TKR 3 years post op

Hi All,

I’m still having “zingers , or pins and needles “type pain around my kneecap was wondering is this something that others have 7+ months post op? If indeed it is nerves waking up how long does it last? It’s been weeks since I started feeling these “Zingers”.
 
Zingers are all a part of TKR recovery I am afraid. At 7 months out you are just over half way through a process that can take one year or longer. Keep icing that knee.This will all ease with time.
 
With all the surgeries I've had through the years I can still get mild zingers in my tkr knee. I know it's perfectly normal, so I don't worry about it. As your knee heals your zingers will become less painful and will probably go away completely.
 
I will be 7 months on the 4th and still get the odd zing here and there lol. Still healing and scar still has some red colour to it.
 
Thanks for all your input
My swelling has never gone away.
 
No, I don't have visible surgery swelling anymore. If I stand around it will get tight, but as soon as I walk and bend it loosens up so assume it still gets swollen in the knee capsule. I do tend to have inflammation throughout my body normally. I should be on an inflammation diet but...lol. I have in the past worn compression socks for inflammation some times for my ankles and calves, but that was also prior to tkr. They feel good, but I am not diligent wearing them at all...especially in the summer. Is your knee still visible swelling?
 
..yes, I still have a lot of swelling, it has NEVER been not swollen ever since my TKR surgery 8-17. My operated knee is twice the size of my non operated knee.
 
Oh, that is too bad. I hope it resolves soon. My issue is getting a better bend and still uncomfortable doing stairs. Keep doing them but sore.
 
yes, I still have a lot of swelling, it has NEVER been not swollen
Nancan, I'm almost a month and a half out fromy TKR and get paingul swelling if I do much of anything. Has your doctor said why it might be still happening?
 
@Dedou
He has not. I will see him in 2 weeks. I have been doing some research and am wondering if it is a messed up lymphatic system.
Any moderators want to chime in?
 
We have no way of knowing whether your lymphatic system is messed up. Only your doctor can tell that. Be sure to bring that up to him when you see him and don't let him blow it off.
 
Hi all!

Long story short Ortho surgeon is sending me for a second opinion. My swelling is still happening ... all day everyday no matter what I do or don’t do. Very frustrating . I am weaning off gabapentin and now I am feeling pain in my knee again and my big toe is acting weird again ( the way it was before starting gabapentin). Anyone out there in bonesmart land have an answer or remedy? I’m extremely depressed over all this and not looking forward to seeing another OS.
 
Second opinion help needed!

I am going for my second opinion this week and need some help in what I should focus on during the appointment. My main issue is I still have swelling all day everyday and at times it is really painful.
Nancy
 
Ask for an MRI so you can see what's really happening. I had an insufficient fracture in my other unoperated knee that wasn't seen on an X-ray or ultrasound because it wasn't detectable on those images. If I had of accepted that and not gone to a specialist I would never had found out what's wrong.
I live in Australia and the procedure here is that only surgeons or specialists can request certain imaging that regular doctors can't request. Getting the correct detailed imaging may give you a more accurate answer. The right MRI gave me the answer and appropriate treatment.

Don't let them turn you away until you get the answers help you want, good doctors will always care for your health.
 
@Goma
Thank you for responding, I did have an MRI last December which wasn’t very helpful as the knee replacement gave off artifacts which hindered a complete reading.
 
Is your second opinion with a surgeon who knows your surgeon? If so, I suggest you seek a third opinion, that you find on your own, who does not know your surgeon, to get a totally unbiased opinion. A third opinion is also just a good idea in general, in case the first 2 differ a lot, to try to find a balance of opinions.
 
There's an MRI you can have that is compatible with knee replacements or any type of replacement. My son is a carpenter and many years ago he had some shards of metal lodged in his eye. Eventhough the metal was successfully removed he still has to advise the operator when he has an MRI "just in case ".

I think they change the machine.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by artifacts.
 
"Artifacts" with the MRI are when the metal interferes with the signal and you get distortions in the image or random "spots" that appear.
 
@Jockette,

yes they know each other but do not work together . Two different health organizations. My appt with the 2nd opinion was disappointing. My all day swelling he attributed to scar tissue. He said I was doing well, ie, good gait, good flexion at one 120. No X-ray findings :(
 
Hi Everyone,

I’m just three years post op and still have trouble going down stairs. Anyone else have this issue?
Nan
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom