I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he wanted was to see what my knee would do. Never one question about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself, so obviously he trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.
After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need PT, and neither does anyone else if they do their own daily activities. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT either. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
@Nancan
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
I just want to toss something in here. Well, two things. #1 you said your in your recliner icing and elevating. Are you getting your leg above your heart in the recliner? Elevating is really a never unsung hero in recovery.
And for #2 forget going to PT. Your PT has failed you, not the other way around. Many of us haven't participated in 'formal' PT. I know my surgeon felt he had to write the prescription for PT but told me I knew best and not doing PT (for me) was the right thing.
Take it easy. Are you using a cane? That will help your balance and your gate. No shame in using one.
Thank you for replies. As it turns out it was folliculitis. Most likely from shaving but my dr is not sure. The antibiotic ointment worked and my rash is almost clear.
Now I’m going to ask another question... today my knee was swollen way more than any other day. Pain is almost unbearable! I started to walk outside yesterday... just 5 -8 minutes can that be the reason for my swelling? I am 8 weeks post op and wondering if such drastic swelling is normal.
Yes, the walk outside could be the reason. Rest, ice and elevate, to help reduce the swelling and stiffness.
Next time, walk for a shorter period, just a minute or two, and only increase the length of your walk gradually, if you experience no ill effects.
Yes your knee is telling you that was too much. I'd elevate/ice only for several days. When you decide to walk outside go 5 minutes away from your house. It seems like we should all be able to do more, but alas the knee is in charge.
On your walk were you using a cane? Your gait will be off from the surgery so using a cane helps that somewhat.
Hi All,
Yes! I use my cane. I have been in a lot of pain the last two days. I am unable to take nsaids so I only have Tylenol, ice and elevation. I am suppose to go to PT today . I will not let them hurt me but sometimes they say “ can you try doing this exercise”? Since I don’t know how my knee will react I do try a rep or two and if it hurts I stop. Well, today I’m probably not going to do even the ones I was able to do last week. There is a hefty fee to cancel ( which insurance doesn’t pay) so I guess I will go and just tell them today is a bad day. I understand why they charge a fee as there are a lot of flaky people but for those of us that are sincere it’s a pain to go when your in pain just to avoid a “fee”. I’m suppose to go back to work on 12/1 but at this rate not sure I’m going to make it. For reference My surgery was 8-17 and I have a physical healthcare job. My husband bought me a Tens unit today which I plan to use. Anyone have any other suggestions for pain relief . Arnica? Any help will be appreciated.
Hello Nancan, I am two months further along 6/17 TKR and a few strategies worked well; the large tens pads seemed to work after a shower as a soother to my knee even without being turned on. Go figure. Then I would wrap with a small ice compress at times over the pads. Just the adhesion on the skin did some work. Ditto the trick of a CBD balm massage covered in Saran Wrap before sleep. (Go to YouTube for demo)
Pt is no good when you have anticipatory pain. For me it worked like a giant amplifier. My pt office did not charge the fee even when they could because they did not want the bad community rap.
Don't panic about your return to work. Sometimes you can feel like you aren't making progress but a few weeks make a big difference. I think you are exactly right to try a rep or two and if it's too painful say "that's it for today for that one." Sometimes PTs will give you an alternate exercise.
Is PT helping you with a particular issue or are they just hanging onto you at this point?
I stopped PT at 6 weeks but left the door open for a "refresher" visit if I felt like I needed it.
I did tylenol on a regular schedule and ice for pain.
Remember your in charge, not the PT or the PT office. If you don't care to keep going then don't schedule anymore appointments. I know the pressure the surgeons and PT people put on you that you "have to" attend. Sometimes standing up to them is the best thing possible.
As for going back to work, that's several weeks away. Concentrate on your knee and yourself. Good habits when walking, icing & elevating. You are on your knee's timetable, no one elses.
Thank you all for your replies and advice. It’s 10:30pm and my knee is raging so much that I went from my bed back to the recliner and watching the election results. Ugh! I’m tired but this knee won’t let me sleep! My GP has sent in a prescription for a sleeping aid and hopefully I will get it tomorrow . I’m so tired...I have more bags than Kim K! I’m so thankful for this forum. Is anyone else taking a sleeping aid?
Many of us had to take a sleeping aid short term until the knee allowed us to sleep better. Sleep is very important in this recovery. Sleep when you can and where you can.
Thanks Sister,
The sleep aid helped me sleep about 1 1/2 more hours for which I am grateful.
I have a question about walking ... 1) should I get all new shoes? What shoes are the best for support and keeping a good gait.
It's a good idea to replace any walking shoes you wear regularly. Any good shoes store will be able to advise you on a good walking shoe. When I lived in the US I always bought SAS shoes - good support and great walking shoes.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.