Guest viewing is limited

THR 3 weeks tomorrow

I will still limp especially if I walk a lot and my leg gets tired without the cane. I can mask it with the cane or especially if pushing a shopping cart.
I made a point of not napping right from the start, even stated in my handbook from the OS to try not to nap, made sleeping at night better.
 
I use cane in limited fashion when I go for longer walks and start getting tired. Makes the limp go away. Can’t remember when true normalcy returned with left hip, but I am thinking limp disappeared completely around 8-10 week mark (maybe sooner). I am limping less now than I was before surgery!
 
Hi @Newhip2/14
Try heel-toe walking with the cane. It takes concentration but helps with the limp.
PT advised...heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes. Try it.....see what you think.
I hope your week is great!
 
I had a little set back yesterday. Went shopping and stepped wrong and turned my ankle. It’s quite sore but not bruising, but the hip feels fine. The thought of what “could have happened” about made me sick!
 
I walk around the house without my cane. Now I'm concentrating on my foot fall. There is very little outside that is level, so I take my security blanket/cane. I try to remember what I read about how to walk with a cane. Left hip~left hand on the cane~move the cane in sync with my left leg. Just remembering that I need to keep them scynced and to touch the ground with my cane and not lean on it, unless I need it, f course. Just keeping leg & cane moving together helps me think about heel-toe, sholders back, engage my core.... I am actually more aware of my surroundings, where the trip hazards are, etc. I look forward to using my cane for a tap dancing prop. Motivation:flwrysmile:
 
If it's your left hip you keep the cane in your right hand. If you go to my recovery thread there is a video on how to use a cane. You move the cane to your operated side for going up and down stairs and move the good leg up first. Going down it's operated leg down first.
 
I think we all find our first misstep to be scary @Newhip2/14. Luckily most of us survive it and learn from it.
 
"Could have happened" but thankfully it didn't! We all know that scary feeling.
Then sometimes it DOES happen with the only result being you were scared to death!
I've read of trips, slips and falls and a loveable wild woman flipping a 4 wheeler, lol!
And guess what....all are okay. Doesn't take away the scary feeling though.
Hope you're week is great and you feel stable on your feet!
@Newhip2/14
 
Luckily the weak link was not the hip, but the ankle, and it is getting better. Doing RICE for the ankle and walking okay. Scary it was!! I’ve used more pain meds for the dang ankle than I did for the hip.
 
Yep, ankles...agh. It’s 4 weeks today since I injured my foot/ankle and it’s still a dusky colour and swollen. I hope yours heals a lot faster.
 
Glad that your ankle is recovering.
With regard to you limp I agree with the others focus on heel toe walking and this will help it stop
 
I’m wondering about once precautions are lifted...Does that mean you can (try) to tie your shoes and half crawl to get the clothes out of the washer that’s on the bottom of the stacked w/dryer and get stuff out of dishwasher and dress without aids? Seems impossible! Someone mentioned taking a bath. I worry about getting into the tub. Am I over worrying and those things will seem normal again?
@Jackie222 @Layla @Gidget @MamaT @Eman85 (those two PT guys on the videos are entertaining, aren’t they?) Thanks for tips with cane walking and turned ankle. It’s comforting to hear that others have had mishaps and survived. I’ve been icing the ankle and watching tv and Netflix. Don’t know how much more I can take.
@AgilityDog hope your infection clears up quickly and your recovery continues. You’ve been doing great!
 
Once restrictions were lifted I just let my body lead me. I would try something but if it didn’t feel right I’d stop then try again another day. To begin with things I couldn't do surprised me but then I was equally surprised when all of a sudden I could do them. I’m trying to remember my first bath but I can’t, so it must have been pretty uneventful :)
 
People I know that have had THR can dress themselves, cut their toe nails and take baths. It's just going to take time and strengthening the muscles that hold the hip in place. I've broken the rules a few times already, once everything limbered up it's hard to break old habits! So far so good. The 2 guys in the video have a few other videos about PT for hip replacement that are pretty good.
 
Almost two eeeks since spraining my ankle (6 1/2 weeks post op) Got a shoe on today and went for a walk down the street with the family. I say please let me push the stroller! I think Bout all the things we got used to not doing with a bad hip and think about regaining some of those skills and how it’s going to take time. No rushing. Any tips for reconditioning? Classes or types of training to do?
 
Any tips for reconditioning? Classes or types of training to do?
Just walking and concentration on do this without a limp is all the rehab you need. Hips don't really need any type of "training" - just a lot of patience.
 
All of the simple exercises are on the net. The hardware manufacturers sites have good info and the PT listed. What does your OS suggest?
 
Last edited:
My OS says you have no restrictions . Begin to forget you had surgery. I’m starting to do that. Picked up something from the floor yesterday and put lotion on the operated leg. He did say, of course you’ve become de conditioned. I felt that yesterday walking when the good leg was tired!
 
Back
Top Bottom