Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR 3+ months LK Revision

@grey j
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @grey j Happy Friday to you!
The sensation (pins and needles) you describe occurs as nerve endings cut during surgery begin reconnecting or finding new pathways. While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process. So while uncomfortable, its all part of the process and only temporary.

Spasms: You may consider Magnesium as it has worked for some members. Magnesium supports the following -
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Another inexpensive option worth trying is drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

I hope you have a nice weekend and find relief soon!
 
Hi... Left knee revision was 6/8/22. I have been doing PT 2X a week for 2 months not doing anything that hurts, I learned the hard way, 1st go-round of PT........ Stopped PT last week. My knee is still very painful, I am able to walk about 15min, then must stop because of pain. It is difficult to sit for any length of time. I was told that recovery would be longer and more painful. Anyone else finding that a revision is long and painful?
 
@grey j Welcome to Recovery again. Best wishes that this will go really well for you!

I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Hello, 7 months after a left knee revision, moving on very slowly. Now I realize that I will probably need TKR on my right knee. I don’t think I can lose another year ( too old).! Has anyone had any interaction with Regenerative Medicine for the knee instead of surgery? I see and hear many advertisement for QC Kinetics….any one know anything about them?
 
Hello @grey j,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions for finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Hello Again.... 9 months after my left knee revision. Still painful walking, after about 20 minutes, my knee is stiff. Also have swelling below my knee cap on the inside of my knee. Has anyone had a knee revision and what is/was your experience. Thanks
 
@grey j, I am so sorry that you are still having problems with your new knee. What does your OS say?

Do find others that have had a revision just click on this on the Knee Recovery page:
[Bonesmart.org] 3+ months LK Revision
 
Hi @grey j, I had revision TKR about three weeks after you did. I still have pain and stiffness at times but it continues to improve. Honestly, I think we’re all on our own individual healing journey and we kinda have to take it as it comes. My experience has been a lot of pain in the first two months that improved to pain for the next several months and now have only occasional pain. I walked with a cane through early-mid January. I wasn’t able to even take steps without the cane until September 15. I still have swelling if we get bad weather or if I walk a lot. It does seem to resolve quickly compared to earlier on. I also get stiffness if I walk more than usual, sit for long periods (as when riding in or driving a car), the weather is bad or I stand for a long time (as when cooking). I do well with walking for the most part. I still can’t completely straighten my leg on my own but I can push on it and get it straight if it’s relaxed. I’m pretty sure this will be an 18+ month journey for my knee. It went through a lot so I’m trying to be patient with it.

Good luck and I hope your swelling and stiffness improve soon!
 
I year after left knee revision and I am unable to walk for more than 20 minutes, too painful. My knee is stiff and painful no matter what I do. I am very discouraged with the progress of my recovery.
I am interested in hearing about others revision surgery.
 
I'm sorry to read that you are still struggling, @grey j. What does your surgeon say? Have you sought a second opinion?

If you are interested in the journey of others, here is a link to threads from others who have been through TKR revision surgery:

Some are still active on the forum, so you may be able to connect with them.
 
I had left knee revision surgery, June 2022 to replace 1st surgery, 2019, that was too loose! I have had pain in the revision knee since the surgery. the surgeon tells me that all of the parts are in the right place and stable. He has no answer for the pain. Every step that I take is painful, the pain has diminished the quality of my life and activities of daily living. I recently heard about GAE, Genicular Artery Embolization, from a Cardiologist.
Does anyone have information about this procedure. Appreciate any comments. Thank you!
 
@grey j I have moved your post into your original recovery thread. Members are asked to maintain just one thread for continuity.

Since you haven't been on the forum in some time, you may not be aware that in January, we implemented a new membership program. You are currently a Basic Member, which means you may search the forum to find the answers you are looking for. To get personalized advice, however, you must choose one of our subscription options for the Insiders Club. As an Insider, you can receive one-on-one personalized support to quickly answer any questions or concerns you may have. We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club, so we can support you with your upcoming procedure.
 
I had left knee revision surgery, June 2022 to replace 1st surgery, 2019, that was too loose! I have had pain in the revision knee since the surgery. the surgeon tells me that all of the parts are in the right place and stable. He has no answer for the pain. Every step that I take is painful, the pain has diminished the quality of my life and activities of daily living. I recently heard about GAE, Genicular Artery Embolization, from a Cardiologist.
Does anyone have information about this procedure. Appreciate any comments. Thank you!
I had this and it did absolutely nothing for me other than maybe a couple days of pain reduction. The $5k cost however has been even more painful (this is after insurance and I did not expect it)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom