Revision TKR 3+ months LK Revision

Thank you for your comments....I have a 1 year post op appointment with the surgeon in early December, I plan on getting a second opinion after this visit. I had PT 2 x a week until September, now I have PT once a week, mostly stretching and quad muscle strengthing....I walk or go to the gym 2 to 3 days a week. I also work 3, 2 hr days a week. My knee is painful and swollen after working or exercise.
 
My knee is painful and swollen after working or exercise.
I would stop going to the gym and PT for a while and give your knee a rest. It’s counterproductive to keep exercising a knee that hurts. Often we are told to keep pushing, but if that isn‘t working then maybe it’s time to consider a change.
 
Hi,
I just read all your posts and responses. My heart goes out to you but I also have sympathy pains. I am 6 months out from a TKR and it has been very challenging..chasing my tail . And I also went through an allergic reaction...not to wasps (but I too am allergic to them) but to Celebrex...was very scary. Just know that you are not alone and that your posts also made me feel less alone:)
 
Hi Moka.....Thank you for your reply....I will be 1 yr post op on December 9th...My knee is very stiff. I still have pain and swelling in my ankle and knee, walking remains painful..I am beyond discouraged...12 month post op appt with the OS is on 12/14...and I am trying to find a Dr for a second opinion, who is not affiliated with the current OS. I have been told numerous times that healing can continue into year 2....but I thought and I was prepared to be back “ in the game” after 6 months, but that hasn’t happened.
 
It's true that some people take longer than a year to totally heal. I started to feel so much better into my second year. This recovery isn't etched in stone and a one-size-fits-all. It's different for every one of us.
 
Does Knee Flexion increase much in year 2?...I will be 1 yr post op on 12/10 knee flexion is 100. OS is suggestion MUA, my answer is NO....I have had a difficult recovery.
Thanks for your advice.
 
Hi @grey j
Yes, in some cases flexion can continue to increase in the second year post-op. I remember on member saying that she had discovered, by accident, that her flexion had increased in year 3.
If your knee is still stiff and has some residual swelling, then flexion can increase as the remains of the swelling go away.

Here's an example from Campervan, whose flexion increased 6 years after her surgery:

92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "
 
By the way, I've merged your latest thread with your original thread - did you lose the original thread?

We prefer members to have only one recovery thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?
Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?
.
 
My ROM continued to improve through my second year, as my whole leg continued to heal and relax, and I feel it even got better in my third year.

With the pain and swelling you still have, I would look into a second opinion.

In spite of a decent ROM, I am not happy with the constant discomfort I still have, and it’s been well over 3 years. I’ve had 2 second opinions, one at 15 months, and one just before my 2 year anniversary, but neither surgeon found anything to fix, not that they looked very hard for a problem, since they both said my X-ray was fine. And, they were both in totally different states from where I had my surgery.
 
@grey j I am in a similar situation as you, though I no longer have pain in my TKR knee. I saw my surgeon at the 11 month mark AND at the 16 month mark because I can't get past 95-100 degrees, depending on the day. I also asked about an MUA both times and was told by 2 surgeons and a PA that an MUA at this point won't gain you anything. It just sets back your recovery and causes more swelling, thus making it harder to get back to where you are NOW. :thud:

Can you tell us what your knee flexion was like BEFORE the TKR? Did you had previous surgeries on that knee or limited flexion going into the TKR? That is a HUGE prediction of what your flexion will be after the TKR. People think TKR will just increase their flexion drastically, but nope---it gets rid of the pain, fixes your gait, and allows you to walk (mostly) pain-free again.

As for me, I was warned that due to my own extensive surgical history and problems with this knee, my flexion would not just miraculously be perfect or normal. It couldn't be predicted at all. I would have to wait and see. :tantrum: I had a load of adhesions from a previous fiasco surgery in 2016 (A different procedure from a TKR that caused documented arthrofibrosis). THAT is why my flexion stinks, but they kind of forgot to remind me about that when my flexion had trouble coming along after the TKR. My adhesions had been flexible from 2016 (following MUA at 11 wks post-op and lots of forced PT) up to 2019 when I had the TKR. The lack of motion following my TKR (due to a severe inflammatory response to the TKR surgery) caused a slow recovery and slow return to bending---which allowed my adhesions to stiffen up again. It was just an unfortunate circumstance I had to deal with and get past.

I only mention ALLLLLL of this because there are sooooooo many different reasons that flexion can be delayed or unable to return to normal. :flabber:Time helps into the 2nd year and even 3rd year, but some of us are just oddities unfortunately. I count myself lucky to be able to walk and use my elliptical at 18 months post-op, though I miss riding a bike for exercise. I can make rotations after warming up on the elliptical, but it's not a good feeling or fun to do.

One other thing that worked for me mentally----I have to keep asking myself if I'm better off now than before my TKR, even with limited flexion. My answer is yes--less pain, able to exercise more, able to shop and go on vacation again, etc. It stinks to not be able to do stairs normally all the time or ride a bike for fun, but I am definitely better off than before. I am in NO WAY invalidating your frustrations or telling you to get over it...just wanting to throw some other things out there, in case any of it helps. :)

--Lisa
 
Thank you Rockgirl4 for your reply. Before the surgery, I did not have any knee problems...in fact I didn’t even have any pain or related problems, until one day my knee just collapsed, diagnosis severe osteoporosis. I am able to do my daily routine, but not much more, used to walk, 3 to 5 miles daily, walking 30 minutes is still painful.....I,thought I was prepared for TKR, but was not prepared for what is happening now.
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
If we aren't prepared for the recovery of a TKR it is a shock after it is done. My doctor was pretty truthful with me about it and I had joined Bonesmart 6 months before, so I was prepared. It still wasn't easy, though. Following the Bonesmart way really helped me to survive it with less pain and swelling. Ice was my best friend for many months.
 
Hi...I was interested to read that, healing does continue after 1 yr post op. I was told by my surgeon last week, (1yr post op) that healing would not continue and what I am experiencing, stiff knee and painful walking, was what I could expect...X-rays were “perfect“ and my knee is stable...blood work is all normal..
I am trying to think positive and have made an appointment for a second opinion in February, all I need is a little encouragement from a Dr at this point.
 
@grey j
My knee continued to feel better over several years, ROM increased at around a year and a half.
Celle left you information about another member who had ROM gains at 3 years, see post # 47.
Glad to hear you have a second opinion scheduled for February.

You'll notice that I have copied your newest post with your original recovery thread. A copy remains in Hiker76's thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I don't know why we put doctors on pedestals they are human just like us and make mistakes. A real professional would put his ego to the side and tell the truth instead of trying to hide their incompetence.

I'm here to tell you from my experience healing continues way after a year. I'm 18 months removed from a total knee replacement and every day that goes by my knee gets better and stronger. My ROM stated around 55 after surgery and now it's at 160 and I barely think about my knee now.

I give credit to my OS Dr. Danielle Ponzio for her true professionalism.

My motto is If your doctor is giving you the runaround get a second or third opinion. Believe me, you're worth it.
 
My healing also went way past the year mark. I ended up with a great ROM and very little pain.
Thank you for the positive response!
Merry Christmas and a Healthy Happy New Year!
 
I don't know why we put doctors on pedestals they are human just like us and make mistakes. A real professional would put his ego to the side and tell the truth instead of trying to hide their incompetence.

I'm here to tell you from my experience healing continues way after a year. I'm 18 months removed from a total knee replacement and every day that goes by my knee gets better and stronger. My ROM stated around 55 after surgery and now it's at 160 and I barely think about my knee now.

I give credit to my OS Dr. Danielle Ponzio for her true professionalism.

My motto is If your doctor is giving you the runaround get a second or third opinion. Believe me, you're worth it.
Thank you for your positive response, I have a second opinion scheduled in February..feeling better after hearing about so many having continued improvement in year 2 and beyond. Happy Healty 2021!
 
I'd say most of my ROM gain happened within the first 12 weeks, but I did get a bit more over the succeeding months. I sort of noticed it accidentally--I remember doing something and suddenly thought "wait, I didn't used to be able to bend my leg this far--when did that happen?" :yes!:My OS did not indicate I would get more ROM after the first few months, but he did say it would be a full year until you feel "normal."
 
I'd say most of my ROM gain happened within the first 12 weeks, but I did get a bit more over the succeeding months. I sort of noticed it accidentally--I remember doing something and suddenly thought "wait, I didn't used to be able to bend my leg this far--when did that happen?" :yes!:My OS did not indicate I would get more ROM after the first few months, but he did say it would be a full year until you feel "normal."
Thank you...I am not close to “normal” yet!..... but continuing to think positive.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom