TKR 3-17 RTKR and Totally "On Course"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ironman60 I just happened to have my mouse hover over it (though it was just there for informational purposes) when the words "Style Chooser" popped up! It is nice because the highlight and "quote me" function works but it isn't quite like it used to be as it isn't quite as quick to go back and forth between pre and post op forums.
 
Hi @Phil75070
Hope you are well.
Things seem to be getting better with the site.
Are you coming back to BoneSmart?
We miss you!
 
It sure is hit or miss regarding the website performance. It can be back to normal for a couple of clicks then the next one takes forever to load. I just don't have the patience anymore, I guess.

Well, I was hoping to hold out until next January before I get my left knee done but it has really been bothering me for the last several days, painful just to walk. Fortunately, it doesn't affect my golf swing, though! :yes: I have a follow up with my OS scheduled for the end of the month and I'll ask him if he can give me another cortisone injection. This one lasted two months so if I can at least make it to November then not playing golf from then through January while our weather it at its coldest and "iffiest" won't be so bad, I guess. However, dealing with recovery over the holidays is something I was hoping to avoid. We'll have to see.

Since I am on now and here, I will post my latest joke here:

A man had 50 yard line tickets for the Super Bowl.
As he sat down, he noticed that the seat next to him was empty.
He asked the man on the other side of the empty seat whether anyone was sitting there.
"No," the man replied, "The seat is empty."
"This is incredible," said the first man.
"Who in their right mind would have a seat like this for the Super Bowl, the biggest sporting event in the world and not use it?"
The second man replied, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away.
This will be the first Super bowl we haven't been together since we got married in 1967."
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. But couldn't you find someone else -- a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat?"

The man shook his head. "No, they're all at the funeral."
 
We have missed you! Watching PGA championship which is exciting right now. Hope this website proves soon.
 
I basically had my 6 month follow up today with my OS. Very interesting. Flexion 120 (125 with assistance), and extension 2. In discussing this I said I was of the understanding that it could take a year to gain full ROM. He said there is a new study that says it can improve (or "could take" depending on how you look at it) for up to TWO years. He was very pleased with where I am in my recovery as I can basically perform any activity, golf, walking long distances, up and down stairs and steep slopes, etc. pain free - only some "tightness" and "clicking". Next appointment is on my 1 year annkneeversary at which time he will take more x-rays.

We discussed prostheses. Sizing is not all the same from one manufacturer to the next, so even though a specific device may have been discussed prior to surgery he will have 2-3 prostheses in the OR and choose the one that has the best fit. My DePuy Attune has a rotating platform. Most are a fixed platform which is great for the majority of people. A rotating platform he reserves for those who are more athletic (golf counts!) as there is more twisting of the knee and a rotating platform reduces wear on the the plastic insert. He also said a rotating platform is more expensive and with where insurance is going he may not have the option of using the more expensive solution as they will not cover it. He sees that day coming and not far away. I believe others have seen this issue in regard to Conformis custom prostheses.

In regard to my left, non-operative knee starting to bother me again, he did give me another injection of cortisone but based on his questions and my answers he thought I may also have a meniscus tear in addition to the arthritis causing the pain. My goal is still to schedule the left knee shortly after New Years Day. He finds varus deformities more of his specialty so he said if I am pleased with the job he did on my right valgus knee I should be ecstatic with the outcome of my left knee. I hope he is right. I don't know why an OS would be better at one or the other of if one deformity is easier to correct than the other.

Finally, per his observation and studies that have been done, hip replacement people are more likely to say the joint that was replaced eventually gets to a point of feeling "normal". Knee replacement people are less likely to feel the same about their artificial knee(s).
 
@Phil75070 I appreciated your detailed report of your 6 month. That truly is helpful! It is interesting that some doc.s are now being more honest realistic about the recovery and ROM. My knee has improved greatly over the past week. I wish I could walk more. My PT says I don't "trust" it enough yet. When I read all this stuff about prosthesis's (That looks funny) I wish I had known more. My OS said before surgery he would be using the Stryker triathlon. I don't feel there is anything wrong (at all) with it. I just never knew to ask a few more questions. All the talk of varus and valgus......Do all OS look at that before/at the time of surgery. I have no idea what I was?? Anyway, I appreciated your report.
~~hopefaith
 
Hi Phil,
Just stopping by to say hello on your thread. Thought you may want to take a look and see of you are guilty of any of these:

Top Ten Signs You’re Golfing Too Much

  • When you pick up something off the floor, you have to lean on your putter
  • The only number on your speed dial is 1-800-TEETIME.
  • You have your priorities in order: food, shelter, greens fees, job.
  • You dream you go to prison but still get conjugal visits with your driver.
  • You tell the lost motorist that the gas station is only a par 4 away on the left.
  • You’d like to take off your glove but hey, why bother?
  • Whenever you see a hole in the ground, you squat, squint and read the line.
  • You’re vaguely aware of living with a woman, allegedly your wife
  • You ask the shopper ahead in the checkout line if you can play through.
  • Before you pick up the salt shaker, you mark its position with a dime.
Be honest...:)
 
@71Beetle Those pretty well describe me! One could add:

- you have slippers that look like golf shoes
- all of your polo shirts have golf company logos on the collar
- you have more golf hats than your wife has shoes.
- you have as many golf shoes as you have dress shoes
 
Hi Phil,
Hope you are well. We haven't seen you on the forum for the past couple of days.
We miss your jokes :)
Have a great weekend!
 
I was playing with the dog last night and ended up kneeling on my new knee briefly. Boy did that feel strange. I did wake up around 4:00 am with pain reminiscent of the old arthritic pain and in the same place as well. It soon went away and I played golf today with no problem and there have been no other ill effects so far.
 
Kneeling feels funny, it is the soft tissue complaining, don't think the implant cares one way or the other.
Glad your golf game was not a problem.
 
I agree golf is all in your head, once you have learned the basics. As are most sports.
No matter what it is always great to be outside and enjoying what you love.
 
Hi Phil,
Just checking in to see how you are doing.
I miss your jokes on my thread.
:)
 
Well, I was hoping to hold off until January to get my other knee replaced, depending on cortisone shots to get me there. Unfortunately, this last one didn't really help at all so I have scheduled my LTKR for the morning of November 10. On the positive side I don't have to go through all of the doctor visits and tests for pre-approval this time as my OS figures just a blood test on the day of surgery will suffice as everything found previously has remained stable or improved (I visit a hematologist/oncologist for blood draws and CT scans every three months).

@71Beetle Here's a joke for you, timely at this time of year:

So this cabbie picks up a Nun. She gets into the cab, and notices that the very handsome cab driver won't stop staring at her. She asks him why he is staring. "I have a question to ask you, but I don't want to offend you," says the cabbie. "My son, you cannot offend me," says the Nun. "When you're as old as I am and have been a Nun as long as I have, you get a chance to see and hear just about everything. I'm sure that there's nothing you could say or ask that I would find offensive." "Well," said the cabbie, "I've always had a fantasy to have a Nun kiss me." "Well, lets see what we can do about that," the Nun replies. "First, you have to be single and, second, you must be Catholic." The cabbie is very excited and says, "Yes, I'm single and Catholic!" "Okay," says the Nun. "Pull into the next alley." The Nun fulfills his fantasy with a passionate kiss but, when they get back on the road, the cabbie starts crying. "My dear child," says the Nun, "why are you crying?" "Forgive me, Sister, for I have sinned," says the cabbie. "I lied, and I must confess that I'm married and I'm a Methodist." That's okay," says the Nun. "My name is Kevin and I'm going to a costume party."
 
Oh @Phil75070 you've no idea how much you just cheered me up.

I'm sorry you have to have your other knee done but maybe it's better to get it done out if the way perhaps?

They're going to do an Arthroscopy on my other knee once this revisions healed. But it is delaying the inevitable xxx
 
Phil, I've seen your posts on different threads and just read a bunch of your original thread. (I've had a lot of time to read in the past five weeks!)

My husband and I have never played golf, but my father was a golfer with a two stroke handicap. He was awesome. Mom was a "normal" golfer, we had a party when she broke 100. They built a retirement home on the 18th green of a coop club in North Carolina. They loved it and I'm so glad they had that time.

I've enjoyed your posts, and even your jokes. You seem like a sweet cake. Good luck with the next, and final, knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom