Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee replacement updates

Those first outings can feel really draining. Add to that any anxiety over the removal of a great number of staples, which can be an energy sucker also...and it's no wonder you're exhausted, Ann. You're a trooper though and hopefully you will sleep soundly tonight. :sleep:

I certainly wouldn't worry about unrealistic timelines at only two weeks post op. Trust that your body is healing as it should and you'll get to where you want to be soon enough.:thumb: Bravo for getting through an active day!
@Annk
 
My flexion was only 61 should have been 70 at 2 weeks
As Jockette said, there is no "should have been" because there is no timeline for this recovery.

At your early stage post-op, you still have lots of internal swelling inside that knee (even if you can't see it on the outside). As that inflammation goes down, your bend with improve all on its own.

Icing and elevating often throughout the day can help the process along.
 
Hi Ann, hope you’re feeling better this week. I had my revision TKR on the 20th of March. My Surgeon Dr. Darren Chen uses stitches that dissolve over time. My wound has healed mostly except at the top where I would assume knots exist under the skin. Know it’s not a race, just heal and recover as well as your body can in time. I have an unrealistic deadline to recover, but my workplace needs me back ASAP, so that’s what I’m aiming for. I find icing and elevating to be the best method to help with pain management. I use a Cryocast to help. You know that it takes a year to recover fully. It did in both cases with my knees, but everyone’s journey is different. You will feel better and be stronger soon.
 
Today is 3 weeks post op. Still feeling exhausted but doing small walks outside approximately 10 minutes. Weather is getting nice in my area now so it felt nice to get outside in the sunshine. Still having pain but tolerable with icing elevation and pain meds.
I am still feeling light headed when I am up moving around. My knee is still quite stiff too. I am just looking forward to feeling normal again soon.
 
Slow and steady progress is good. You will feel better. It’s the early days of recovery still.
 
I am still feeling light headed when I am up moving around.
This happens to me when I am slightly dehydrated, causing my blood pressure to drop.

Be sure you are getting lots of fluids. Our bodies need extra hydration during recovery.
 
I am still feeling light headed when I am up moving around.
This happens to me when I am slightly dehydrated, causing my blood pressure to drop.

Be sure you are getting lots of fluids. Our bodies need extra hydration during recovery.
Definitely agree with @benne68 on this. I have postural tachycardia anyway and I can get a bit light headed standing. Lots of fluid helps. I was definitely worse in the first few weeks of rehab.
 
You might try some of the flavored hydration powders that are available these days. They can make hydration easier as you mix them with water and they taste great.
 
Hi Ann,
Along with staying hydrated, make sure you are also taking in adequate protein daily to help deal with the reduced energy you're experiencing. Normal is coming, sadly it takes a lot of patience, but once you're feeling less exhausted you'll likely notice more progress. Hang in there...good things coming! :SUNsmile:
@Annk
 
Today is 1 month post op TKR. Still having significant pain and stiffness. I am frequently icing elevating. I am doing mild exercises and walking about 10 minutes x2 times a day. Still taking extra strength Tylenol during day and night. Sometimes taking Advil too. My concern is my inner knee pain. Stabbing throbbing pain. I also take Lyrica at night. How long does it take to ease up. Reading my previous post from my first knee in 2023 I had the same problem at 2 months so I am getting concerned. Does anyone else have this burning stabbing inner knee pain.
Thanks
 
Also wanted to ask if cupping is safe on side of knee at 1 month post surgery.
 
@Annk
i had something similar with my first TKR but it was sudden and felt like something had torn, and was okay again within a couple weeks so I'm afraid i can't be any help there.

what does your OS office say about the stabbing throbbing burning pain on your inner knee? sounds very uncomfortable!

I'm also interested in hearing what BoneSmart folks say about cupping.
 
Hi Annk,
I am sorry you're hurting. It can be miserable. :console2:
Soft tissues in your knee are still healing at only one month post op. You may experience this from weeks to months longer, slowly easing over time. Stiffness is still common at this point, especially after sitting and when you first wake. Pain will come and go and you may notice that your activity level increases pain. Maybe you could try scaling back on the walks and see if it makes a difference? Do some gentle stretching, engage in the activities of daily living and continue your meds, icing and elevation. One month post op is still early days in the entire scheme of things.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Following is an article on healing that may be of interest to you - HERE

In regard to cupping - I think it would be wise for you to run this topic by your surgeon, letting him know exactly where you want to have it done on your leg.

Wishing you lots of comfort. I hope your days become more bearable soon.
@Annk
 
@Annk .... I'm curious why you are interested in cupping. You're very early in recovery and I doubt your surgeon would go along with it at this point. You need to give your knee a chance to heal on its own. Since you mentioned that similar pain occurred with your other knee, it would not be surprising that you still have some discomfort. As Layla suggested, you should check with your surgeon before agreeing to this treatment.

The pain you're describing does sound like you may be overdoing things a bit, though. The two 10-minute walks a day are okay. But tell me what you consider to be "mild exercise"? And what other activities are you doing like home tasks, trips in the car, or errands? How much are you resting, icing and elevating?
 
Hi @Annk
I just wanted to say that I am 11 weeks post op and though my recovery is not a typical one, I have and have had since the beginning a sharp pain on my medial side of the knee of varying degrees which is always worse on flexion or if I might have done a bit too much in the day.
My PT thinks it is most probably soft tissue inflammation which can take months to recede, so I understand your concern, I spend a lot of time just rubbing the area with my fingers which seems to make it feel a bit better even if I’m just imagining that it does!
You are still very early on in your healing process, hopefully it will settle down for you but I would still mention it at your next OS appointment if you are very concerned.I honestly don’t know anything about cupping but I definitely would not want to be doing anything to my knee without the approval of my OS.
The pain and stiffness is also very normal at your stage, I still have a lot of both and trying to get a good balance of exercise and not doing too much is tough!
Hang in there I’m sure given time you will start to feel better about everything.
 
Thanks for your encouraging message. I just wish the pain would subside soon.
 
When I referred to mild exercises this 10-20 heal slides, leg lifts and a few squats.
 
Hi Annk,
I just wish the pain would subside soon.
I wish this for you also. :console2: "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change"

Wondering if you'll be willing to try a short experiment, like cutting your exercises back by about half, for at least a few days, maybe even longer and see if the stabbing / throbbing pain eases. If things do calm down, you can always
s-l-o-w-l-y increase reps again. You really won't lose progress if you're actively engaging in the activities of daily living, but fingers crossed :fingersx: you gain some comfort. I hope you'll give it a try.:thumb:
 
Doing squats this early in your recovery is doing more harm than good. Your inside soft tissues have not healed enough to be adding this stress to them. This recovery takes an average of 1 year, not 1 month! At 1 month out, you are only 1/12 of the way healed. Just because your incision might be healed, the inside of your knee takes much, much longer to heal.

Please just be gentle with your baby knee. It needs TLC, not leg lifts or squats. Walking is the best thing at your stage of healing. I pray that you find less stress on your knee with give you less pain. There is no time limit on your range of motion or strength building, these improve in months and years. My first of second year, my bend was 120. In the second year it hit 130. I have no idea what it is now, but I am very pleased with my recovery and I did NO formal PT or exercises, just used my daily activities as my PT.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom