Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee replacement updates

@Annk I want to echo the advice to avoid squats on your new knee. My surgeon and my physical therapist told me to avoid them until 3 months post op. The soft tissues iaround the knee take 12 weeks to heal from the trauma they endure during surgery. Putting squat stress on them before they are healed may prolong your recovery and even set you back.

Keeping the knee moving with walking and gentle exercise is all you need at the one month mark. My surgeon encouraged me to do this: sit on a high/elevated chair (so your feet don't touch the floor) and just swing my leg back and forth. Lots of movement with no stress on the joint. It worked really well for regaining flexion without putting myself in any pain. I liked it better than heel slides.
 
On a lighter note, Happy One Month Anniversary, Annk!
Tracking the anniversaries by the day of the month, not the number of weeks, it's easier and also there aren't thirty-one days in April...so stopping by to wish you a good day with hopes you're feeling a lot better by your two month anniversary.
Wishing you many moments of comfort and speedy relief. :console2:
@Annk
 
I too found squats very painful for a few months. I would go very easy on anything that hurts at your stage.
There is plenty of time for more aggressive strength exercises in later months, once you are better healed. The risk is that early on you will just aggravate the healing tissues and cause more inflammation.
 
Today is 2 months post op of my TKR.
Saw my surgeon this week and he said the knee looked fine. They don’t do X-ray until 3 months. I am still having pain and stiffness. Still not sleeping great due to pain. I am still taking OTC pain meds every 4 hours and occasionally Tylenol 4 which has coedine which helps a bit. I am doing a bit more activity around the house puttering nothing major. Still icing and elevating constantly. I am still discouraged about still having pain but both my surgeon and PT said this is still normal at this stage so I have to believe them but it’s hard. I just figured things would be better by now even though I know it’s a full year journey.
 
I just figured things would be better by now
This happens to most of us -- even after we've been through a knee replacement before. I struggled with the same impatience during my second knee recovery, too. We just want to "get back to life."

But, as your surgeon and PT have told -- and as you'll see in many, many posts here on BoneSmart -- what you are experiencing is absolutely normal for someone who is only two months post-op. It takes 12 weeks for all those soft tissues that were pushed and pulled and stretched during surgery to heal from the trauma. And they may well continue to complain even after that.

Celebrate the little milestones, like walking a longer distance or climbing the stairs normally. They will remind you that you ARE making progress.

We're here whenever you need some reassurance about your recovery journey.
 
I iced for 4.5 months, and I can sure you it does get better. The better moments will increase, and then the key is not to join the Over Did It Club. We’ve all been there too.
There’s always someone to talk to on here and you’re 8 weeks on. That’s great.
 
Hi Ann,
I hope you're able to trust your surgeon and PT when they tell you discomfort and pain at this point is normal. Your leg is healing from the controlled trauma of major surgery and it takes time. It can be frustrating when you're still dealing with pain, but it doesn't mean that recovery isn't happening. Think about how far you've come and be patient with yourself. Recovery takes longer than most people expect, but each week can bring small improvements. :thumb:
I hope you have a nice weekend, Ann!
@Annk
 
Two months, to date, since your TKR. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and week. :)
@Annk
 
Thanks. What is frustrating for me is is that I will have a few days where pain levels are lower and then have a day with flare up. Yesterday was a very bad day with lots of pain. I try to look back on previous activities to see what could have been caused flare up but didn’t see anything specific. Is this common at this stage to have bad days with no specific reason.
 
Yes, it is common, Ann, so please no worries.
Recovery is not linear. It doesn't always happen steadily week by week.
Looking back, it can be something you did over the past couple days, not only the day before. Possibly more walking than usual, an aggressive PT session, being on your feet more because you were feeling strong / good. Too much stair climbing, poor sleep. Then there are the awkward movements that may not even register at the time such as twists or pivots as you are rounding corners from one room to another. Simple movements like that can throw you off and have an effect not really noticed at the time.

This recovery can take a full year, even longer for some, so you're still in the relatively early stages, but you're doing it and things will get better. :ok:
I hope you have a lovely weekend, Annk!

[Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee replacement updates

@Annk
 
The is quite normal for your stage of healing. You might not be able to connect to what caused the flareup again, but you might have even done something in your sleep. I found that happened to me pretty frequently in my recovery, even after 6 months and even more!
 
Today is 2 months post op of my TKR.
I am still having pain and stiffness. Still not sleeping great due to pain. I am still taking OTC pain meds every 4 hours and occasionally Tylenol 4 which has coedine which helps a bit. I am doing a bit more activity around the house puttering nothing major. Still icing and elevating constantly. I am still discouraged about still having pain but both my surgeon and PT said this is still normal at this stage so I have to believe them but it’s hard. I just figured things would be better by now even though I know it’s a full year journey.d

IMHO you are normal and doing fine. I was just like this two months out.

I'm coming up on 15 weeks post op and my knee continues to have good days and bad days. I'm still on 200mg/day Celebrex and X-strength Tylenol and .... the operated knee still hurts anyway, a strong dull pain, but it's just in different places than pre-op. I still ice and elevate when the knee starts talking yelling at me, especially when I've been on my feet too much. Ow. Just getting up from a seated position is often still a painful ordeal. Stairs are painful.

We don't seem to heal as quickly as we want, (well, just speaking for myself) and I have the other knee that will go thru this some time in the coming months. Oh, the joy of it all! (Not!) LOL

Hang in there. When people ask me how I'm doing, I just say "there is improvement each week", no matter how small it is, and maintain a positive mindset.
 
stormy, or even just rainy, weather could make my knee flare up.
On that topic...

Many do feel weather changes in their joint. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery for most, but not all.
 
Hang in there. When people ask me how I'm doing, I just say "there is improvement each week", no matter how small it is, and maintain a positive mindset.
Agree. It is best to focus on weekly progress, however small. And not get distracted by ignorant people who ask if you are fully better yet. Reminds me of kids in cars asking "Are we there yet......"!
My arthritic joints are definitely weather affected. My PKR joint less so these days after 3 years post-op. It feels like wet/ cold weather is the worst but apparently it is more to do with barometric pressure than actual temperatures.
 
How are you doing, @Annk ? We haven't heard from you in a few weeks. I hope you are noticing improvement now as you near the 3-month mark.

Give us an update when you have a chance!
 
:hi:
Only 30 days in June so we'll highlight your three month anniversary today...Happy Three Month Anniversary, Ann!
I hope the last few weeks have been good for you. Let us know when you have the time, we'd love to hear how your doing. A great rest of the week to you!
@Annk
 
I am seeing small improvements but still experiencing pain and stiffness. I am still icing and elevating and taking pain meds. Also walking 10 minute walks and recumbent bike 10 minutes at a time.
I tried not doing anything for a few days and still had pain. Some of my concern is random stabbing pain around patella.
I am going on a small road trip on vacation this week so I hope the distraction will be good for my soul. This past 3 months have been rough. I return to work in 1 week so I hope that will be tolerable. I work in an office so sitting for most of my days with breaks.
 
Hi Ann, thanks for updating us on your recovery.
It's good you're seeing small improvements, rather than things getting worse. Regarding the random stabbing pain, if it's fleeting, it may be nerves healing. That process can produce a sharp electric shock type of pain. I do hope the vacay serves as a distraction and you feel relaxed and at peace while away. It is still early into what's normally a one year healing process. Keep up with the icing, and especially after activity if there is swelling. When you return to work next week, try not to sit for more than 45 minutes without getting up to walk for a couple of minutes...if you're able to do so. Also, if there is any way to elevate during breaks, or even while at your desk, try that IF it brings you comfort. If easing back into work is an option for you, you may want to consider it.

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable vacay! Let us know how work is going for you after a few days. :wave:
@Annk
 
Some of my concern is random stabbing pain around patella.
FWIW, I had a random "zinger" around my patella three months after surgery. It was odd, definitely caught my attention, and I decided to shrug it off. Hopefully yours will stop soon.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom