TKR 2nd knee done 10 weeks after first knee totally different

6 weeks this pass Monday for my left knee and 16 weeks this pass Monday for my right knee. My bend for my left is at 115 when I do it on my left and 120 on the right.
Today I was able to walk an about 10 feet with a cane. I am so excited.
I have been walking with a walker for 2 years and was starting to walk short distances with a cane by then my knee started giving out and couldn’t trust my knees. Finally have both knees done and I brought my cane to PT and was able to walk with cane today in PT. My physical therapist was excited for me because she wasn’t totally sure when I would be able to walk with cane again and I did it. Now she is on the same page with me. I might be able to walk with just cane by the end of January if I work hard enough.

Congratulations on your cane accomplishment!

I might be able to walk with just cane by the end of January if I work hard enough.
What do you mean by work hard enough? Remember, a lot of what we have to work hard at is the patience to allow our body to heal on its own timeframe. You will make great improvement as you heal.

By working hard I mean by doing everything I am supposed to be doing, exercises everyday and doing what I am supposed to be doing.

By working hard I mean by doing everything I am supposed to be doing, exercises everyday and doing what I am supposed to be doing.
You really don't have to be doing a lot of exercises to rehab your knee. Just using it is PT and exercising. PT and exercising doesn't make your knee heal any faster, but it can slow down the healing by causing more inflammation then you have to heal from the inflammation that the exercising caused before it can get back to healing from the surgery.

Totally proud of myself. I made dinner tonight and was able to stand the whole time. Presurgery I would have sat at the kitchen table to cut meat or vegetables. Tonight I was able to stand and cut the meat right at the count and I didn’t get tired. My friend who came over for dinner did end up taking over at the end but that was so I wouldn’t have to keep getting up.
Tuesday I forgot bring my cane to PT so couldn’t practice with it at PT but I was achy all over anyway so just as well. I think it is because it was really cold on Tuesday it starting to warm up some now, so I know I will be ready for PT tomorrow.

Yay, that's a big step! That's one of my big wins as well, just being able to stand in the kitchen and cook an entire meal without pain or soreness. I couldn't do it very well for the last couple years before the surgeries, and now in the past couple weeks I am able to do it (I'm about 3 months out from my second surgery). Not that I'm a huge fan of cooking but it's gotta be done, lol.

Congrats!

What wonderful news and great progress!
I hope you have a productive PT session today and continue enjoying steady improvement.
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Righty!
Wishing you a great 2023 too. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@jth6578

More progress ending the year with big progress. I walked 50 ft in PT with a cane, sat for few minutes and walked back and I didn’t need to put my hand on top of hers to walk. I did lose my footing a little where she had to grab me to not fall but I caught myself too. My physical therapist was so proud of how far I walked she took ease on the exercises for me. She usually puts weights on my legs for the leg exercises but she didn’t use them this time. She was so proud of me today. I am glad I ended the year with great session like that.

Good for you! Thanks for sharing, it's encouraging to read how well you're doing. Two new knees and the start of a brand new year just days away, things are looking up! :happydance:
@jth6578

She usually puts weights on my legs for the leg exercises but she didn’t use them this time.
It is rather early in your recovery to be using weights on your legs. You are healing from a major surgery, not training as a fully healed person for an athletic event. My PT caught me off guard once and put a weight on my ankle, but the next time I declined, and he was fine with that.

Bonesmart generally recommends waiting 3-4 months before adding weights to your rehab program. However, if it doesn’t increase your pain and swelling, then it might be ok for you. Just know that you do have a choice, you don‘t have to do every exercise they tell you to. You are in charge.

She usually puts weights on my legs for the leg exercises but she didn’t use them this time.
It is rather early in your recovery to be using weights on your legs. You are healing from a major surgery, not training as a fully healed person for an athletic event. My PT caught me off guard once and put a weight on my ankle, but the next time I declined, and he was fine with that.

Bonesmart generally recommends waiting 3-4 months before adding weights to your rehab program. However, if it doesn’t increase your pain and swelling, then it might be ok for you. Just know that you do have a choice, you don‘t have to do every exercise they tell you to. You are in charge.
If I didn’t want the weights on I would tell her. She put the weights on before because I had asked her to, to give more of a challenge.

Happy New Year!
Next week I have busy week. I have PT Tuesday and Thursday. Wednesday I have appointment with my back doctor to talk about me going back to work.
I don’t see my orthopedic until March so my orthopedic said he will write whatever note I need I just have to call. He told me that my physical therapist and I would know what I can and can’t do better but my back doctor wanted to make sure he had a say on it. Since I am still dealing with some spinal issues I thought it would good to let him have a say on it. Plus two notes to be able to go back to work would probably good idea too.
Tuesday I will talk to my physical therapist about work and then talk to my doctor on Wednesday and probably call OS on Wednesday having both doctors send in the notes with whatever accommodations I need. Hopefully I will be walking with a cane soon so I won’t need them for to long.

Today went to the back doctor he is happy with my progress overall. He said I can go back to work January 17th. I will be 10 weeks for my left and 20 weeks for my right on the 16th. He gave me restrictions of having seat when needed and walking around for 20mins at time. Those were my restrictions pre surgery because of my back so they should allow me to do that again. I am just waiting for response back. I going to visit my job on Friday to talk to my boss to see if I can get a tentative schedule for when I go back to work.
My physical therapist said that because when i walk with cane when I get places where I can sit I grab on to things therefore I am not totally ready to walk with a cane. But she thinks I will get there fairly soon. I told her I hoping by the end February she thinks it is good possibly. I’m going to visit my Aunt and Uncle about 5 hours away so I am hoping I can walk with cane by then.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Let us know how work goes for you at some point after your return on the !7th. I hope you adjust easily.
All the best!
@jth6578

Layla, thank you. It is hard to believe it has been 2 months already for my left knee. Today is 9 weeks for my left knee and 19 weeks for my right knee.
Today I went and talked to my boss about coming back to work. He is going to give me schedule later this week. The district manager and him have to okay my accommodations for work. They are short staffed and is happy I will be going back to work. I forgot to make reservations for ride for tomorrow to PT so I will be driving myself tomorrow. I have driven here and there but next week I have to start driving to work and starting the 24th I have to drive to school two days a week so this will be good practice. I am excited about going back to work next week.

You're welcome, jth6578 :wave:
I wish you the best upon your return to work. I hope the schedule you receive is one you're able to handle well and you have the freedom to sit and walk as needed for several more weeks. You'll have to let us know how it's going for you after you've been back awhile. Until next time...take good care!
@jth6578

@jth6578

Thanks for sharing you story! Awesome you were able to have both of your TKR's close. I wanted to have mine with 24 months - then COVID and other life changes/ responsibilities put me at the three years.

I was to the point of no cane after about a year and half. Only using on when traveling and on a plane. I'll be ok with that again -- the process takes time. Like an overlap of sorts where I was able to return to work within 6 weeks with some modifications to standing, YET needed a cane initially and laid down soon as I got home some of those early weeks. I still have my four-wheeler in the house where I use the seat to sit in against one of those weighted electronic peddlers. Not working, in my case, would've slowed my recovery. Yet I was not full-on for a while. Motion was my focus - which was hard as COVID hit right after my first TKR. Thus, I am a proponent of getting the most activity out of small activities. Including even my chair exercises when I could not get out.

Went back to work tonight. I had PT today before work and had to 40 minutes to work. My physical therapist didn’t want me to tired so she went really easy on me today. No long walk today.
Work was good everyone was happy I was finally back after 20 weeks of being out. My boss is more agreeable this time because he knows my knees are new and going get stronger. So he is encouraging me to walk around and stand more while I am working. When I came back from my back surgeries he wasn’t as agreeable about letting me walk. I was surprised but am happy that he being more supportive this time. He told me coworker last week that I looked a lot better than before the surgery. Now that my knees are fixed I am not hunched over my posture is better.
I only had to work 4 1/2 hours today but was okay with that. My boss is easing me in this week but is planning on giving 30 hours next week. I am off tomorrow and Thursday but told him if he needs to let me know if he needs me tomorrow.
My knees held up okay no swelling my left knee is little sore but it is the more newer one. Sitting when I needed was good.

Congratulations on being recovered enough to go back to work, @jth6578. I'm sure you are happy to reach that milestone.

It was wise to skip the walk today. Since you are walking around a lot at work, you probably don't need it. And, depending upon how much of a "work out" you get at work, you might be able to quit PT.

Just try not to push yourself. We don't want you to end up on the ODIC (Over Did It Club) bench!

:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member