TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Here is a photo of my wedge, that my hospital sent home with me. The best part of this one is the trough for my leg, it kept my leg in place and me still, so I wasn’t moving around all night, which I think helped me sleep better. This wedge also allows my leg a slight bend, which is ok and much more comfortable than keeping the leg totally straight, like we are usually told to do.



57081CFE-FAA2-44D4-8AFD-A684E6D343EF.jpeg
 
I am still sleeping with that wedge every night, since my knee never allowed me to sleep on my side again. Whatever the hospital charged me (or my insurance company) it’s been worth every penny!
 
Day 6 - it's s silly o'clock time for an old o'clocker:bored::yawn: stupidly I tried to reduce 1 dose of tramafol ( as per my doctors original prescription) and just proved to myself that 3 doses are needed per day as my leg is giving me mega grief and I cannot take anything for at least an hour, :ice:ice isn't helping on this occasion, so here I am at 2:30am trying to occupy myself so that I can take a Tramadol again Soon :headbang::hissy: tomorrow back to a routine that I established in 2019 and know that works - foolish me for trying to give the surgeon credit:oyvey:
I pulled one compression hose/stockings off, wearing them 24 hours is too restricted, my legs are hurting maybe I could do with a larger size, plus they only gave me one pair which now could do with a wash, so I suppose I have to take them off anyway, I do have an old pair from 2019 that I will use day time whilst the others are drying, but am inclined from tonight not to sleep in them, Reading my past notes it was day 6, that I then stopped wearing at night. It is so useful to have our old posts logged here on BoneSmart I'm constantly reading back and comparing the days do any of the rest of you 2nd timers do the same ??
 
Those past notes are eye-opening for me too. When I went back through them yesterday I couldn't believe this time I've been able to give up narcotics so quickly. That may change when I start formal PT, if I start. Every knee and healing expierence is different.

I couldn't wear compression stockings, they would drive me batty. Keeping my scar dry and wrapped for two weeks is so confining. I want freedom and hopefully I'll get it this week when I see my OS.

Good luck with the meds, it's a real challenge to get things right huh?
 
@Starsfan22 Yep totally trial and error, I eventually took the tramadol at 4am and blissful fell asleep but shortly after Mrs. Bladder had, as usual other plans :gaah: and once again I had to wriggle myself off the bed, hobble to the bathroom and back, it's the story of my life right now at least on the bright side I can count these frequent trips as my daily exercises at this rate I will be fit by Summer :giggle:
 
@Jaycey - should I be concerned? Both pictures are of either side of my incision, my only guess is this was, where the latex plaster was and then on removal on exiting the hospital by the nurse these were blisters were caused, I hadn't noticed them as I was wearing the compression stockings but as they needed a wash, I removed the stockings in the early hours this morning and spotted these blisters :flabber:
Please ignore the hairy leg, much to my dismay, I could have shaved prior to surgery and the nurse said they prefer the patients to do so.....oh well.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20211211_212936_copy_600x800.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 232
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20211212_075612_copy_600x800.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 217
@Jaycey - should I be concerned? Both pictures are of either side of my incision, my only guess is this was, where the latex plaster was and then on removal on exiting the hospital by the nurse these were blisters were caused, I hadn't noticed them as I was wearing the compression stockings but as they needed a wash, I removed the stockings in the early hours this morning and spotted these blisters :flabber:
Please ignore the hairy leg, much to my dismay, I could have shaved prior to surgery and the nurse said they prefer the patients to do so.....oh well.
I have a latex plaster allergy/intolerance [mentioned in my pre op assessment] and your pics look exactly like my skin would under the same conditions.
All I can say is, my skin returns to normal once the allergen is removed. I have taken anti histamine in the past. if that helps?
 
I had exactly the same thing happen, an antihistamine cleared it up! The photo is from week 3.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    E31203DB-8B7B-44EC-98EA-633E4CFE2329.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 196
Thank you both @Eire1 & @Scaredycat10 - this has eased my mind

Can either of you recall at day 6 could you easily do heel slides in bed ?

My Knee is fine when I'm walking with both crutches. It bends when I sit at the table, but for the life of me I can't get it to bend whilst lying in bed it just doesn't want to move, it is completely ignoring my brain commands, I looked at my previous posts of my other leg and I haven't mentioned this so I cannot remember if on the day 6, if I was bending it in bed or not.

I realise swelling is probably preventing movement but should I be forcing it slightly at this stage or let time takes its course ?

I'm also still having to use my left leg to get my right leg on and off the bed.
 
@Sara61 That rash does look like an allergic reaction to the latex. Are you allowed to remove the dressing?

That log leg you are describing is very common. Just give it time. All the trauma from surgery can cause a slight "disconnect" between the brain and the leg. And no, no need to push any bending. Still very early days!
 
When I left hospital I had no problem straightening my leg but found bending my knee very difficult- a nurse told me not to worry as it will come right with time and she was correct. Heel slides are difficult at the beginning, I found it much easier to do them on my leather recliner chair while wearing socks, much easier to slide the foot rather than on the bed. I had been given a leg lifter to help me moving my leg/ its like a flexible loop with a handle, the PT called it a dog lead. I used it while doing the heel slides, to the point of discomfort but not pain.
 
I struggled to get my brain to connect for leg lifts - it just would not do them. I used to lift with my hand or with my other leg hooked underneath. Then one day I found myself automatically lifting my leg onto the bed. I still help it most times even now but I know I can lift if necessary and I know it will improve. I also struggle with heel slides on the bed but can sit with leg at 80 - 90 degrees and can do a good mini lunge or 10 with a decent bend on the knee, once again I am sure that time will enable me to slide that leg up but I am not pushing it.
 
Thank you both - this has eased my mind
Can either of you recall at day 6 could you easily do heel slides in bed ?
I can't get half the flex when trying on the bed versus sitting on a chair so don't worry about that one jot. My physio told me it's much more difficult when prone so tick that off your concern list.
May I recommend my 'fried egg' [google 'ortho Glide]. The world wide African river shopping site has it. The hospital sent me home with one and it's certainly proved useful.

I used one of my husband's leather belts as a bed leg hoist until I found one day, I just automatically lifted my leg into bed without help. That was after approx a week [memory fade issue ].

It will come. Muscle memory will kick in without you realising it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This wooden back scratcher was given to me many Christmas's ago in a stocking, it has been a godsend for both my replacements, it helps me put on my undies, slippers, picks items of the floor, and scratches my back & other hard to reach areas..
Sometimes its the silliest gifts that become the most precious xx
 
I hope your sleep improves. I’m 31/2 weeks into my new right knee and sleep continues to evade me. I can get 2-3 hours in but then the dull ache returns, despite elevation and ice. We all do draw some comfort from one another in regard to sleep deprivation. Send that Sandman over! Good luck to all!
 
Another member of the 'silly o'clock' club!

Can't help with the sleep issue because if I had the solution, I'd be sleeping more than 3 or 4 hrs a night but, I can deal with that ache.
I will be 8 weeks post op this Wednesday and the ache at night, has gone without me realising, it's gone!
So, I'm thinking, it stopped probably about 10 days ago..
 
Yes, those are such fun - NOT! I always tried to remind myself that it was a sign of healing - like the itching of the incision (or should I not mention that yet).
 
Yesterday evening I removed the compression stocking only to discover that my knee looked red and inflamed, the blisters looked threatening, so this morning I went to the emergency of the hospital, - Thankfully I have no knee infection, they changed the bandage and gave me ointment for the blisters, I then had a urine sample taken as I have been going to the toilet far too many times (last night 7x in 5 hours ) results came back negative so conclusion is that the pain killers are upsetting my bladder, I was prescribed Uripas to help this.
Thankfully I'm now back home, my knee is angry and sore, we left the house at 08:45am and only got home at 13:45pm the whole time my knee was bent.
Upon removing my compression stocking I have a huge bruise forming on my shin I assume this is where they must have held my leg in place, :flabber:

I'm feeling quite sad today, due to the rapid increase of Covid cases in the UK, travel between Portugal and England is getting more and more complicated, my daughter was due to fly home for Christmas on the 20th however it is now looking like this won't happen, my niece, and her partner both tested positive today, my daughter and partner spent all weekend with them so the chances are not looking too bright. :boohoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom