TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Sara61 With the right pain meds, ice, and elevating you will feel better just being home. My husband organized the meds and checked off doses on a spreadsheet. I was too foggy to manage the meds on my own so hope you have help.

I am now sleeping on my side most of the night going to sleep around 10 and waking at 4 am or so which I think is good. I get up and walk to stretch my knee and then read until I fall asleep again.
 
@Rick951 I had a PKR in 2016 and I have never been able to kneel on that knee even with pads under them.
 
@Sks1997 after my first surgery in 2019 I too, lost the ability to kneel on my left knee, it was manageable on my right at the time, but from past experience with my left knee, I think my kneeling days are long gone, it was just so uncomfortable even with pads/pillows.

Well so much for that long desired good nights sleep :rotfl: it's 03:45am on my first night home, I particularly made an effort to stay awake all day at the hospital thinking I'd sleep all night, but... no Mrs. Knee had other plans, namely making me dash to the bathroom every couple of hours, it must be the new medication but such an effort, I have to wriggle and use my arms to slide off the bed, grab my crutches, whilst trying to lift myself off the bed and then chant 1,2 & 3 meaning crutch, bad leg and good leg, after I've finished my business it's the same back to bed, only to start all over again 2 hours later, I suppose I can look on the bright side as I'm certainly getting enough exercises.
Thankfully my dear hubby has moved into the spare room as otherwise this would be far worse. My daschund looks at me as if I'm mad, she isn't used to having her beauty sleep disturbed :puppysmooze: but she is being so sweet to me and sleeping on the far side of the bed so not to disturb my leg.:roseshwr:
Hopefully Mr. Sandyman will pass my bedroom and send me to sleep ... :bored::yawn:
 
Has anyone experienced shin and heel pain, at the moment these are bothering me more than my knee, I've had to put a soft furry throw on top of my sheet and under my heel, as the compression stocking is rubbing my heel on the sheets and now I have a throbbing pain on my shin, maybe this was held down in surgery :shocked: but oh so sore, I'm currently :ice: it and just taken a paracetamol so hopefully shortly it will buzz off.

As I don't have an ice machine, I have taken my picnic cool box and filled with ice, & on top I have my sachets of cooling gel, this is saving me from having to go to the kitchen so often, I also found a wooden back scratcher ( a gift from a friend many moons ago ) it's Brill for helping me to put on my undies and move things out of reach.

Unfortunately I'm having to wear compression stockings for 28 days plus a daily injection into my tummy, the nurse yesterday taught my husband how to do it gently as on my last operation he wasn't overly gentle now hopefully it won't be so harrowing but nevertheless not looking forward to it- it's times like this one appreciates a little belly fat :heehee:
 
Has anyone experienced shin and heel pain, at the moment these are bothering me more than my knee, I've had to put a soft furry throw on top of my sheet and under my heel, as the compression stocking is rubbing my heel on the sheets and now I have a throbbing pain on my shin, maybe this was held down in surgery

Yes, my heels bothered me a lot at first with the stockings, still bother me a little sometimes. Option 1: sliding down the bed so your feet hang over the edge. Option 2: propping pillows so your feet hang off a pillow shelf.
 
Oh my! I'm reliving those early days reading your posts! We had to lock out my daughter's cat from our room as she wouldn't have been as courteous as your doggie. She'd try to lie on TOP of my leg and knee since it was propped up on big pillows and she loves to be the princess in the pea and sleep on the highest surface. We still lock her out as she likes to sleep between my feet, making shifting around in bed impossible.

Those stockings were not fun. Hubby was a bit rough putting them on my left foot, I pulled them up the rest of the way. Forget those heel slides for now, just do some dangling occasionally to get a little bend, gently..... Yes, so glad we only have 2 knees!!!
 
@Sara61 Yes the compression stockings can be a pain- here where I live you wear them for up to 6 weeks depending on the surgeon. The thigh highs were cutting off my circulation in the hospital so they switched them to the knee highs, still very uncomfortable. Have you tried icing your tummy before getting the blood clot injection? Might make the process a little less painful- they call those injections “bee sting injections” here- pretty good description. Aspirin is what you are sent home with here, no injections but of course that depends on your previous health history.
Hoping you have a more comfortable night!:sleeep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip about icing my tummy prior to my nightly injections this might also reduce the bruising, I bruise easily and already after 4 injections I'm displaying a black & mauve tummy..

@Jaycey @Jockette can you look at the attached photo unfortunately in Portugal anything bought on Amazon.com just doesn't get here usually gets stuck in customs, also the lounge doctor is not available on Amazon ( Spain) or Amazon ( Germany) but this one is available- do you think this is worth purchasing? The reviews look good, but it's a lot of money to fork out if it isn't suitable for knee replacements.

My other question is has any of you had an allergic rash to the latex on the plasters ? I'm actually considering returning to the hospital today as the itch is driving me literally bonkers, I've slept on ice on my back ( where epidural was ) and a ice pack on my knee, it helps but hasn't cured and I'm not sure it's safe to take antihistamine on top of the medications.

Also finally I seem to spend my nights/morning to and from the bathroom, my bladder is constantly full minutes after emptying almost as soon as I'm back in bed and comfortable I have to start all over again, it's a vicious circle, I need to drink water with the medication also my mouth is very dry and that in turn makes me having to get up yet again, I suppose this too in time will improve, my knee is hurting more because of all the movement. GEE it's only day 5 and I'm feeling rather fed up :gaah:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    Screenshot_20211211-061742_Amazon Shopping_copy_600x1041.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:
@Sara61 Did they give you a contact number for someone at the hospital? Perhaps call and ask about the rash. I agree, you don't want to be taking antihistamine before checking if it's OK with your other medication.

Do you have a couple of extra pillows for elevation. You don't necessarily need anything fancy.

The bladder issue - they pump you full of fluids before, during and after surgery. Many people complain about too many bathroom trips. This will ease fairly quickly.

Hope you can get some rest!
 
@Jaycey - Yes I going to ring them prior to making a journey as I don't fancy getting back in the car, and another 40 minute car ride.. I have to go on Monday for a plaster change but if the wound where the skin is broken doesn't look any better today then I might just have to go hoping they can give me a solution over the phone to tie me over xx..

Am seriously thinking of moving into the bathroom permanently :rotfl: 3 times since 5am- :holysheep:
 
I remember those days after my hip replacements. That was one reason not to use the bed too soon - getting out of it quickly and that often would not have been pretty! I always figured, though, that it was one way our surgeon's make sure we get up and walk frequently. :heehee:

I hope you got a bit more sleep last night. Catch a nap when you can!
 
@Sara61 , I am in County Wexford , was born in Miami Florida and brought to Ireland at the age of 9 by my Irish mother and New Yorker father - I have been here so long my soul is Irish as is my husband :rotfl:
I developed allergies to the adhesive on the dressings and plasters- started off itchy and then the rash and massive blisters arrived. Tried different dressings but it kept getting worse, took a strong antihistamine and removed all dressings and plasters. It took about 3 weeks to clear. Get in touch with the hospital about the itchiness and see what they say. I had my wound exposed for about 5 days before staples were removed- there was no other option.
Regarding the raising of the knee , I used a stack of pillows. Looking at the photo of the foam support I notice that it keeps your leg level at the point of the knee, I would have thought you should have your feet more elevated to help with the swelling.
Dear god the peeing during the first week- I didn’t have the raised toilet seat the first 2 days and seriously after struggling to get to the bathroom the sudden drop downwards had me :censored:- I was seeing stars! It took me about a week for things to settle down again and normal bathroom times to resume.
 
@Eire1 - followed your advise and have my knees on stacked pillows, bliss. I have a soft sheepskin throw on top its softer against the skin.
My mother was Irish and my Father English, I have a lovely story my Father met my mother in the early 1940's just before the beginning of the war, my mother in those days was fairly well known in Dublin being their youngest Tennis player, she actually met my father at a chaperoned ball in Wimbledon after she had reached the quarter finals, my father was a young officer in the British army, just after the war started my father flew to Ireland to propose to my Mum, her Father insisted that he changed his religion prior so my father became a Catholic, and they were allowed to marry, my mother continued her tennis career almost up until I was born, I'm the "oops" of the family she was 45 years old when I surprisingly came along but being a good Irish Catholic girl, I was kept, I'm the youngest of 4 . Sadly both are now deceased, they had a wonderful life up into their late 80ties.
At the age of 20, I came to Portugal, My hubby is Portuguese, and have been here ever since, the climate in the South is superb.
 
Our favourite place to holiday is Portugal, around Foia near Monchique- absolutely loved staying there off the tourist trail. Unfortunately haven’t been back in years due to health issues.
Great idea to use the sheepskin over the pillows:yes:
My mother emigrated to New York late 1950s , met my father at an Irish social club, it was the first visit for them both. Her aunt had already chosen a husband for her, matchmaking was common then so they decided to elope and a year later I arrived, the eldest of 4. I am the only one living in Ireland, I love it here.
 
Day 5 - Started with a wobble & a few tears, but my hubby insisted I went and had breakfast in the kitchen, which actually did me the world of good it wasn't too hard sitting at the table, I then took a short walk around the lounge, tidied my bedroom and remade my bed, made myself a pillow stack and after approx 60 minutes on my feet got back into bed. I will from today start eating all my meals at the dining room table, this will get me out of the bedroom, some days I will spend in the lounge when my leg is stronger but our sofa is very low & not the comfiest with a operated knee.
My husband is hilarious, I had no idea how untrained he is, he hadn't got a clue how the microwave worked, nor the hot plate on the stove we have had these over 5 years :rotfl: he is washing up by hand as I'm sure he won't admit to not knowing how the dishwasher works... during the week he brings me takeaways, but today he is grilling fresh fish and boiling potatoes all I can hear are profanities coming from the kitchen its so funny, I think he is suddenly realising that a housewife job isn't such a doddle as he thought, a good lesson, I suspect tomorrow he will resort to buying another takeaway :heehee: bless him he is trying his best but also getting slightly irritated with me, as obviously I have to ask for things like ice, etc etc.
Spent the morning trying to ring the hospital, I'm flabbergasted no one is answering, even the emergency number, I really don't want to resort to having to drive there, when they can simply answer my queries over the phone, its a private facility with the worst ever customer service, on Monday I have to go and see the nurse for my dressing change, I'm jolly well asking for the complaints book, just dreadful service, it might be a Saturday but I was operated on 5 days ago:headbang::censored:
 
Here in Ireland we have a weekend doctor service called Caredoc- you ring the number and speak to a nurse who goes through your symptoms and decides if she can advise you or if you need to see a doctor. If you are unable to travel the doctor will come to you, otherwise you go to see the doctor at the closest Caredoc office. Is there anything like that in Portugal?
My husband sends his sympathy to your husband :sos:
You might try a heavy insulated box by the bed for your ice- should cut down on his trips. Make sure your chair in the dining room is comfortable to sit in- it was really uncomfortable for me , the getting up and pushing the chair back so I could stand was :censored: for at least 5 week.
I remember the grilled fish and potatoes from our visits, used to go to an all you can eat fish grill in Albiufeira , they did the smashed potatoes as well mmmmmm!
 
I am using a padded office chair on wheels as my dining chair at the moment- you can adjust height to suit, it makes it easier to push your chair in and out at the table and you can always add more padding if necessary.
 
can you look at the attached photo
do you think this is worth purchasing?
No, this is not a good wedge for you, the bend is too much, and your foot does not continue up at an angle. You’ll see it has a red X on it in the following article:
 
Back
Top Bottom