Guest viewing is limited

THR 26 days and I need a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HHH, please do not quote the post directly above your reply in your post. It takes up a lot of space and is not necessary to understand the flow of communication. The "quote" feature should be used only when there are a lot of other posts between yours and the one you are responding to or when you want to highlight just a small section of the post. Thanks for your coopertion.
 
Don't know much about hip replacements, but wanted to stop in and give you a hug 'cause you said you needed it! :friends:
 
Hi Queenie

Sure you will be ok and if your thinking about getting up to mischief you are definately on the mend, big hugs all the way form Bonnie Scotland.
 
Hi Queenie,

Sorry I did not answer straight away as had family/visitors and social events most of the weekend...a bit exhausting.

You wanted to know about Pillates so I will describe my journey. I had been doing chair Pilates and some reformer between my two hip replacements which I am sure has contributed to my faster recovery this time...but I have probably been lucky because my recovery this time has been mostly uneventful except at one and a half weeks when I walked too far and my muscles complained big time.

I also have an amazing Pilates teacher. She worked with me individually from 2 week after the op. at home half an hour a week. She primarily helped me with the exercises that the hospital gave me checking if I fired the correct muscles then from 6 to 10 weeks I went to the studio and did a reformer session individually. I joined the main class 2 weeks ago and was able to do most the exercises (but it was a bit of a struggle). I did not have any bad after effect so it must have been ok. So now I to do that class once a week and also continue with my individual session once a week. Additionally I have joined a Zumba Gold class which I find my brain has problems telling me what my body needs to do! Ah well...but I will stick with it.

The key to all this is that it is really important to go at your own individual pace. If you do more than you are ready for then you will get set backs. Everyone's healing journey is individual.

It may be worth trying to find a teacher when you are ready that can assess you and help you for a few sessions before joining a class.

I love Pilates and it has really helped my gait and strengthening my muscles and I am now beginning to have a stronger core. It is a slow process though and my body still needs time for healing too.

I do hope your problems and challenges get resolved soon and your feeling of frustration is not too overwhelming.
You will get there..
Pilates will always be ready and waiting for you and....
At least you aren't missing any good weather!

A big hug from me!
Ali x
 
Bottoms, my apologies, point taken and will do. I'm claiming a mulligan and blaming this one on my pain meds because it's typically not my habit. :)
 
Perfectly okay, HHH. You are not alone in having done this---the really fun ones are when a person quotes and then posts nothing. And, of course, pain meds are to blame---they always are.:heehee:
 
Dear AliPali and JaneyGS

Thank you so much for your posts on Pilates I really appreciate your input. At the moment I can't even stand up from the loo without using something to pull me up, so I doubt I'll be going back to classes anytime soon. I can't do straight leg raises or clams yet either but I'm looking forward to including them in my exercise regime which will hopefully be within the next few weeks.

Hippo Limbs(sorry hiphiphorray -he he he!) - My husband keeps reminding me that since I left hospital the only pain med I've taken is paracetamol(Tylenol), so I guess I've been giving myself a bit of a hard time when it comes to the old pain threshold issue. I'm stopping the warferin(Coumadin) on Weds so then I can start taking anti-inflammatories for the first time, YIPPEE!!
A question Hippo..........Are you a Sports Journalist? Been trying to piece some of your posts together and have ended up rather confused.....it's not difficult. Also the figure skating........Are you a professional or do you just skate for fun? Did all the bumps and falls from skating contribute towards you getting a shiny new hip? Yes, I'm very nosey and no you don't have to answer these questions but I'd love it if you did because my curiosity has really got the better of me now. :what:

Today I dumped my crutch and dug out my cane and have been practising my Charlie Chaplin swagger. YAY.....GO ME!!!

Keep smiling BS Buddies

Queenie xxx
 
There! I finally found the post with your questions, Queenie. Sorry, I was in a state of hibernation during the last 48 hours and somehow skipped right over this one.

"HippoLimbs" -- yes :) heehee, love the pseudonym! Thankfully, the major swelling has subsided by about 50-75% so now I look more like one of those Cabbage Patch Dolls. Progress!

Sorry for the confusion. No, I am not a sports journalist. Actually, I'm a technical and marketing writer who's working on several novels in my spare time. I work at home, so that's convenient, considering my current circumstances. My serious hobby is figure skating which, before this hip debacle emerged last year, I did 1-2 hours per day, 6 days a week. I have two coaches, and I'm working on my double rotation jumps. I compete for U.S. Figure Skating here in the US and sometimes in other countries (so it's more than a casual pastime). It's been awful to have to stay off the ice since last April, and I'm looking forward to returning in about 3-6 months when the surgeon says he'll probably clear it. The Doc's pretty confident that I'll regain my full range of motion and all my skating moves, as long as I don't do anything too crazy. (Before the hip problems, I could do full splits in all three directions, but I don't anticipate wanting to do them so much in the future, except recreationally, heehee.)

Yes, all the bumps and falls (but more the wear and tear) from skating contributed toward the need for my shiny new hip. Skaters spend a lot of time in repetitive motion, perfecting moves, and it wears out our cartilage. I also developed some really stupid work habits in my day (writing) job, which I mentioned in an earlier post. They mostly consisted of sitting in a bad position, in a cushy, but non-supportive chair with a heavy laptop resting on my legs. Never again!

No, you are not nosey. My dog, Joe, who sticks his snout in peoples' shopping bags as we walk down the street is nosey! I keep dreading the day when he sticks his cold snout up a woman's skirt while we're waiting for a traffic light. It's just a matter of time...

Yay to your Charlie Chaplin swagger! That's wonderful. I look forward to the day when I can ditch the crutch for my Hurry Cane. You're an inspiration!

Cheers,

HHH
 
[Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
Here you are, Queenie, with your best Chaplin swagger. I really like the mental picture that creates. Just great that you have passed another milestone by graduating to the cane.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] 26 days and I need a hug.
 
Hello Queenie! Thanks for your note the other day. It is really nice to have a message from someone who knows what a person is going through. How's it going with the cane? Do you have a fancy one? Mine is plain and functional but it is borrowed so I'm good with that.
Yes, I did have the anterior method. I knew a lady that lives near me who had that type of surgery last summer and she did so well I decided to go that route too. Work is going pretty well. I am really tired at the end of the day and pretty much sit or lay on the couch or recliner all evening. It's getting better though. I teach in a small rural school so my kindergarten class is only 10 kids this year. They are very sweet and love to be helpful. Before the surgery I couldn't put my own boots on or pick things off the floor and they were happy to help! I still need help with the boots although I have other teachers who are taking my recess duty for me so I don't have to go outside in the snow and ice.
Are you sleeping any better? Is it pain waking you up? Why are you only taking Tylenol? Are you unable to take anything stronger? You must have a high pain tolerance. I'm still taking a hydrocodone at night for muscle pain. Thank God the hip pain is gone though.
Keep practicing that heel/toe swagger. It's late and I gotta go to bed. Oh, I was going to ask if you watch Downton Abbey? My sister got me hooked and I love it!
Take care!
 
Hi Hippo(hiphiphorray

WOW! You are a very fit bird(bird = lady where I come from..........the beautiful county of Devon........check it out on Internet). Very,very fit! I wish I had made more effort in the fitness department when I was younger and not left it til the last few years. I've got two gorgeous girls and I'm constantly reminding them of the importance of keeping fit. It's probably my greatest regret, so there's a little part of me that goes a bit green when I think about you pirouetting around the ice. Are you semi-professional then? Dare I ask?........Famous? I presume you must be well known among the figure skating fraternity. I bet you can't wait to get back on the ice. I have in my possession, a video clip of me and hubby stumbling around a temporary ice rink(put up in the city for Xmas). We occasionally put it on if we want a good old giggle. Honestly, it's the funniest thing I've ever seen. I'm laughing now as I think about it(hubby laughing too......he's just asked me what I'm laughing at!!).............it's fair to say that neither of us are naturals on the ice. :spin: :spin:
I wanted to be a comedy actress, I reckon I would've made a good one too(as did my school drama teacher), but my parents were very strict and wouldn't allow me to pursue that career. I was also too scared to disobey them. By the time I'd left home I'd lost all my confidence and felt it was too late to go down that road. I did a bit of amateur stuff for a while but it wasn't the same. I know my mum regrets not sticking up for me and it took me a long time to forgive them. Now I'm just happy making my friends and family laugh. My husband and both girls are hilarious. My hubby is very quick witted and my girls love to dress up(I have a massive dressing up box), and make funny videos. I look forward to our Friday nights in when all hell breaks loose!! We go to several music festivals a year where the aim is to dress up and see who can look the most ridiculous........I normally win! :wink:

Hey Liphip
So pleased to see your life is getting back to normal. Both you and Hippo have had the anterior approach which seems to be less invasive(and therefore a quicker recovery). I don't know of anyone in Old Blighty who's had that op. I'm sure there must be someone. From what I can gather you need a special operating table for that method(which i presume is very expensive)and like most things it all boils down to money.
Downton Abbey...........lovely Downton Abbey. I don't know anyone who doesn't watch Downton. Not sure where you're up to but it just gets better and better. I love the two stories of Upstairs and below Stairs and the way they interact. I think most of you folks across the pond find our class system intriguing. Although things have changed somewhat from those days(thank goodness!).
Us Brits produce some excellent period dramas. I'm watching Mr Selfridge at the mo. Has it aired over there? It's very good. Tells the story of the American Harry Selfridge who founded Selfridges in London in 1909. The costumes are amazing. I'm totally hooked. I'm sure you'd love it. He was very Gung ho and charismatic and the British with their stiff upper lips never really knew how to take him. :cheers2:

I'm going to try and go for a walk today. The weather has been awful here, lots of rain and very cold. Not a good combo for a lady with a new hip. I've not made any progress that I'm aware of. Still not sleeping(after nearly 6wks I think my body clock had changed), still using Charlie's cane and the muscles in my butt and groin are still sore. But I'm not gonna let it get me down.

It's Valentines day today and my husband is cooking me a fancy meal tonight, So all good in the hood.

Keep smiling lovely girls,

Queenie xxx
 
Hi Queenie, and Happy V-Day to you, your hubby and your girls. You would have made an excellent comedy actress, as evidenced by the way that you write. It's funny how our younger dreams, denied and tucked away in a closet, grow up apart from us and then return as fully-fledged abilities with their own character. I'm sure that your family's raucous Friday nights, funny videos and dressed-up festivals are priceless to your daughters. Who knows how your comedic influence might gently mold them when they're not looking? Lucky girls!

Devon, sigh, I would give my left _ss cheek to live there. What a beautiful place! You had me at the "ponies grazing on Exmoor" image. It must be like walking around in a storybook most of the time. I hope your weather improves soon, so you can get your walk in. If not, then cold, rainy days also have their allure. They often find me by a fire with a cup of coffee, either reading or writing. I used to tuck my legs up under me, but not this week.

More about the skating and my infamy in another post...for now, I'll let you in on a secret. The gorgeous, graceful image of a figure skater that you see on the ice is absolutely nothing like what it actually feels like while one is doing it. In fact, we have a saying, "If it hurts, you must be doing it right." That's part of the reason why I denied my increasing hip pain until it came up, cleared its throat and said "AHEM!" in a loud voice. And then, there's the unseemly side of our sport. Once, in a national championship, I stepped out of a critical jump combination and instinctively said, "FRICK!" as I turned toward the wall (only I didn't actually say, "frick"). I don't think the judges saw the gaffe, but I could make it out on the video, later. Not quite Swan Lake, is it? Heehee.

Cheers!

HHH

p.s. 'Love Downton Abbey (just discovered it last week and have watched a marathon of it during recovery) and all things British comedic and dramatic. I had a good laugh after surgery by running across Monty Python's Meaning of Life again, and replaying the hospital birthing scene, "Here's the machine that goes, 'Bing!'" and the tiger/missing leg scene, "So, it'll just grow back, then?" Laughter = very good medicine.
 
Hi All

Well it's 6wks today since I had my op and I can't believe where the times gone. Although I'm not as far ahead in my recovery as I was with my left hip, I still feel I'm moving forward, albeit at a snails pace. I still have muscle and nerve issues but I know they will improve over time. I've learnt to not expect too much too soon and that my body will repair at its own pace. I realise that I'm going to have to put in a lot of work to get my muscles up to good working order but that's ok............I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to saying 'Hey, look at me.......Look how far I've come......Look at what I can do now!' I want to be proud of myself and one day I will be........Very Proud.

For anyone reading this who's in a quandary as to wether to have a THR or not I will say this............Please do not be put off by people's stories on BS. The majority of people have the most MARVELLOUS recoveries. Even those of us whose experiences are not quite what we'd hoped for, eventually get the outcome we want. Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. PATIENCE is the key. There will be ups and downs but believe me when I say it is totally worth it to be free of that aching, grinding pain........Totally worth it.

Today I coloured my hair(looking particularly gorgeous, even if I say so myself), put some washing on, put some washing away, cleaned the kitchen, walked up and down stairs with no crutch at least 5/6 times and went for a walk outside with my cane. This weekend I'm going to attempt a little drive in my beloved Berol(T5 Volkswagen Camper).............Watch this space!!!

Onwards and upwards Warriors.

Queenie xxxx
 
:goodpost:Woohoo, Queenie! 6 weeks is really a milestone. Some people say that the 90-degree rule matters less after 6 weeks, while others say it's 12 weeks. Do you have any doctor's orders or opinion on it?

It takes a lot more intestinal fortitude to have the kind of great attitude that you have when things feel like they're going at a snail's pace as opposed to racing along. I'm sure that anyone who goes through a full recovery will eventually experience both types of paces, so I hope that everyone reads this post and takes it to heart. That said, it sounds like you're doing amazingly well. I can't wait to hear how your driving venture goes.I'm sure your hair looks wonderful since a pro (you!) did it. I'm picturing glossy shades of brown with a cherry hue. It gives one such a lift to have good hair. Ahhhh!
 
Thanks Hippo - forgot to mention that all I want to do now is lose a few pounds and I'll be as happy as a pig in pig muck. I'd like to lose 12ILBs but my hubby doesn't think I should lose that much as the weight always disappears from my top half first. He he he..... :snork:
The reason I am broadcasting this information is that I figure the more people I tell, the more embarrassed I'll be if I don't succeed.

Xxxxxx
 
Good for you, Queenie! And, of course, the boobs are the first thing to go when you drop a few pounds. It's like someone pulled a stopper out of the sink and the water runs out, starting at the top. Not fair, but oh well. Take hubby to the market and let him fondle the grapefruit if he's truly missing it. I think it's sweet that he loves you exactly as you are. Now, that's a man!

I wish that I had only 12 lbs. to lose. After almost a year off of a daily sport that burns ~600-800 calories per hour plus the cross-training, and having eaten roughly the same number of calories, I've packed on about 20 lbs. Note that this was not helped by my chardonnay therapy during the long rest period. And it's not 20 pounds of beautiful muscle, either. But, it will all come off in time, as I'm able to resume activities.

The current research suggests that 15-20 minutes of high-intensity interval (HIIT) training done 3-5 times per week is more effective at weight loss than longer periods of less intense exercise. That's good news, because it means that you don't have to spend hours and hours toiling away on a treadmill to achieve the results you want. The type of exercise (stationary biking, swimming, etc.) is less important than the intensity/rest cycles. I have tried this in the past, before my hip went all wonky, and found it to be true.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
 
Oh Hippo, you do make me chuckle.

Yes I'm very lucky to have my Hubby. We were childhood sweethearts. Apart from an 8yr gap, we've been together for 30yrs. We've know each other since we were 15. Our parents have been friends for over 35yrs. Sounds a bit incestuous. It's certainly been interesting but it works. Sorry I digress again..........
The poor lamb's been walking around cross eyed for the last 5wks I'm sure he'd love a visit to the fruit department. Moving on...............

We recently purchased a cross trainer to aid with my rehab so I guess if I get the intensity right then 15-20mins, 3-5times a week will be a good start, yes?. I really have got a lot of work to do. I started doing basic squats today(the ones that look like your lowering yourself onto the loo). My goodness......so painful. Really hard. But I've done a few reps throughout the day. I'll get there.

My eldest daughter has a very Python-esk sense of homour. A lot of people don't get her but I think she's hilarious. Funny you should mention them(oops am I mixing up the threads?).
I've been on Face Book tonight and now can't remember what I've said where, so forgive me if I repeat myself. Did I mention that I've had a little dance tonight? My man and I love Fridays. We have a little drinkie, home made Fajitas and listen to a whole lotta top class, Gucci music.........Oh yes!......... Bass(hubby) has missed his calling in life. He could've been the greatest dance DJ Devon has ever seen!! Seriously though, he plays the most fabulous music. He has a very eclectic taste so I don't know of anyone who doesn't love the stuff he plays. I love dancing, so we are a match mad in heaven(mostly). Anyway, I had a little dance. Really weird, it wasn't until my little one said Mum.....Look at you! That I realised what I was doing. I guess I might be guilty of getting a bit OCD about the rules. :angel:

Get back to me on the fitness stuff. Not really knowledgeable on the subject if I'm honest.

Ta ta

Queenie xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom