Guest viewing is limited

TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

My surgery was scheduled the same day as yours but then moved up to June 1. Three weeks will make a big difference in your recovery. I lost 5 pounds and then gained seven! I am sure that once you are off the narcotics your appetite will come roaring back. I felt sorry for myself and ate a lot of comfort food. Mistake! You are doing great and just know that it will get easier and easier as the weeks pass.
 
@TML
That's a great report for four weeks out. You are over the worst now and can look forward to lots more improvements in the weeks to come.Well done!
Tabby xxx
 
You're doing great and the worst is over with! Each week will be better and before you know it, you'll be back to normal! Just be careful to know overdo.
 
@Suz
I'm weaning off Oxy, taking only 1 pill (12-hour extended release) at night with none during the day for the past 4 days. I'm still taking 2 Norco, every 4 hours round the clock. Next week, I'll consider spacing out the Norco. I really don't feel any pain but experience soreness, stiffness and muscle fatigue most of the time. There is minimal swelling in the knee only. I spend most of the day resting, icing, elevating and doing home PT but haven't felt strong or awake enough to go anywhere except PT and doctors appointments. I'm still sleeping much of the day and most of the night. I've had a few visitors and am totally exhausted after they leave, even though I ice and elevate while they're visiting. I transitioned from the walker to the cane a few days ago.

This is how I came off the narcotics, too, and it worked very well for me last year and this year. Sleeping is normal. It allows your body to focus on healing. Think of all those millions of cells knitting themselves together to give your a good strong knee while you sleep and let your body focus its attention where it's needed most.
 
Bike rotations--score!
 
  • Funny
Reactions: TML
Thx everyone - I really, really appreciate your comments! I wasn't sore today from PT yesterday so I didn't overdo it! It's really hard to know when you're crossing the line. I was nervous and a little sore last night by what I did on the bike at PT, so didn't try out my recumbent bike at home today, Instead, I decided to focus on walking outside - hubby always walks with me as I'm a bit wobbly on the cane still. We walked in the morning; then, in the evening. I doubled the distance and felt more stable. I think I'll plan 2 walks each day now - it is sheer heaven to walk now compared to before surgery, when I was in agony walking even a few steps. Also, I'll try getting on my bike. I really can't believe what a pleasure it is to walk again! Happiness!

I'm walking :yes!: a little more :yes!: A little more :yes!:
 
:yay:That's great! You are doing very well. Adding a little bit of activity at a time can keep you from becoming a frequent visitor to the ODIC.
 
Yes @newlybionic that's my goal. So far, my PT has been right on with therapy, which is a relief. Won't it be wonderful when we're a few years out and we don't spend every waking minute obsessing about everything!
:loll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The last few days I've been feeling poorly, queasy with a headache and stomachache. I still don't have much of an appetite. I decided to reduce the Norco in half and it has helped quite a bit. (I remember when I transitioned off narcotics with my rotator cuff surgeries a few years ago this happened.) It's almost as if my body is telling me that the drug is no longer needed for the pain and to get off it! I'm just not sure what to take if the pain is not bad enough for the Norco. It's Friday afternoon and I know I can't reach the doctor. To my buddies: Please give me your ideas with what has worked for you. :what:
 
Tramadol with Tylenol helps me some. Could you try that?
 
Sorry you are feeling poorly...no fun when your going to PT! I also went from Oxycontin to Tramadol with Tylenol and it worked well. Once in awhile I take a Tramadol at night if I overdo it during the day.
I take Tylenol almost daily just because most mornings I wake up and ache all over (probably arthritis)
You are doing so well only using a cane to walk "thanks great"
keep up the good work, soon that cane will be a distant memory:happydance:
 
Ask you PCP/GP if he/she will prescribe Tramadol for you. Taken on conjunction with Tylenol, it is very effective. It's a useful step-down drug from the heavy-duty narcotics. You do need to wean off it slowly, when the time comes.
The safe daily doses of Tylenol and Tramadol are :
Tylenol - 4,000 mg in 24 hours (make sure there is none in any of your other medications)
Tramadol - 400 mg in 24 hours

This is the Tramadol and Tylenol regime that Josephine recommends (Paracetamol is Tylenol):
[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Thx everyone, I'll try to stay on Norco until I reach the doctor on Monday. @Celle Thx for the chart - very helpful.
 
Hi, TML! Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. With my first TKR done in Dec. of 2015, I took Norco as needed during the night and Arthritis Tylenol during the day. This was about week four as I went back into the classroom at week five.

I can't say that it was a great "fix", but I needed to be off Norco to teach (otherwise, my students would have had a grand time while I napped! LOL)

This time, at two and a half weeks out, I'm already nervous about leaving the Norco behind for the days. Arthritis Tylenol just didn't cut the pain like Norco, but I will soon need to be able to drive and start inservice training.

Years ago, when I had ACL surgery, I used Tramadol when I went back to work. I really really liked it. They won't let me do that this time because I am now on an anti-depressant. I am going to my PCP on Wednesday and plan to talk to her about this as well.

Healing happy thoughts @TML!


Katrina
Two ACL surgeries on left knee (March 2001 & May 2006)
RTKR ---15 December 2015
LTKR--- 12 July 2016
 
@katgonmom thx for your suggestion. I am also on an antidepressant so I probably won't be able to take it either. It will be interesting to find out from my doc.

I retired from teaching 3 years ago and can't imagine you going back in a few weeks. It's such a demanding job and you just had your surgery a few weeks ago. I hope you have some help and your administration is supportive. Please take care.
 
I'm not sure it's every anti-depressant but it is true for the one I'm on. I used drugs.com to check for medication interactions. It is an easy site to get the info you want.
 
Today is my knee's 5-week anniversary! I slept through Sunday's nighttime Norco pain pill time and didn't need it when I woke up Monday morning and haven't needed it since. My headache and stomache ache are better but not gone. Therapist says it will take a few days to clear from my system. I took Tylenol today (Tuesday) since I had PT and it seems to be enough. Flexion improved to 120 and I rode the bike 10 minutes, pedaling all around, very slowly. Therapist showed me stretches and massages for my hamstring tendons, which are very very sore. They are more sore than the knee. He said that they will stretch out again over time since my knee is now straight. I am walking better, can even walk up stairs normally. My husband continues to do cooking and housework. Our standard for tidiness has relaxed as we both agree that he can only do so much and I should continue to rest, ice, walk a bit outside (therapist said not to overdue or swelling will occur), and do my exercises. I'm bored and trying to find things to do but my focus doesn't last more than 15 minutes. Therapist says at 8-10 weeks I should be feeling very good and back to most activities. I am seeing a big difference weekly now. My husband says I need to keep being a 'toad' by doing what I'm 'toad'.
:loll:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom