Guest viewing is limited

TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

I collect them from all over the place, not for profit mind you, but for exhortation only! I've been a Charles Shultz fan for 55yrs now! You should see my house!! I absolutely love all of the characters but Snoopy seems to be the most fitting for my friends recovering from knee surgery! The following comic strip made it's first appearance on Nov. 14th, 1966. Color has been added and it is the most shared strip to date!

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TML, Your progress is fantastic! I agree totally with you about the training before surgery makes a big difference. Just remember you are in the early stages of healing and don't push too hard or you will have to pay the price. I am so happy for you that you are making such wonderful progress. :wowspring:

I also love Peanuts. :)
 
Thx @Floridagal I promise to continue to rest, ice, elevate and take my meds. I've told my friends that I'm ready for a visit but that I tire easily. I'm only scheduling one thing (social visit or Doctor/PT appointment) for each day so I don't do too much. I wish I had a time machine to fast forward 6 months from now . . .
 
Yeah, at day 2 from 2nd TKR, I'd give anything for just 3-4 weeks, lucky my wife, Sue, is home babying me when I need it(10%) of the time, yelling at me when I overdo(90% of the time).
 
@teacher ted How did it go? I'm anxious to hear about both knees. I'll look for your thread.
 
Just a little update: I expected to be a little sore yesterday, which was the day after my first outpatient PT session. But I wasn't! I went again today and it felt good. I did stop Flexeril, the muscle relaxant, this morning. I'm really tired of feeling drugged out and sleepy all the time. So, I've missed 2 doses and, so far, sciatica has not come back and I don't feel any increase in pain.

I'm still thinking of weaning off the oxy (only have one week's worth of pills left and OS won't refill) perhaps taking only one dose Monday (dose is 1 pill every 12 hours). Still thinking.
 
@TML I am three weeks post surgery and decided to stop oxy (percocet) yesterday. I had been also taking morphine extended release and stopped taking that five days ago. I was nervous to do so but encouraged by my OS and brave BS folks. I decided to try the Tramadol/Tylenol combo recommended here. Yesterday was my best day since surgery! Minimal pain, more energy, and relief from constipation. However I am not comfortable tonight and suspect that is because I am taking less Tramadol than suggested as I only have a two week supply. But tomorrow I will ask OS for a larger refill and take the recommended dose. No matter what I am glad to have turned this corner and kicked oxy to the curb.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Barnmom22 it looks like your surgery was the day after mine. Is Tramadol non-narcotic? So many have mentioned it here that it sounds like a good substitute. Now that I've been off the muscle relaxant and it's going well, my next step is addressing the oxy. I think I'll call OS Monday and ask about Tramadol/Tylenol combo. Thanks for your note.
 
@TML. I think it's a synthetic narcotic. Josephine is the one who devised a protocol using the two drugs in combo. I had read in BS a dozen people saying it worked well for them as an alternative to oxy. I thought it might be a good step down for me. It's inly been two days but I do think it will work. However to my surprise I can't tolerate the 100 mg recommended here. But 50 mg every four to six hours seems to be working. Please reach out to Josephine and your doctor before switching. Careful rules the day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thx @Barnmom22 I will call OS Monday to discuss.

I stopped Flexeril 3 days ago because I was so sleepy round the clock. This is so weird - I'm still sleepy round the clock! Drinking a coke keeps me awake for a few hours and then, BAM, my eyelids get heavy and I'm back to sleep again. I'm only taking Oxy and Norco now. Right after surgery, I couldn't sleep. Now, almost 4 weeks out, all I do is sleep. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

:yawn: :sleep: :yawn: :sleep: :yawn: :sleep:
 
I have t figured out that answer myself still. I'm no longer taking anything other than Tylenol or a NSAID. It seems if I'm not working I sleep all day. I'm up all night no matter whether I work or not during the day! Nothing seems to help me sleep when I should (I tried several different meds including prescription ones).
 
I went through that sleeping off and on all the time. I was sleeping only an hour or so at the time, but around the clock. Only the last week or so have I not been taking at least two naps a day. Now, it's just one. But, I'm sleeping a couple of hours at the time at night and then get up and walk around and then go back to sleep pretty quickly. So, I'm getting more sleep at night. You are almost 3 weeks behind me, so you are still in the very exhausted stage. Remember that energy drain! It's still affecting a whole lot of us. So, enjoy your sleeping. Your body needs it.
 
Now, almost 4 weeks out, all I do is sleep. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I remember when I was where you are in my recovery and I slept allot too. I would read and respond to only a very few posts here and poof- asleep I went! Some of it I believe is the oxy but also, our bodies are working overtime to recover from major surgery. I welcomed the sleep- it helped the time to pass and I wasn't worried about things I couldn't control while I was asleep! I've heard for Years that our bodies to the best recovering while we are asleep!

Now at 11wks out I'm back to my ole insomnia habits and I miss the sleep I had back then- ha!

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the "guilt free" naps. :heehee: Listen to your body--it's craving the rest.
 
Thanks everyone. It really helps to know I'm not alone. @Suz I agree that time passes quicker when I'm asleep! Tomorrow is the 4-week anniversary of my TKR and it doesn't seem possible that a month has passed. My husband, however, thinks it's been longer!
:sleeep:
 
Congratulations on the 4-week anniversary of your knee replacement @TML! That is VERY exciting and means you are well on your way now!

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
@Suz thanks! I'm still sleeping a lot but woke up enough to go to PT this afternoon!

Today I am 4-weeks out from TKR surgery and thought I'd share my progress. At PT I got on the bicycle for the first time and did some gentle rocking motions; then it felt strong enough that I pushed on and completed 4 very slow rotations. At the end of my PT session, ROM was measured at 118/0. My therapist and I were very happy! My hamstring and calf are sore tonight, so I must have awakened some muscles and may have overdone it a bit. I'm icing just about everywhere, took my nighttime Oxy and am calming down for the night. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I'm weaning off Oxy, taking only 1 pill (12-hour extended release) at night with none during the day for the past 4 days. I'm still taking 2 Norco, every 4 hours round the clock. Next week, I'll consider spacing out the Norco. I really don't feel any pain but experience soreness, stiffness and muscle fatigue most of the time. There is minimal swelling in the knee only. I spend most of the day resting, icing, elevating and doing home PT but haven't felt strong or awake enough to go anywhere except PT and doctors appointments. I'm still sleeping much of the day and most of the night. I've had a few visitors and am totally exhausted after they leave, even though I ice and elevate while they're visiting. I transitioned from the walker to the cane a few days ago.

I've lost 10 pounds, without trying. I still don't have much of an appetite, so I'm being careful to eat nutritiously. I eat 3 small meals a day and snack on grapes, prunes or dates. Miralax with juice each morning and Colace at night helps combat constipation from the meds. I'm careful to drink a lot of water and splurge on one coke a day when I want to stay awake! I need to use the oxygen at night until I'm off the narcotics. They make my breathing shallow and slow.

OS said I could skip the 4-week checkup since things were going well. So, I'll see him next at 6-weeks. These last 4 weeks have gone by quickly to me but not so to my husband. He's pretty tired. We're very blessed that we're both retired and have each other. And I'm grateful to my friends here on Bonesmart for your support. Wishing all a restful night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OS said I could skip the 4-week checkup since things were going well.
That's wonderful @TML! You are really doing well in your recovery!

We're very blessed that we're both retired and have each other. And I'm grateful to my friends here on Bonesmart for your support. Wishing all a restful night.

You are always so positive and write so well! Thank You for how you so encourage us here at BoneSmart. And especially so those just coming home from their surgeries!

Hope you rest well tonight also!

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Wow girlfriend that is great ROM and extension, amazing, my first PT visit I did 10 minutes on the bicycle, guess which club I was a member of??? So now I rock back and forth for about 6 minutes then on go all the way around the last 4 minutes, it's not that easy.

I'm like 8 days ahead if you, my ROM was 101 last time I was measured at week four. Late last week I stopped taking pain meds during the day, only because I didn't need them, I feel discomfort more than pain, I take Tylenol arthritis formula 650 mg as needed, and Tramadol or an Oxy for bedtime depending on discomfort, sometimes by the end of the day I'm sore, I still ice and elevate, I really don't need naps anymore, and the poop fairy has been a daily companion since I'm pretty much off the narcotics, I still have no appetite.

Things are really moving along for you also, it's a great feeling!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom