TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Glad things are coming along so well for you @TML! Hope the Flexerill relaxes you sciatica pain. As you begin rehab keep the BoneSmart mantras apart of your day these early weeks in your recovery! It's so easy to slow our progress down by straying away from the mantras. Our baby knees just need to grow up some before we put them to task! :tada:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thx @Suz for the reminder. I am bored out of my mind but am staying with the plan to rest, ice and elevate. Home PT got me outside today on the flat sidewalk for a short walk where I could take a few strides. It felt so good. The Flexeril knocked me out most of the day but is helping somewhat with the sciatica. @uva55 you are so right about it making you sleep. Home PT also showed me a stretch to try. I switched the time around to take Flexeril right before bed and I can probably skip the Benedryl. I'm going to be sure that my recovery goes well by resting, icing and elevating. There's too much at stake to do otherwise . . .
 
Today's my 17th day postop and I'm sleeping every night, thanks in part to the drowsy side effect of Flexeril, which I take before bed. It also seems to be helping the sciatica, so I'm not feeling the need right now for an injection. The pain remains strong on the outside of my calf but it is tolerable and the hamstring stretch seems to be helping. I'm managing.

I saw my PCP yesterday to see if I could get off oxygen. Since I've become more active, my oxygen level is now high enough during the day that I can stop it but must remain on it at night until I stop the narcotics. OS prescribed 2 more weeks and said to use them if I need to but won't prescribe any more.

Today's my last day of Home PT. Next week I start outpatient. I have set up appointments with the therapist that helped me rehab through rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago on both shoulders (7 months apart). He is excellent and I look forward to this next step in recovery.

Boredom is really setting in. I'm too groggy to read. Any ideas?
 
Your recovery is going so well, it's so great to read - congrats! Boredom can make us start thinking we can do more than we should. I spent a lot of my time watching Netflix and coloring. Won't be long before you'll be able to add more to your daily living but for now I hope you continue to take it easy and continue healing as well as you have been.:)
 
I was mainly stuck in front of the TV. If I started to read, I'd almost immediately fall asleep. I tried the seek and find words. That didn't work. I bought a coloring set, but haven't started it yet. Now, is probably the time to do that!
 
There was lots of TV watching for me too. A friend brought me a very simple sweet novel that was easy to read. I devoured it. Sometimes I read at 3:30 AM when I couldn't sleep. Other heavier reading I couldn't stomach and still find it hard to concentrate for more than a few pages. Soon it will get much easier for you. I can feel it coming. However the boredom is still there for me but now at least I can do some simple cleaning.
 
Just being able to sweep the kitchen floor feels like an big accomplishment!
 
Thx everyone for your ideas. It's funny how I'm starting to feel stronger but after taking a walk outside today, I sat down in the recliner, propped and iced my knee, then fell asleep for 2.5 hours!
 
Hey, I'm right there with you! I went shopping for an hour and am wiped out for the rest of the day and night! I even had to get my friend to drive us back home I was so woozy. What a bummer. What is good is knowing that I'm not alone in these feelings and neither are you!
 
@sistersinhim it does help to know that others are going through this fatigue as well. I did 2 sets of exercises today - they are minimal and cause no pain but have already given me some strength back. I am fortunate that all my care providers follow the BS protocol. I've iced and elevated all day long and every single time I started to read something, I fell asleep! I don't believe I've been awake for more than 2 hours total today! Bedtime is 4 hours away. Wonder if I'll sleep?
 
Sleep every bit you can cause when you're sleeping your knee is healing. and I bet you will sleep tonight, too. It might be spotty, like all the rest of us do, but you will! And I fall asleep quickly too while trying to read.

It's great that you can tell that you are gaining strength! It makes it all worth while and encouraging for the future!
 
Good for you on sleeping during the day, the most I've managed is 20 minutes. I am 1 week ahead with my new Zimmer Persona and just sleeping through the night (2 nights!) excepting changing ice packs. I'm a little concerned with how I'll do with the 2nd knee regarding sleeping, but, "little steps".
I walked down to a local steam and watched fish swim yesterday for the high point, how Zen is that?
 
@tpellerin I think the muscle relaxant is the cause of my drowsiness but you can see that I'm not complaining! I'm fortunate to have a loving husband, who is also retired, and helping me so that I can heal.

Thx for sharing your Zen moment. I hope you will remember that imagery when you are in pain and that it brings you comfort. I send you strength and best wishes for a second TKR. I'll be looking out for your posts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I begin outpatient PT on Tuesday with the same therapist that guided me through rotator cuff rehab 2 years ago. We have excellent rapport and I'm anxious to hear his assessment of my progress and plans going forward.

My knee pain is minimal now (almost 3 weeks out) and I'm wondering when I should start weaning off oxycodone. They told me to do that one first. I take it every 12 hours. I'd love some opinions on this as I don't want to get off too soon. Should I wait until after PT on Tuesday? Should I take all that's prescribed? To all my BS buddies, please share your experiences with me.
 
At three weeks out I stopped taking my tramadol. I only had two left and I wanted to conserve them for a really bad time. They are still sitting in the bottle. Now I only take Tylenol before bed and before PT and when the knee seems a little cranky. My journey has not been like most folks - but you asked.
 
Hello @ TML
It was 6 weeks out from surgery before I could get off oxycodone just because I still had so much pain at night and during PT.
I think it's a personal decision when to stop taking oxy, tylenol may help if you'r just having minimal pain and perhaps save the oxy for more severe pain.
I'm still taking Tramadol ( low doze narcotic) with tylenol when I need it.
Glad to hear your pain is minimal at just 3 weeks.
best of luck !
 
I went off the Oxy during the day at about 3 weeks unless I had more pain than usual. I substituted Tramadol for the Oxy. I will use Oxy at night, if I need to. If I'm not having extra pain, I'll use 100mg of Tramadol and 1000mg of Tylenol before bed. Let your knee be your guide. Everyone is different as is every knee. Some keep taking the Oxy for a couple of months or so. The main thing is to let the pain get in your way of sleeping or your daily life.
 
Hi @TML! Just stopping in to see how you're doing! Hopefully your pain has lifted some and you're seeing a shift for the better in you recovery!

[Bonesmart.org] 21 June  2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again
 
Thx everyone for sharing your experiences. I have 10 more days of oxy left and think I'll stay on it as prescribed through my first two outpatient PT appointments this week and then try tapering off.

Today is a big day: Its been 3 weeks since surgery and I had my first outpatient PT appointment. My therapist was amazed at my mobility and lack of swelling. (He said Home PT had me doing too many different exercises and that I didn't need to do 3 sets a day.) So, he gave me similar but fewer exercises and said twice per day was enough. Thursday I will get on the bike at PT and then use my recumbent bike at home. He measured flexion at 112 and extension at 0. Also, I can start using a cane. I am so happy!

Looking back, I believe my pre-surgery exercises helped me in this recovery. My OS told me that the more fit I was going into surgery, the easier recovery would be. So, even though I was in quite a bit of pain pre-surgery, I did leg strengthening exercises and rode my stationary bike 4-5 times a week during the 2 months before surgery.

I'm exhausted from going to PT this afternoon and a little more sore so I'm icing and elevating. We'll see how I feel tomorrow as to whether I did too much or not. Wishing everyone a good night's sleep.
 
@Suz would you plz share your source for your Charlie Brown/Snoopy cartoons? I absolutely love them.
:loveshwr:
 
Back
Top Bottom