2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thecoll Same day! :yes!:

I think 3 months apart is ideal. (I scheduled mine 4 months)

Right now I feel a huge difference between the good and bad knee - you not only feel it, but see it! I walk a little better than before going in and am stronger, but the bad knee definitely holds you back some. So half way there! My PT thinks once the second knee is done I will feel a lot better. I'm still stiff in my good knee and have to exercise everyday, so it takes time to heal.

Like I said above, I think the first 2 weeks were the hardest, but you everyday you can do a little more. It's encouraging when you see improvement...which for me was the first 4 weeks. By week 3, I was cooking & cleaning in small amounts. I would rest in between, ice, exercise, elevate, nap. You're very tired the first month.

I used my walker for 4 weeks. I just didn't feel safe without it. Lol (afraid of falling) You're supposed to wean to a cane after a few weeks, but I just went straight to walking without anything. I started driving at 4/5 weeks but probably could've done it at 2 1/2 - 3 weeks? My husband did most of the driving so I didn't try earlier, plus I was still on pain meds. It was my left leg so easier too.

So glad you can work from home.

I started wfh at week 2 but it was a little rough. I bought one of those laptop TV trays & sat up in bed for short spurts. It was difficult & my back would stiffen up so had to get up a lot. I thought I could sit in a recliner or lay on the couch, but it was too uncomfortable. Sitting in a chair was really tough the first 3-4 weeks, esp. for me, because my ROM was so poor before & after so it took some time before I could sit comfortably at a desk. Luckily I was able to work from for home 8 weeks. Going back to work and driving were tiring at first but I still do my exercises in morning and use heat to loosen up, then do laps every hour at work.

Things that help:

Tennis balls for walker
Basket on front of walker :)
Lots of ice packs!
Heating pad (for back or legs - ask for heat too in PT)
Leg elevator wedge
Dog leash or foot strap (to do heel slides or lift leg)
Loose fitting sweat pants
TV tray next to bed
Basket for pain meds, snacks, water bottles
Soft blanket (nothing heavy on leg)
Stationary bike
Dial soap (antibacterial) Anything to prevent infection - I became a clean freak.
Walking! I did laps several times a day around the kitchen table.

Things I did not expect:
(Just from my experience)

To be so cold - (I was freezing back in April for a few weeks) Between the shock to your system and all the icing you freeze - glad its August! :)
How hard it is to lift leg up into bed (esp. if your bed is high!) That's painful
How much you have to go to bathroom the first few weeks! If you have any type of urinary incontinence - be prepared.
Constipation - make sure you take the laxatives and stool softeners - first week is rough.
How painful bending the knee in PT is - this for me was the most painful. I always took my meds beforehand.
That I needed to take pain meds for 3 months - (that's how long PT for me was) 3xs a week -outpatient.
Sensitive knee cap - the nerves start firing around 2 months, and the incision gets itchy and more sensitive.
How moody and teary eyed you get - good thing it only lasted a few weeks. Like a bad PMS LOL
That I lost 15lbs - woo hoo!!
It's a long process...I still stiffen up at 4 months out.
How quickly time flies and & how easy it really was...

@Annie11 this is great feedback! Thank you! You especially got me with you lost 15 lbs!! I'm all for that!!

Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all August Hot Shots!

aug-logo-1-jpg.51181

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 August 16 Reanna27, maseko, LindaW
02 August 16 April Hill (her first)
03 August 16 JustmeT (patellar resurfacing), Baboo65, Aunty T
05 August 16 audreys130 (bilateral)
08 August 16 Doggiemom
10 August 16 goforwalks
11 August 16 thecoll (her first), Annie11 (her second)
15 August 16 FlaGranny, zammie24, MaddyS
17 August 16 dianehelen, Sipzener
22 August 16 nananew (her second), Tnlady
23 August 16 jvbs, sheliac
24 August 16 karena71, Deeann (her second)
25 August 16 pizzadog
26 August 16 poopoo (her first)
30 August 16 greatlakes

Hi I was originally scheduled for right total knee replacement in September but was moved up to August 22nd today. Iam so happy but little nervous. I am looking forward to knowing the pain in my knee has a future end.love this site so encouraging and informative.

melt  20.jpg
@Tnlady, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

This time tomorrow morning my OS will be installing my bionic knee. Nervous, anxious and ready to get this going. My son came home last night from college and will be here till middle of next before he leaves for fall semester. Thankful that my husband works from home so he will be here to assist me. Now headed to work to tie up lose ends and I will try not to over thinking about this all day. Thank you everyone for the advice and shared experiences thus far. See you all on the other side tomorrow on the post op threads which I am sure I will have more questions and comments.

On the "other side" now, again. I am at post surgery day 6, and doing much better than the first time. I am a bit depressed with the horrible weather we are having (high heat and humidity) and not being able to go outside and get some fresh air. One day at a time....

@thecoll Best of luck - you're going to do great!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Bloodwork improved! Cleared for surgery Monday!!

Great that your blood work improved. I remember when I was younger, before menopause, flirting with anemia. It's pretty common.

Wooo eeee had pre op on the 10 th.. Love the informative class that southern joint replacement offers. I had a lot of questions answered there. The one thing I do need an answer to is how painful the placement of a spinal is. Iam happy I will have that vs GA but have never had one so wondering. Appreciate any guidance.. Thanks

A video they gave me at the hospital speaks about a spinal, calling it "painless." I'm sure they numb your skin first. I had one many years ago and I don't remember it being painful.

For me, the spinal was not painful at all. The A had me sit up and lean forward a bit. He then used his finger or thumb to locate between the vertebrates where he would put the needle. Then he said, "this will stick a little, then you will feel your bum getting warm and tingly and it will travel down your legs."
That is exactly what happened. Tingly, then numbness. Then they laid me back, put a breathing mask over my nose and mouth - and then I woke up as they where wheeling me back to my room.
Feeling was returning within an hour or so, and I was walking at the 4 hour mark. My left foot, (the surgical leg) remained mostly numb until the next day. The OS explained that once they are in the knee they "freeze" a nerve that travels down that leg and it takes about 24 hours to return to normal. That is the way it worked for me!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I just found out that my OS did a hip replacement on Connie Frances about 6 years ago. I also know that he did a knee on a local news anchor - now retired. I always liked Connie Frances. She did some great songs back in the day. I think she is about my age now.

P.S. Both were pleased with their results.

Hi all. I have 2 questions. My Dr said I'll be getting a nerve block. Is that the same as a spinal or is that something he does once in the knee? Also, how does post op pain compare to the normal arthritis every step pain we have now? Less, same, or more? Just wondering what I'm in for. It's getting close!!

Thanks,
Karen

Karen, a nerve block is given near the groin to numb the leg. It is totally separate from a spinal. I'm still wondering how the postop pain will compare to the preop pain myself. I'm sure others here will know the answer to that, but everyone is different.

P.S. I believe they do the nerve block after your spinal and/or sedation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my time! I have to be at the hospital at 7 a.m. Surgery scheduled at 9. I think I'll probably be the 2nd, maybe 3rd. At least don't have to wait until afternoon. I'm good with that.

Yay @ FlaGranny! I'm early too 7:30 I have to be at the hospital at 5:30!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back