2015 October Feisties - Are you having hip surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its creeping closer for all of us! What is everyone renting in advance? Based on the pre-op appointment I just went through, it sounds like I should rent a walker and cane, grabber, sock helper and have a lot of pillows and ice packs handy. I'm also tempted to see if I can rent one of those reclining chairs if possible. I have a lazy boy, but the physio said No LazyBoys - wondering what people use to sit/sleep in for first few weeks to get comfortable??
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!



[Bonesmart.org] 2015 October Feisties - Are you having hip surgery in October?

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

05 October 15 DebraR (her second), CSrighthip
06 October 15 hip2 (bilateral), Hip hop hooray, Mike315 (his first)
07 October 15 Mimi#51
08 October 15 Skatie
12 October 15 hippityhop (her second)
14 October 15 Eliana (her first), Cisne
19 October 15 Kocob (her second), ilovefall (her second), slapstep
20 October 15 Just4mules
21 October 15 hotdog22
27 October 15 Tiffany57, Hipster Girl (her second)
29 October 15 RonelleZA
 
Suffering for nearly 4 years. October 19 is it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hi @Skatie So, you are sounding on track with your list. The most important thing is that the hospital will probably fit you to a walker when you are there and you take it home with you ( they bill your insurance) I bought a can because the last 3 months pre op became painful enough that I needed that cane for support on walks on any length. The hospital also set me up with a bedside commode and I am able to use it over my toilet and then didn't need a toilet riser.
I actually did rent the electric lift chair from a home health supply store. Best money spent ever! Iive slept in it for several nights so far. (Day 6 post op!) and today, if not walking or exercising I am sitting up in the chair. Very comfy.
The "grabber" to help pick things up is good. and the sock grabber. There are several good threads on this subject in the library. Heck, everything on this site is good reading. but the library cuts to the heart of things and gets you prepared.
The ice packs need to be very plentiful. I thought that I had enough. But I didn't plan on a low grade fever and a very hot, leg. I swear my body pulls the coldness out of my pals within 60 minutes!

Glad you found this site. I found it in July and it's been a real Godsend. So, pull up a chair and get comfy and start reading. Everybody here is so nice and supportive.
 
Thanks for the feedback @CricketHip I've been doing a lot of library reading as well! it sounds like you are doing great only a week out! I'm going to look into renting an electric recliner chair and a walker today. In my pre op class I specifically asked if I should wait to get the walker through the hospital and they said they don't do that, so I guess I should be prepared in advance! Now that you are on the other side, wHat is the one thing you wished you knew or did prior to surgery!?
 
I was pretty darned prepared..:heehee: and quite pleased with my room set up for recovery. We don't have a bathroom on our first floor so I stay in the master suite and thankfully the room is large enough to hold my recliner and I have a bedside table. The one thing that I didn't consider was the area around the recliner. I needed a small table beside it which we improvised with a small chair. But the thing I wish I had?? A breakfast in bed tray!!! seriously! no matter ow you sit up and prop up with cushions, etc, it's impossible to eat and not get crumbs and drips all over! I created a thread in the pre op area and asked people what there the top 5 things? I received great answers, maybe you could look that up too?
 
@Skatie I'm with you my surgery is 10/5/15 right hip why is everything I have read is mostly the right hip what's going with the right hip people. :heehee:
 
Please add me to the October list. I had a RTHR on Sept 8th and am scheduled for LTHR seven weeks from the first on Oct 27th.

Surgeon said I can move it up to anything 5+ weeks if there is a cancellation but it doesn't look like that is going to happen but that's OK - at 7 weeks, the right hip should be healing very well and should be strong enough to support the load after the surgery on the left since the OS has us at 50% weight bearing for 4 weeks.

To be honest, I'm dreading having to go through this all over again but am trying to keep my eye on the prize which is getting my life back. The only pain now is actually on my soon-to-be-operated side which reminds me why I am doing all this. The pain is completely gone on my right side.
 
Hi, 29 years old and scheduled for Total Right Hip Replacement for 29 October 15'.
 
@Skatie I just had my RTHR on Wednesday, technically a September Sapphire, but I went home October 1! I had similar concerns and spoke to my OS's PA and she told me as long as she had been there no one had ever remembered waking up, In addition I mentioned it to the Anesthesiologist, it was great. I posted to BS from the recovery room. Most surgeons use some type of nerve block so you don't wake up in pain, you can ask your doctor what he does. I came home Thursday and I live alone with 4 dogs, I am taking Tramadol for pain every 4 hour, all doctors vary on this so ask your about the options and share your concerns, including being nauseous. I found everyone to be very accommodating about my concerns, that helps a lot. Little things are so important when you are going into an unknown situation. My surgeon told me he had to take two valium before he had surgery, you are not alone. Good wishes going your way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
 
Oct. 6th for me. LTHR.

And since this is my first post, a little background. Started having pain in July in my left hip. Was told it was tendinitis. It wasn't... Xrays looked good. CT scan looked good. But finally, when they did an MRI, that's when they finally saw it, AVN... And they did all of that because I ended up in the ER for extreme pain in my hip. Tendinitis or even bursitis wouldn't have caused that much pain. And, when I saw the surgeon, his Xray showed collapse. So, THR for me... At this point, I'm just looking forward to getting it over with. And I hope it never happens in my right hip, although I know there is a good possibility of that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom