2015 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] 2015 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?
@Molly12, your surgery date has been officially changed!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all May Marvels!



[Bonesmart.org] 2015 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?
[Bonesmart.org] 2015 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 May 15 Liznwiz
04 May 15 mattcine (his first), fearbox (her second)
05 May 15 Julie_MN
06 May 15 Jayboats20017, BadJointGA (his second), JanetLynn, Lore O
07 May 15 JayP
08 May 15 Gummy Bears, JulieJF
11 May 15 Sunny side up, 3Sportsdad, Sagefemme, buzzybee
12 May 15 CollieAngel
13 May 15 Blessed1, Hooray
14 May 15 andycappvn
18 may 15 ccfleth
19 May 15 campedrn, Zumbamama (bilateral), Molly12
20 May 15 Dmac24, Desire
26 May 15 hbark
28 May 15 teacher
 
Hi all, I'm scheduled for 13th, just realised I haven't added my name to the May list.. It was for the 6th, but I've posted the re-schedule fun and games elsewhere .. (Last minute post!!)
 
Hello,
I've just become a member...
I will be having a total hip surgery on May 20th in Belgium, by Dr. Koen de Smet...
I'm very anxious, I will be very happy to learn about your past experiences.
Thanks,
 
@Desire

Hello! I know that others will greet you and give you an official welcome to the May cohort, but I happened to be here when your message popped up.

I've just returned home from the hospital after having my surgery on Friday, May 8. Like you, and like most other people here, I was terribly nervous. I think I would have put off surgery longer if my husband had given me even an inch of room to consider it, but once I had the initial consult, he kept shaking his head. :)

Home now, and everything went well. :)

I think many of us find this forum a godsend. You'll be happy you found it, I'm sure!
 
Thank you Julie)))
You are my first friend in this forum, I'm happy to learn that everything went well for you.
 
@Desire
You should ask questions and vent your anxiety and frustration here. Everyone is wonderfully supportive, and they're either going through the same thing or they have already gone through the same thing. I think I would have lost my mind (or at least shed even more tears) if I hadn't discovered this wonderful forum before I went in for surgery. :)
 
I'm very happy to find this Forum, you are right I have so many questions to ask...

I have problem in my left hip, from birth but up to now this hadn't given me much trouble.
I have two kids, the latest one 4.5 hears old , after his birth my situation got worse, during the last two years I've lost some mobility, got stiff and have aches while walking.
Thanks God, the aches are tolerable, but my doctor advised me to have the operation as soon as possible so my life quality would not be affected more..
So I decided to have the opearation and scheduled it for the 20 th of May.

In the mean time, my right hip, which was normal, started aching and limiting me..
It realy troubles me a lot, I will be having an operation from my left and my right aches more(((
Had anyone experienced a similar problem, what could be the reason for this?
 
@Desire

I have congenital hip dysplasia, so also have had problems from birth, too!

What finally drove me to my initial consult back in January with my surgeon was that my right hip and right lower back started hurting quite a lot. I was afraid that I was developing arthritis in my right hip (the good side) because I had let my left leg go for so long. [I had always known that I would have early arthritis because of my joint abnormality and was first told that I was a candidate for hip replacement when I was 29. At the time, it didn't hurt consistently and my son was an infant, so I put it off.] I didn't know WHAT was going on with my back, but I was nervous that I had damaged something else there, too.

In my case, my surgeon told me that my right was "a good looking hip," and that the pain I was experiencing was the result of my right side having to work so much harder to compensate for my left hip which was in very bad shape. The lower back pain was caused by my spine trying to compensate for my left hip, which was frozen into a slightly forward bent position, and hold my pelvis under my body to walk.

So that was the source of my extra pain. That was the last straw, though. I knew I needed to go forward with the surgery after the rest of my body started to be noticeably affected.
 
I think we have similiar cases...My doctor also said that my right side might be working harder to compensate for my left side..I hope they will both become better after the operation.
We are around the same age, has your doctor given a specific recovery timing for you?
I'm a very independent person and handle everything by myself, I wonder more about the recovery period than the operation itself)) I trust imy doctor and believe that everything will go well...
Hopefully I will be as positive as you are, just 4 days after the operation... Thanks for your valuable support...
 
@Desire
Yes, sounds similar!

My recovery will be slower than average because of some additional bone work my OS had to do. I've written about it in my recovery thread. I'm on weight-bearing restrictions, so using crutches and a toe-touch on my operated leg for at least a month.

What I understand from this forum is that everyone's recovery is a unique voyage. My roommate in hospital was walking with a cane by day two after surgery and was allowed to walk normally, so no restrictions like mine. I went into the surgery trying to have no expectations for what my recovery should be. It is going to happen in its own way, but I'll get to the same place. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2015 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?
@Desire, you have been officially added to the May surgery list!

We want to share your journey with you. Please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. To start a new thread about your recovery, hover your mouse over "Knee Replacement" on the white line below the blue line at the top of the page. Click on "Hip Replacement Pre Op Area". On the upper right hand side under the white line under the blue line, you will see a black rectangle with the words "Post New Thread" in white. Click on this, enter whatever title you want for your thread, tab down to the dialogue box and start typing your post.

Also, here is the Library link that gives you the instructions you need to do this:
Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post.
 
I had mine on May 4th. 2015


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom