2015 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Majic..Thank you for your input. The whole pending experience is frightening! I use these pain patches called Salonpaas because I need to be careful about NSAIDS with my kidneys. After reading everyone's input I am somewhat concerned about how I am going to manage pain after surgery. I am not using the patches now because my surgery is July 28... and I am really hurting. I never realized just how much those little patches help. How are doing after your first TNR? I would really appreciate your input. :)
 
@Stefny I was back to normal after my LTKR just a little muscle pain if I overdid things, but I could walk 3/4 miles and only used a stick in the gale force winds we have had in spring. I was back to ballroom dancing, a passion of ours.

But on 3rd June as I was going to bed I fainted. No one has so far found out why. My new knee was not damaged, but I pulled two muscles in that leg. We had visitors from Australia, and I hobbled around on two sticks looking after them having upped my pain Meds. I overdid things and ended up with back ache and a pain in my other ankle. We have been away for a week, during which I did very little except some walking towards the end to try to keep my muscles going. My injuries seem to have healed and my OS is happy to go ahead, as my bad knee is making me waddle when I walk and is not helping my back or my legs so I am looking forward to getting it done. I was not on any NSAIDs after my last op even though I was before it. They found other drugs for the pain, so you shouldn't need to worry on that score. Just make sure the medics know of your other health problems. They have to be particularly careful with me as I am Epileptic, and many painkillers can cause fits. I would take a list of drugs you can and can't have, keep a copy and give one to whoever prescribes your Meds.
I am 5 days before you and have started a post TKR thread for afterwards. You can follow it to see how I go on.
Jackie
 
@Magic. I so appreciate your responses Magic. Also, I am pleased to hear of the positive feedback regarding your Left TKR. I was beginning to feel quite down, as there does not seem to be a lot of posts remarking on positive outcomes. So very sorry, regarding the fainting mystery. You know, with meds and the shock of surgery to your overall system, I am not overly surprised. While I am not a doctor or nurse or anything, I do not think I would be surprised regarding unusual events during surgeries in general. You are a real trooper to graciously entertain your guests in spite of you health crisis. I so love hearing that you could continue doing your dancing.....what a blessing!! I will definitely want to follow you Jackie. (I am not totally computer savy so I will try to attempt to do that LOL) Wishing you well and sending a lot of positive karma your way for your upcoming surgery. :)
 
Set for July 22, 9:00 am RTKR. I had my left done May 5
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all July Sparklers!

[Bonesmart.org] 2015 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 July 15 jbrooklyn (bilateral)
06 July 15 PamelaColorado, Rob 68, boditty
07 July 15 cowgal
09 July 15 Slainte
10 July 15 Deeann, mennalou
13 July6 15 mfb, Braunzie
14 July 15 Lacy21, SarahJane
15 July 15 MsBlue
16 July 15 iivesfam5, newlinda (revision)
20 July 15 CBH, Ella61
21 July 15 cpd599, Lili, sologros
22 July Pansy727 (her first), Bilbo (her second)
23 July 15 Majic (her second)
24 July 15 Pansy727 (her second), Complaintdesk
27 July 15 Cindy knits, Lynnallison175
28 July 15 Stefny, zombie fan
 
Its 12:55 am pain meds due at 1:00 am the pain is so bad in me knee it goes up my thigh to my hip making my hip hurt more than my knee. So much for setting the alarm pain isu alarm!!!! Im more needing my pain to get better than afraid of surgery. One more week and i can be on.the road to recovery. My sons say how strong i am and this willjust make me stonger with a new battle scar. Luv thpse kids;)
 
@zombie fan Hang in there! You and I are surgery buddy's so I am definitely thinking about you, it won't be long now. You are in the home stretch now!!:)
 
Thank you@stefny your words are very hwlpful.we are surgery buddies qnd that fay


Thank you! I cant wait. The pain is bad. I hope all is well for you:)
 
@zombie fan.....I am so hoping you were able to get some rest. Pain is why we are all doing this thing. I am so glad that you have your sons there with you. Thinking of you, hoping today is better than yesterday for you. Not to worry about spell check, I can figure it out. :)
 
Left knee replacement scheduled for Friday July 24th, @ VGH. I am really looking forward to playing golf, water-skiing and being able to walk on sand again.
My surgery has been rescheduled to Wednesday August 5th. My surgeon from VGH (Vancouver General Hosp.) & his office were on vacation and just returned yesterday. Apparently upon return they had so many emergency cases to take care of first, surgery date shuffling was in order.
Take me off the July surgery list please and add me to the August list, merci beaucoups.
 
@Complaintdesk.......Well not to worry, this just gives you more time to learn about what you are about to experience. This site is great for that. Additionally, there are some very nice, caring, and informed folks that you can share with on this site. Welcome!
:)
 
My surgery is next Monday (7-27). Please tell me I'm not crazy; my knee is aching more than ever. The normal broken glass under my knee cap, now feels like there are razor blades in my knee. Is my knee rebelling because it knows it's days are numbered? ;)

When I get home from my 10 hour work day, my knee hurts so bad, all I can do is get in bed for a nap! I have much to finish up around the house this weekend and make a post surgical grocery shopping trip.

Has this happened to any of you? Thanks for all input and advice.
 
@Lynnallison175 Hi Lynn....my surgery is scheduled for July 28. I am feeling similar to you....mostly because I am not allowed to take any aspirin etc due to upcoming surgery. Not as bad as razors, glass. (so sorry for your pain) It probably just means you really need your surgery and you will feel much better soon. I can relate though coming home from 12 hour hospital shifts and being just barely able to walk to my car because my knees hurt so much. When I got home I remember just dropping into bed, and barely able to lift my legs up in bed they hurt so much. I am originally from Michigan Lynn....a little town called Birmingham. We will just have to continue to share our journey, since we are surgery buddies!! (along with a couple others as well) :)
 
@Stefny even that you will be coming home alone you are a very strong positive women that have many people praying for you and you will be stonger on the other side. Your in my thoughts and prayers;) the 28 th will be over very soon.take care;) xxx
 
@zombie fan.....so very very sweet and thoughtful. Thank you! We will both know shortly, won't we? My July 28th surgery buddy! :) :)
 
My surgery is next Monday (7-27). Please tell me I'm not crazy; my knee is aching more than ever. The normal broken glass under my knee cap, now feels like there are razor blades in my knee. Is my knee rebelling because it knows it's days are numbered? ;)

When I get home from my 10 hour work day, my knee hurts so bad, all I can do is get in bed for a nap! I have much to finish up around the house this weekend and make a post surgical grocery shopping trip.

Has this happened to any of you? Thanks for all input and advice.
My knee seemed to hurt the most the last couple of weeks before I had my surgery on July 9th. It had gotten progressively worse since the first of the year, and I tried to put on a brave face and carry on, until I gave up and scheduled the surgery. I think part of the reason it seemed so much worse at the end was because I did not bother to hide the pain anymore. And now it is gone! You will be so happy. I love my new knee.
 
@Slainte, I think you hit the nail on the head. I've been trying to act like this wasn't an issue. Now I fully accept how bad it is and I kinda don't care anymore. I'm walking like I'm in pain because I am in pain. I'm so ready for relief. Thanks for giving me a new perspective.
 
Found this site after my surgery, just had LTKA on Monday, July 20th. Looks like tons of good reading and good advice here, will return.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom