Guest viewing is limited

2015 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left partial knee replacement (LPKR) on December 17th. I just had the right one done in June, and 3 months later the left one went out. The doc says I am "in between" for needing either a partial or full.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all December SuperNovas!



[Bonesmart.org] 2015 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 December 15 CoachH, Snowshoe66, ScooperTR (bilateral), murphie2, KarenA (bilateral)
04 December 15 yellowrosewftx
09 December 15 kayak59 (her second)
14 December 15 MartialKnees (bilateral), XKV8R (bilateral), dancerosetree, heyspider
15 December 15 saanmar, Redradish
16 December 15 PennyAnte46 (bilateral partials), sharonc60, Lone Wolf (her second)
17 December 15 iamshrdlu (partial & her second)
18 December 15 Mobayley, loslocos
21 December 15 Juniper1 (bilateral), Debit (revision)
22 December 15 jarabas
28 December 15 GratefulNana (bilateral)
 
Glad to see the number of December SuperNovas is rising. I thought I was crazy for doing this so close to Christmas.
 
Glad to see the number of December SuperNovas is rising. I thought I was crazy for doing this so close to Christmas.

Well, once you get past the idea that you're crazy for doing it at all... :shrug:
 
You are not crazy. With a child that I need to drive to school, I either can do this over Christmas break or wait till summer. I suspect my "in between" status (doc says knee could either be a total or a partial per the MRI) will change to a "must do a total" status if I wait-- and I suspect, if I wait, that I will develop tendonitis in the other newly operated knee from all the limping. So Xmas here I come.
 
BTK scheduled for December 21. So glad I came across this website.
 
A month from right now, I'll have been at the hospital for a hour and a half. I'll plead the fifth on whether I'm getting nervous or not.

Whenever I go to the grocery store to buy milk, I always check the expiration date. I'm not looking forward to seeing the first one that has any date later than Dec 14th...
 
Me too Dec 18 in Columbus Oh.BTKR, I need to ask about riding my horse!!!!!!!!!
 
Ok, it's time....December 16th here for RTKR. Had LTKR the end of February. Wasn't really all I wanted for Christmas...but I'll take it.
 
I am scheduled to have a revision of my TKR that has failed. Is there anyone else in a similar situation? Date December 21
 
All cleared in pre-op yesterday for my December 1st BTKR barring any unforeseen circumstances between now and then! Looks like our December list is growing.
 
I am getting ready for right TKR on December 14. Looking forward to resting at home and celebrating the holidays :)
 
Hello December SuperNovas! I am both a November Nimble and December SuperNova. First knee was 11/9 and 2nd is 12/9. I was nervous and excited and as the date got closer and closer, I both just wished for it to be over with but also wanted more time to do my ToDos. Eventually I just said forget the ToDos and wanted the date to come. Two days before my surgery I spent the day kayaking and it was lovely. Could forget everything except when my friends had to haul me out of the kayak as I could not do it on my own. Then on Sunday, I just did my last minute things and it was like I'm ready. And every time I went up and down the stairs to the basement on my shaky, painful knees, I knew I'd made the right choice.

You've probably heard this before -- and I actually heard it from my Mum after both her knee replacements and her hip replacement -- when I woke in the Recover room "the" pain was gone. There was a different kind of pain -- and I'll be honest -- thank goodness for the morphine -- but they had me up and going to the bathroom within hours of my surgery. While it was quite painful bending that knee to put on the floor, as soon as I stood up, I could tell the difference. The shakiness and weakness was gone. The "bone" pain was gone. The knee felt solid. What I now had was soft tissue and muscle pain -- totally different from before. The next couple days weren't the greatest in my life but morphine was my friend. At this point, I just want to get the left knee done so I can look forward to continuous improvement from that day forward.)

(And, IMHO, as nasty as this is, if you've had an abdominal hysterectomy or any other major abdominal surgery, if my experience of that recovery was typical, you can handle this. I said nothing can be as bad as that and I still believe it.)
 
I am at the point where I feel ready to move on--my knee hurts enough that it wakes me at night and I am having to take days off from work. Kayak, I had a smilar experience of waking in recovery and knowing that you are fixed.
I had two heart valves repaired a year and a half ago. I was oxygen starved before my op and as soon as I woke up, I felt wonderfully oxygenated. I know that sounds funny, but it's true.:) I can relate to your decription of your knee feeling solid.
My sternum hurt like hell and it took me a while to recover my energy, but now I am sooo glad I had my heart fixed. Hopefully, we all have similar experiences with our knees-- we know that they are fixed, the bone pain is gone and we are getting on with life.:fingersx:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom