Guest viewing is limited

2014 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the video too on Youtube! Yikes it brutal maybe shouldn't have watched it? Still very interesting how it is all done. Amazing actually. Glad we can all be repaired and walk again without pain one day.
 
As long as you have someone with you I guess just overnight would be ok...my daughters will be picking me up from the hospital and staying a few days. I'm not taking my laptop but will have my cell. I'll probably wait till I get home to catch up with you...
 
I'm sure hoping I'll walk again without a limp and standing up straight again..forgot how that was
 
Me too! My husband is tasking three days off work and mt daughter will take off Monday. So I will have round the clock care fir first five days. Then after they get home from work they will help me. Good to year your daughters are able to come and take care of you. I think I want that nice shot they talked about before surgery it's called Versid ( spelling). So I won't care what they are doing but I need it now! Ha ha.
 
Is that a picture if your dog? I have two. One is an Australian Shepherd who is 75 lbs and a little Pug who's 20pounds. It's like having Mutt and Jeff. So cute. Love my dogs.
 
Only have the one dog...she's almost 12..was a rescue and got her when she was 10 months. You really do have Mutt and Jeff...one dog is plenty for me...ain't no spring cluck anymore. Some of my friends have Aussies too..nice dogs, great at agility.

I know pretty much what's going to happen but I just want to be out and not aware of anything especially the catheter..LOL
 
Both our dogs are rescues too . The Aussie is 10 and the Pug is 9. Not looking forward to the catheter either. Yuck. Rest up and get ready for the big day!
 
Too many dogs are getting euthanized because of over breeding, not spaying/neutering. Rescues are the only way to go..would save 2 at once that way. Just had a house cleaner here so my place will be clean for a few days. My dog is a long hair GSD so I have non-stop hair to contend with..you rest up also!!!!
 
Hi!
Are you talking about the catheter for your bladder? It will be put in when you are "asleep . " I worried about it too but then found it is helpful and not really uncomfortable. Anesthesia gives you a lot of fluid in surgery and after about 24 hours you start to get rid of it. I've had several procedures and the first time my catheter was taken out the morning of day #1 - and I was up every 15 minutes. I just had surgery last week and the catheter was left in longer- thank goodness. It was removed when I could be mobile enough to go into the bathroom by myself. It sounds bad but in my experience was not at all. Hope things go well for you.
I have a Bearded Collie - a goofy dog I love- also a herding breed. She was glad to see me when I came home Thursday!
 
@Margueritte Yes for the bladder. I asked my OS if I would have one..he said yes, for 24 hours. Told him I better be out before they do it..he told me I would. Last time I had a catheter was in 1963 for the c-birth of my last child. OS said no way could you get up to use the bathroom right after surgery. Is your Collie a rescue?

How are you doing so far? Much pain?
 
Emily is not a rescue but I applaud the rescue system! She thought I had disappeared when I was in the hospital and will not let me out of her sight!

I had my original knee surgery in 2012 - my patella didn't track correctly after - I have " knock knees"- and this required further surgery - and during this I got an infection. My case is very unusual! (1-2%). So don't worry about that. I have just had this treated and will be fine. I DO however have some post op experience!

I remember thinking -I can certainly get out of bed! I had a c section too. The difference here is the amount of fluid they give you - and the need for crutches etc to go to the bathroom every 15 min if you start to get rid of the fluid. Just see how it goes -play it by ear- I don't think it will bother you.
Only other thing would be to try to drink extra fluids and start some colace to prevent constipation a couple of days ahead.
That said - you will do fine!! This is a common procedure and the staff at the hospital will help you a lot! You will soon enjoy a new knee! It's worth it! Let me know if I can help!
 
My bad knee is getting more and more knock kneed since I now have bone on bone on the lateral side. I'll need to drink extra fluids just to be able to have the IV...veins small and roll..heck of a time to get a needle in. My biggest concern right now is getting out no longer than 3 days from the hospital. I have to hire a dog sitter which I've done but she can only stay 4 days at the longest. And my daughters plan to come up and take me home. They can only stay a few days...work, family, etc. Be glad when all of this is behind me..biggest worry is my dog. She probably won't eat but at least she'll be home. Last time I left her was at a boarding kennel...she hardly ate, paced a lot, had diarrhea...she's an old dog and I think has degenerative myelopathy.

Thanks for your advice
 
@klpgsd, @Margueritte, and @numbzee, Please do not use this thread for chit-chat. The purpose of this thread is to list members' surgery dates so other members can see who is having surgery the same month they are and can then contact one another in their own pre op threads. Thanks for your cooperation.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!


[Bonesmart.org] 2014 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Please do not chit-chat in this thread. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 14 D10snut
03 October 14 kneegone
06 October 14 tnyankee, jeanrtco (bilateral), B0etijlc, Allthejays (her first)
07 October 14 newkneesnc
08 October 14 Monkeyknee, Island Girl, TeeEm
09 October 14 E'sknees, Maeve, Agatha's mom
13 October 14 Racewalker45, pain free (bilateral), thebbmurphy
14 October 14 tmwillia (her second), [Robo37 (his second), blueskymum (bilateral)
15 October 14 rogersne
17 October 14 Clipless
20 October 14 madinana (her second), Toomuchfun (his first)
21 October 14 HerbM (bilateral), Lusknewknees , Glassfish , ConnieJOS , PeterinMontreal
22 October 14 Minnie's knees, newlife68
23 October 14 PrincessTia
27 October 14 Cynrob
28 October 14 SaraP , avj123 (bilateral)
29 October 14 pinot, klpgsd, numbzee, billingcl
30 October 14 bigmik (bilateral)
 
@billingcl

Best wishes for your surgery and for a speedy recovery. You will find lots of support here. Just be sure to start a thread in the recovery area so we can check in on your progress!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom