2014 January Jackpots - Are you having hip surgery in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Doyley. All the best for today....not long and it will all be done.....looking forward to hearing about your recovery very soon...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi! I'm having my right hip replaced January 31st. I can't lie I'm scared to death yet sick of living the last 6 months so limited. I use to do Crossfit, yoga, Pilates....I weight trained and even took up running 4 years ago for almost 2 years. I stopped as ordered by my doctor after an X-ray done due chronic stiffness and pain. Turned out it never went away because I had DJD. If I didn't stop running then I would need a new by the time I was 40. I was ok to continue all my other types of exercise just limit hard impact activities. I had start limiting myself more and more so I could function daily eventually eliminating any type of activity including house work. Yeah to that but amazing how you just wish you could do something like wash the floor or cut the grass without being laid up because my hip dislocated. I've convinced myself it will most likely get worse for a short time but worth it in the end! I hope. Thanks for a great informative site! Found some great info! All the best to thous recovering now and to thous with surgeries ahead !
 
Kerri not sure of your age but for me so far this has been very straight forward. Came home from hospital today (op was Monday) taking it very easy and following doctors/nurses instructions to the letter. You really have nothing to worry about I can promise you.
 
Hello everyone. Having left THR on January 21. Will keep you all up to date of what's happening.
 
I am so confused. Had trouble finding this post again. Anyway, four more days to go ... getting more anxious by the minute. Dreamt last night that I was out jogging on the day of my THR ... hahaha ... I wish.
 
I am having my second done on January 27th....wish I had found this site before my first which was 11/4/2013...thanks for having me !!!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.
Welcome to our latest and all January Jackpots!

[Bonesmart.org] 2014 January Jackpots - Are you having hip surgery in January?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Hip Section to post comments and share your journey toward hip replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

06 January 14 @dickinson
07 January 14 @jenb (bilateral), @Madowa
10 January 14 @avalina (revision & bone graft)
13 January 14 @Daooneill
14 January 14 @ARHip (revision)
15 January 14 @Doyley
16 January 14 @summertime
20 January 14 @Everyday344041
21 January 14 @Freaky freak (bilateral), @txearlybird
22 January 14 @Karisa7174, @Kasey2009, @nettie
27 January 14 @hoogy (his second), @Photodestiny, @FedInstructor (his second)
28 January 14 @DrToonz (bilateral), @shrinkette
29 January 14 @grandma chris
30 January 14 @jebrig3164 (her first), @Megan33
31 January 14 @kerri
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my name is Roberta. I am 41 yrs old and I go in for pre-op in Jan 30 and right hip surgery on Jan 31 at Hughston clinic in Columbus, Ga. I would love it if anyone could tell me what is done in the pre-op appt.
 
My pre op was a barrage of health history and current health questions followed by instructions on where to be and when. A blood type test was part off it.
I then asked all my saved-up questions (I was previously tools that this would be the appointment where my questions would be answered) only to have 80% of them unanswered. I was told that I would find out THOSE answers when I came in for surgery.
So much for alleviating any concerns based on "unknowns".
Bonesmart has been MUCH more informative. All questions HERE.
I UNDERSTAND that its my fault for not calling the surgeons office and asking but I WAS, after all, told that the PreOp appt was where I would get answers.
Well...just 2 days out. At this point I just want it behind me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Welcome @pchez01, I didn't exactly have a pre op appointment as my surgery was scheduled so quickly. But my surgeon was fantastic and answered all my questions.

I suggest you start your own thread. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this:

Starting a new thread and posting

I'm also going to leave you with some reading out of the Library that specifically deals with hip recovery. However, browse through the library index, there are lots of informative articles to read.

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Also, The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Once again welcome :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom