Guest viewing is limited

2012 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am so happy to have found this community. I am 39 years old and after 9 surgeries on my right knee over the last 23 years I am scheduled for my first TKR (right knee) on 10/23. In fact, I am headed for my pre-op appointment in a couple of hours. It was a long twisty road to get to this this point, however I am confident in my decision to move towards a better, more active, more quality way of living. Now just anticipating the road ahead. I know this isn't my cure-all, however I hope that this procedure will accomplish the goals I have set forth, otherwise what's left after TKA? All the posts are inspiring and I hope to stay very motivated through my recovery and rehab. My three year old will also help with that too...she is part of the reason I have decided it is time.
Thank you in advance for all your stories and encouragement.
:) Catherine
 
I have not posted lately - still having my LTKR this Tuesday. I have been trying to keep myself busy wrapping things up at work (I am taking Monday the 15th off so tomorrow is my lat day :)) and trying to get myself and my family organized for when I am in the hospital. I guess I am just trying to keep my mind off the actual surgery. I am sure that others will tell me that it is normal to be nervous. I walked around for so long saying I am really not in much pain, however, I have realized how much I have limited myself more and more to avoid the pain. I am looking forward to hopefully, living a better quality of life where I am not worrying about turning a certain way and being in pain for a week or two afterward. Best of luck to everyone scheduled for this surgery and thanks so much to all of you wonderful people who frequent this bonesmart site for your kind advice and support. I hope to have great things to report in the post op message boards! :flwrysmile: Karen
I wanted to wish you the best, Karen, for your surgery this week. I can imagine you are anticipating that! But the excitement for things to come do far outweigh, right? It is amazing how much pain becomes a part of life that it becomes minimized - a good way for coping through it, but enough is enough. At least that's what I have come to realize.

I also wanted to share a connection (or a bit of one). Though I have lived in OR the last 12 years, I am originally from Rochester, NY. I have family in Williamsville and we travel back at least once/year. I will check back to see how things went. You can get through this...nice to have family to keep things in perspective and your sould lifted. Hoping the best!
 
Merrykaye, good luck to you. I was very nervous and thought I did not need the surgery. I had mine on 10-2-12 ltkr and I'm doing fine not great but fine. Every day is a new day and I'm getting my strength back little by little. I'm glad I found this site it has helped me tremendously. If you have not made your ice pack I reccomend that you do. They have helped me a lot! Take care have a good weekend and will see you soon on the recovery side!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2012 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?
​
It's time to get our team together and start the train headin' down the track for the month of October - The October Fall Feisties are ready to roll! ​
​
If you are having surgery in October, please post here and cheer each other on. We're looking for a great group of soon-to-be feisty knee recovery patients ready to move on with their lives. :dancy:​

Hello every1,
I am scheduled for LTKR on October 29th. I am 42 and have been walking bone on bone on my right knee for just about 4 years and almost 2 years on my left. This is the second specialist I have been to. The first one wanted to scope my knees...I asked myself, "What the heck does he want to scope? There is nothing there to scope." I'm just happy it's finally going to happen, and when the left heals, the other will get taken care of.
 
Hi, Mel....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad to hear you have your surgery scheduled and you're ready to go. How about starting a thread of your own in the pre-op section and tell us more about yourself. We love getting to know our members. Plus that is a great way to get responses specific to you and your situation.
 
MelLPN13, what a beautiful fall picture! Good luck with your surgery on Oct 29th , I had mine on Oct 2 and I'm very happy that I did. Listen to the good folks in here they are all very helpful when on the recovery side. I still need my right knee done and I will once I'm fully recovered with the Left. I have the utmost respect for the ones in here that had both done at the same time, I wanted to have it done but my doctor was not willing and now I can honestly say that I didn't either. I'm having some blood pressure issues right now and I don't know how I would of done if I had both knees to worry about. Here I go again rambling. Good luck! Just love your fall picture!
 
Thank you redbird and Jamie for those kind words. Tomorrow, when I get the PC back from my 12 year old daughter, I will start my own thread. Sorry to tell you this redbird, but that picture isn't mine, I quoted the sign up page. I'm still trying to navigate around here. Yesterday was my first time here. In the meantime could you please add my name to the October surgery list? Thx bunches, Mel :) :kittykiss:
 
Hey Creeker & Merrykaye, I will be right behind you this week. I am excited & nervous and ready to get it done! I am tired of this knee ruling my life! Good Luck with your surgeries and I will see you on the other side sometime next week!:egypdance:
 
Good wishes and good heart to this weeks folks- Creeker, Merrykaye, ohmybones and clovergirl 59, anyone else? I wish you well on this great adventure!
 
Hello everyone, I am new here and have already had a TKR in June of this year. I had an epidural (spinal block ?) and was awake for the op. I am due again for the other knee to be replaced next week on 25th. Does anyone know if it will be alright for me to have another epidural since its only been 4 months since my first one ?
I am nervous, I did not like going through the recovery period and was hell to live with but going for the op was not as worrying for me as this one seems to be. Perhaps its because I know what to expect lol.
I dont want a GA and was ok with the epidural in June, the op took an hour only and I was in recover for an hour and the feeling came back in my lower body 2 hours after that so all in all I was numb for 4 hours.
Thank you.
 
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, I was just told today that I will be getting a spinal anesthetic for my LTKR next Wednesday. I've always had a general before and was wondering if anyone can tell me what I'll likely experience during the procedure. Will I hear what's going on?
 
Spinals are the usual thing to do now because they are much safer for all sorts of reasons but no way do patients stay awake during the procedure, they are sedated or given "twilight sleep". I had a spinal and after 50 odd years in the OR, I was NOT looking forward to it! But you know what, I was asleep before I went into the operating room and didn't wake up until I was in recovery. But what was even better - I was totally, totally pain free until early the next morning Shortly I am to have my other knee done and I won't worry a bit about having a spinal. So don't you either!
 
Thanks for the reassurance Josephine. For some reason, my only concern is that I would hear everything during the operation. I didn't really understand why a spinal would be better than a general.
 
If you want to make sure - and it's always a good idea to do so - mention to the anaesthest when s/he comes to see you that you want to be totally OUT for the duration of the surgery. It's not really any big deal to them one way or the other, they don't need notice to do it.
 
Spinals are the usual thing to do now because they are much safer for all sorts of reasons but no way do patients stay awake during the procedure, they are sedated or given "twilight sleep".

So, you can get a spinal and be put *out*? Darn...and I wanted to watch...lol! :heehee: This will be my first major surgery (LTKR). I have had several minor ones where I was just put out. Hmm
~Mel
 
Hi - I am brand new here. I was scheduled for total bilateral knees October 22; I am now reschuled for October 30th. Because of a couple of nurses doing things they normally don't (bless them), my surgery was stopped by my surgeon literally as I was in the OR about to get the epidural! The pre-op nurse had asked if I was allergic to any foods or medicines. I said no, but I am allergic to nickel. She said that didn't matter since the wristband was for post-op care. But several minutes later she came back and gave me the bright red allergy wristband anyway. Later the surgical nurse came in to introduce herself and we chatted. Then she was off to make sure the OR was ready. But she popped back in for a reason she could later not understand, to ask what I was allergic to. Then she was off. It was an inordinately long time later before the anethesiologists gave me something to relax and wheeled me to the OR. Just as they were about to switch me from the gurney to the surgical bed, my doctor came out and said to stop. He had had an unsatisfactory response from the manufacturer to efforts to ascertain the nickel content of the alloys in the knees he was about to use and was not willing to take the risk on me. Further, it would take too long to obtain a pair of nickel-free and get them sterilized, so I was sent packing. Whew!!

But for those two nurses feeling called to do something they normally don't (the latter said she had never questioned a surgeon on the prosthetic s/he was going to use, let alone ask a patient to what they were allergic), I would be in a world of hurt right now. My nickel allergy is literally on contact.

I hope the new intended knee Smith & Nephew Oxi? performs like the intended knee Stryker GetAround, as I want maximum flexibility.
 
Hi - I am brand new here. ...... I hope the new intended knee Smith & Nephew Oxi? performs like the intended knee Stryker GetAround, as I want maximum flexibility.
Hi NightQuilter, welcome to the forum.

All the best to you with your upcoming surgery!
Please do go ahead and start a post op thread and introduce yourself to everyone!

I too have nickel allergies. I had the LTT (Lymphocyte Transformation Test) blood test several months prior to surgery and it was determined I had allergies to several metals. Short story - I have a S&N Journey deep flexion knee and so far it's been perfect and rock solid. My problem has been lately with the tightness of the IT band and hamstring.Too many years of limping shortens the IT band and hamstring.

S&N is comprised of zirconium and nil amount of nickel. Depending upon which S&N knee your OS uses, advertised flexion maximum is the usual 125 degrees as is common with most of the knees, to more than 125 degrees as with the deep flexion S&N Journey.

Again, all the best to you and I look forward to reading about your post op experiences!
 
I am so glad your surgery was stopped as I also have a nickle, as well as cobalt, allergy. My surgeon had me tested when I was insistent about my metal allergy and the use of surgical staples... The results confirmed I am allergic to nickle and cobalt I have a nice new titanium knee and my surgeon used steri strips with the ourer closing as I have had a couple negative results with the staples... Good luck! It should all go well!
 
Thank you 1Elisea and Creeker 13. It is great to hear about your experiences. When I had my hips replaced 9 years ago, my surgeon and I had a long conversation about the allergy; it was not an issue because of the titanium barrier around the carbon chrome alloy components which, apparently, do not exist with the knees. I am not clear about which S&N knee he is using but am disappointed about the limited degree of flex in the S&N; I currently can sit on my heels and hoped for more than 120 degrees because I need that when I am pinning my quilts together on the floor. sigh. But at least they realized in time the problem with the nickel! Thank you for the advice and kind words.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom