2012 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome cr8it. I responded to your note in your other post. You might like to start your own thread and include these details. People will be along to say "hi!".
Again, welcome!
 
Guess this is where I check in..... my date is October 16... I am still waiting for my pre-op appointment at the hospital. The pre-op will be all in one day because I have to travel to North Vancouver, B. C. (ferry trip) for it and the surgery... the downside of rural living.
Ooop..... Hospital just called... pre-op is Oct. 9th. Guess I am on my way!
Oh... I am having a tkr, right knee.
 
I see I am on the list - thank you Jamie! I am still on board for a 10/16 left knee replacement. Best of luck to all!!!

Thank 1ELISEA.....she is so good about putting those lists together so that everyone can keep track of all the surgeries!!
 
Hello to all October Feisties!

Welcome to the ones who have never had a knee replacement, and hello again to the ones going for seconds! :happydance:

After recovery, you will be on a new path! Doing things you thought you would never do again, and getting out and just enjoying life in general! It is wonderful to be able to walk without the bone on bone pain that I had prior to surgery! Life has taken me through many twists and turns, but God has been with me every step of the way! I will be praying for each of you and hoping that your surgery brings you relief, and joy! :happydance: It takes a little while to get to the road of happiness, but it is so worth it! :yahoo:
 
I am 48 and was recommended to have total knee replacement - left knee that is scheduled for October 22nd. I have severe osteoarthritis and a severely torn meniscus that I tore while bowling my first week of league on September 4th. Prior to tearing my meniscus I was walking regularly 4 miles a day. After the tear I was given a steroid injection and diagnosed via X-ray and MRI. I have some discomfort and can no longer bowl or walk 4 miles and was recommended for TKR.
 
I am 48 and was recommended to have total knee replacement - left knee that is scheduled for October 22nd. I have severe osteoarthritis and a severely torn meniscus that I tore while bowling my first week of league on September 4th. Prior to tearing my meniscus I was walking regularly 4 miles a day. After the tear I was given a steroid injection and diagnosed via X-ray and MRI. I have some discomfort and can no longer bowl or walk 4 miles and was recommended for TKR.
Well hello, and welcome to BoneSmart!

You have come to the right place because you have become a member of our family now, and we look out for each other. Some of us have been down this road a few times, some 2 times having 1 knee replaced at a time and then there are the brave souls in my humble opinion, who choose to do two at once. I didn't have that option, but I appreciated having 8 1/2 weeks in between to recuperate also! :happydance:

Good luck to you on your journey and I will be watching for updates!
 
I'm scheduled for bilateral knee replacement October 9. No joke, I am scared. I know it will be fine, but still...I can't help but worry. I've been through all the pre-surgery testing (very rigerous since I had a heart attack 6 years ago), and I've passed all the tests so I"m good to go. I've chosen a spinal with light sleep. They say I will be wide awake immediately after the surgery, but will still be numb and not have pain right away. I'm very glad I found this message board, and I will keep up with it all through rehab. Prayers to all who are having surgery, and to all the care givers!
 
Hello Snookytee! Being scared is normal! You know, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they were glad they were getting surgery! They were excited because surgery would eventually bring relief. What we know though is the relief after recovery and the many things that you can do again, when you thought they were off your "bucket list" for good! :happydance:
 
I have RTKR on Oct 16th and LTKR on Oct 19th. Really glad I am getting it done but not looking forward to recovery. Mainly the loss of control and independence. I've been weight training for a couple of years and my trainer has been really working to strenghthen my hips so that I can bounce back quickly. Doctor and Physical Therapist are both very positive. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before surgery. Trying to stay positive by focusing on the fact that I should be able to ride a bike by spring and maybe do some hiking next summer/fall.
 
Hi-I havent been here in a while. I had my left total hip repl. done this past 4/03 and am now scheduled for my total ri knee repl. on 10/18. I keep hearing how hip repl is almost pain free compared to the agony of a knee repl. and am getting terrified to have it done now.. the hip surgery pain was nowhere near what i had been having and was pleasantly surprised after the surgery-im not sayin zero pain just much much less. I was miserable when i had surgery to put a plate in my wrist last fall and the nerve block totally did not work-which is what the plan for pain is for my knee, besides drugs. my OS says i will be just fine-if i can walk on the knee as bad it is now, i can do it. then my pre surgery blood stuff is showing the MRSA is now in my nose where i didnt have it before-that stuff is having me worried also. i guess i should be happy they at least know about it ahead of time and can prepare. i am at least prepared in that i already have all the household stuff from the hip surgery and kind of know what to expect in that regard once i get out of the nursing home and relearn stairs-again...im just giving myself the creeps :gaah::shocked: im just sooo tired of pain....kathy
 
Well I got an interesting phone call when I was driving to the hospital for pre-admission testing. Seems my insurance has decided they know more about what is medically necessary than I do and my surgeon. They have denied my surgery.
To top it off, when I called them to find out why, they said they generated a letter explaining the decision and I had to wait to receive the letter to find out.
That statement should let you know that I'm dealing with a government insurance (tricare). I asked them is it policy or law that they can't tell me and they said policy. I said let me talk to someone who can waive policy. Finally got them to fax the letter, still waiting. Believe they may have said that just to get me off the phone. Their bad luck because if I don't get the fax I'll be calling again.
 
Hello all! I had knee replacement surgery on 10/1/12 and I'm rolling down the track of re-hab! I've been blogging about my experiences. Feel free to check out https://tbedb.blogspot.com.
Good Luck to all getting new knees!!
 
Hey DebieMC, I had my surgery on 10-2-12 LTKR. I think I'm doing fine, walk, heel pumps, heel slides, and walk and Ice and Ice, and more Ice. I will check your blog. Welcome and Hi!
 
Hi Redbird! If LTKR means Left Total Knee Replacement then I had the exact same surgery! It sounds like recovery is going great for you. Keep up the good work!!
 
Thanks DebieMc. Sounds like things are going good for you too, Really already on a cane. Unfortunately I am not. Still using the walker. I'll will do whatever they tell me to do! I want things to go smoothly! Keep up the good work!:cheers:
 
My left knee is being replaced Friday, 10/12/12. I've known for 20 years that I would need this eventually, and have been trying to convince my Dr. to do it sooner rather than later. Have gone through cortisone, synvisk, unloading brace and now the time is here. Having watched an online video of the procedure (you call that MINIMALLY invasive ?) I'm now wondering if I shouldn't have waited longer. No going back now.
 
Kendall, I had all the same things you had, the brace too! I was scared, nervous but now I can say I'm glad to have had it done. Just do what everyone in here suggest. The ice packs that I made myself from a recipe in here have been a God send. Make sure they are in the freezer before Friday, you will be glad you did! :egypdance:Good luck to you, you will be great! See you of post-op side!
 
My preop is done.... next tuesday the 16th of October is the day.... so much to get done ....
I am so glad I did my research and read what was provided to me .... took one all day set of appointments instead of many different ones to save time and ferry trips. Tuesday was a very long tiring day, but all is now ready.
The long physio seminar for hip and knee people took longer than it should have been.... I hope some of these people have a bit of time to prepare as it was apparent that they had not read the information sent to them or they were so focused on their questions that they did not hear the therapist giving them that exact info before they asked.:rolleyes: Two people seemed more focused on OMG....:shocked: NO nailpolish!!!!! And what do you mean the hospital doesn't provide wifi!....:shocked:
 
Good Luck Creeker! I'll be waiting for you to post on the other side. I know all will go well and will be waiting to hear from you once again! Take care!:)
 
I have not posted lately - still having my LTKR this Tuesday. I have been trying to keep myself busy wrapping things up at work (I am taking Monday the 15th off so tomorrow is my lat day :)) and trying to get myself and my family organized for when I am in the hospital. I guess I am just trying to keep my mind off the actual surgery. I am sure that others will tell me that it is normal to be nervous. I walked around for so long saying I am really not in much pain, however, I have realized how much I have limited myself more and more to avoid the pain. I am looking forward to hopefully, living a better quality of life where I am not worrying about turning a certain way and being in pain for a week or two afterward. Best of luck to everyone scheduled for this surgery and thanks so much to all of you wonderful people who frequent this bonesmart site for your kind advice and support. I hope to have great things to report in the post op message boards! :flwrysmile: Karen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom