@dianehelen
Yes, life is not what I expected at this point. My op leg HAS gotten stronger so that I can step up on curbs/steps quite nicely, which was a problem until I got those muscles back. I would be able to walk longer distances (although I never walked for pleasure because something always hurt!) if not for the OTHER hip which is somewhat painful down the front of my thigh.
Publix? I live near Ft. Lauderdale, so Publix is The Supermarket!! (OK, and Whole Foods). Actually, I've only been supermarket-shopping once, since hubby does it all. He's retired & does whatever he can to make life easier. I do go to drugstores, restaurants, movies, doctors' offices, have a theatre subscription, & get my nails & hair done, but am happier with smaller stores in general if at all. I never was a shopper for the pure pleasure of it, but thank God for online! I barely cook, so we eat out or do 'take-out' most of the time. Yesterday I made a meatloaf & roasted potatoes, so it was a big event! Hubby just enjoyed a sandwich from the leftovers! We need a few things in Costco... haven't been in ages & am not sure I can 'do' it. I can always ride a scooter-thing, but don't want to regress. I'll just try to walk as much as I can & then sit on my walker -- Oh joy! I have cleaning help, so THAT's not an issue. I'm not much of a TV watcher mostly due to hearing issues (hearing aids are not perfect, unfortunately), but am a voracious reader & that's how I spend a good bit of time. My iPad is loaded with books, and presto: escape! Aside from this d*mn foot (which, btw, limits my footware to either sneakers or rubber-soled slip-ons -- SOOOO attractive) & my other hip, I'm fine. Just frustrated as hell, as I'm sure you are, & tired of the ongoing necessity to plan activities in one way or another (how far do I have to walk, are there steps involved, can I get into someone else's vehicle, etc.). Fortunately, I've been driving for many months, so that's a good thing... even when hubby's with me.
So, is life great now? No, but it could be an awful lot worse. I am very fortunate in some ways. Oh, & I see a therapist, too! Very helpful, & a good outlet. I think my New Years resolution is to find some sort of volunteer work that is meaningful to me & physically doable. I need to have a little bit of structure, time away from DH before we kill each other, & some new faces/experiences. That's my intention, anyway. I want to find some peace or satisfaction or pleasure or something while I've still got all my marbles, if not my mobility. And I want to laugh again... It feels like I haven't in a long time. Guess this was more than you bargained for, but once I got started... Well, you know. Write back, tell me anything, take care of yourself, and -- my mantra -- try to keep things in perspective. Happy New Year, kiddo.