THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh quick question, is this piriformis, related to the hip replacement? Or just a mean coincidence to happen on the same side

I don't know the medical answer to that question but for me I do find it related to the hip joint and the way I am moving. I have had piriformis before and after hip replacement and in each butt!
 
I did three things for my piriformis - each in increasing effectiveness!
1. I took Tramadol and paracetamol 3/4 times a day
2. I used to sit on large ice packs
3. I went to see my chiropractor!

Number 3 actually resolved the situation.
 
Huh ok I'll have to try sitting on ice pks. I'm taking 800 mg ibu and 50mg tramadol for knee pain, as needed, I'm taking it now for this.Its just so odd how painful it is, but how if I get up slow, and get moving at the right angle/gait im sorta ok.

If I go to a chiropractor, do I tell him to treat me for this piriformis?
 
@dianehelen I just read about your "butt pain" and if massage doesn't work you might want to try acupuncture or dry needling. You would have to find a physio who does it. I have had great success with dry needling which is acupuncture with an electrical stimulation which immediately relaxes the muscles that are spasming. They could also give you a proper diagnosis. I feel for you! Its not fun!
 
No, not fun at all. Just when I was finally feeling a tad more mobile. I did swim today, that doesn't seem to bother it, and sitting in the hot tub after I did my mile, felt good with the hot water jet pounding on that pain area. Its really depressing me. I think I would need to see my surgeon for a referral for physical therapy. I may also think about a chiropractor. Ughh ughh ughhh
 
I think swimming is probably fine, as long as it's not uncomfortable while you are doing it or immediately afterwards.

If the stretches are hard for you because you are stiff, they might work better after the hot tub. Some of those stretches are just awkward though, aren't they? I don't know what to say about that. I do know someone who benefited a lot from acupuncture.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Ok this is not getting any better, maybe even a bit worse, so very depressing. My question today is, do I go see my ortho surgeon first, or go directly to a chiropractor? I've tried a bit of stretching, can't really do much. @Josephine , I've Tried sitting on ice packs, no real difference. I've tried ibu and tramadol, not much relief. Its just so odd that as sharp and stabbing a pain it is, if I get myself standing at a certain angle I can walk without pain. But when I move a certain way that hits that area, it's such a sharp pain, it almost knocks me off my feet. Now it even kinda throbs when I sit down. After sitting a while it settles down, until the next time I have to stand/walk.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sending warm thoughts and good wishes that today is a little brighter for you.our journeys will all be a little different. I had the posterior too. Try not to let the pain get ahead of you. I had a rough night last night and I am six days out. Reading others advice and good thoughts helps to know we are not alone. :catbutterfly::happyfeet:
 
Ok I made 2 appts. Next Thursday, was the first available with my ortho. But I called a chiropractor who I had seen 15 years ago, and the office person was just incredibly nice. I am still in their system, amazingly. She said I could come in today for a free consult and he would be able to honestly let me know if he can help me. So in an hour I'll go have a lil chat.
 
Ok so just back from chiropractors. Boy, he is just so nice. He seems to think it is piriformis and sciatic related. He did a few stretch contortions on me, and some table manipulation, and 15 mins on the roller table. The oddest (in a good way) was right after the contortion stretches he did on me, I was able to stand up and walk with less pain than I've had all week with this. I walked out of the office pretty comfortable and will see him again Monday. I told him of my hip saga and he said he would not upset my hip, but if I felt at ease, to keep the appt with the ortho next week just for my own peace of mind. So we shall see how this next adventure goes. But I was just so amazed at just how nice, informative, and honest he was.
 
What a nice change @dianehelen!
So glad your chiro managed to help! I've been seeing one for my back for years & go for 'MOT' to keep everything in place. So glad you've got some relief at last....take care....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry, an English term for a general maintenance programme @dianehelen
So every 6 months/year you get a thorough 'going over' to keep everything working properly!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
MOT is Ministry of Transport test on cars, medicos have used term to the test on us. Hence im a clapped out old banger of a car,

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Huh how interesting. Same language, both sides of pond, but somtimes a translator is needed. Thanks for the translation and explanation.
 
Hey most people dont understand me full stop.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom