THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont meet the guidelines for hyperbaric. Which means my insurance would not cover it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody. I'm trying to be happy about the infection news, and in my brain I am. But until this wound is better, I'd even settle for less problematic, I'm still just feeling so tortured and limited in my life. I have a brunch tomorrow with my 20 or so local breast cancer survivor group, which I usually love to be with. But all I can think about is how I'm gonna sit in the restaurant for 2+ hours, and how wet will my butt be. *sigh*

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
I've been a bit awol so let me give a bit of an update. I just needed a some time to regroup my brain.

Two Mondays ago was my first painful vac dressing change of the week, using the new foam, in the one deep tunnel in my disgusting wound, that the head of the vac company was pretty sure was the cause of the drainage not able to be contained and drawn up by the vac. They have very specific instructions how to use this foam, but when my nurse first used it the previous Friday, she sorta winged it, and of course by the time I got home from brunch Saturday, I was wet. I patched and taped all weekend, it was useless.

So Monday with specific instruction, I tried to be hopeful. Well 2 hours after she left I was sopping wet. At that point I just went into total, and uncontrollable meltdown mode. I think I really scared my poor husband. He was close to calling 911 . He called the nurse, she came back Tuesday, redid it, trying yet another suggested technique. That lasted also barely 2 hours. I was sitting and crying non stop all day. I got a callback from the district nurse wound director at KCI (vac company), she scheduled an onsite visit with me and my nurse for Wednesday. She came, her and my nurse, spent TWO hours working on me, adding a border of stoma strip paste totally around the wound edge, as well as bridging the tracking pad tube. She said, this will work, she had had many very tough wound cases, and has been doing this for 20 years. I was exhausted from being worked on for 2 hours by 2 nurses. I took a Percocet and sat down, tried to relax.

Well ONE FLIPPING hour later, I'm flipping wet. My skin is just destroyed from this tape and sitting in this drainage. I called this nice nurse/expert and told her, she was just flabergasted! Almost could not believe it. So now I've had 3 painful changes in 3 days. I'm raw, and sore, and really ready to kill myself. Thursday I went to the wound doctor, sat in the room with the nurse there, just bawling, and trying to talk. Everything she asked, have you tried this, or that I said yes, yes, and yes. She talked to the doctor, and they both came back in the room both caring, but frustrated.

He says the way this size wound should heal is with the vac, but sees the futility, at least for now, that if the dressing can't seal, and I'm fighting skin issues as well as the wound, its counter productive. So, he gave me a one week vac-cation. They did a dressing with a calcium alginate gel like thing in the wound, covered with "abd" pads, then taped with a cloth tape. They are not sure if this will hold either. I came home, and the tape was already loosening. I reinforced with duoderm, and more of the cloth tape. It is still dry for now, 6 hours later, which is about the longest I've stayed dry all week.

Sorry if this is all "tmi", and sorry I have not been a good supportive member here but those few days, it was too hard to be going thru 2 boxes of tissues, crying hysterically, and hold the tablet and type. I'm somewhat stable, at the moment, I enjoyed my week of freedom from that miserable vac.

My nurse came Saturday to redo this non vac dressing. She came again this past Monday, we spent a few days at the beach house, then Thursday, back to the wound Dr. I told the nurse how much less miserable I was without that evil soul and spirit killing machine. She said the wound did improve, even without the vac. The Dr came in and agreed, but said there were a few small areas of hypergranulation, that he needed to burn off with silver nitrate sticks. They used lidocaine, and I did not feel pain till later in the day. BUT, knowing my horror with the vac, he now is keeping it off, as long as I see him once a week, and it continues to improve. So for now, no more vac! I had it on close to 4 months. He thinks this wound still had months to go, :-(, but for now, I'm vac free.

The actual hip feels ok, not perfect, and now my knees are bothering me, as I start moving more, but ibuprofen seems to help. It's just such a long long road to recovery that I never thought would rob me of so many months of my life, and pretty much my whole summer of swimming. I try to be positive, but it's not easy. So that's what I've been up to lately.
 
You really have had a tough go of it, but it seems there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I wish for you continued healing, strength and peace
 
Wow Diane, you have endured so much......
Good to hear you are off the vac machine. I hope you get continued good healing on the wound, and
can visit your beach home again soon! Hugs
 
I was thinking about you this week, Diane - concerned because you hadn't posted lately. I hope that having that vac off will not only help the wound heal, but also help your peace of mind. How distressing for you to go through all this! I know you have "lost" a good part of your life this year. As someone who has dealt with a life-altering chronic illness, all I can say is that is sometimes helps to narrow your focus to those things that you CAN do and enjoy - even if it is only as simple sitting with a good cup of coffee listening to the songbirds outside your window. Some days, that is all we have. Your friends here are concerned about you, and I hope that helps to know. You can cry on our shoulders any time! Love and best wishes to you.
 
Thank you PaGal, that really means alot to me. I'd love to read your story, where can I find it.

Thank you to everyone else too. I did go out today and did a small grocery shopping. It was tiring but felt good to get out.
 
Dianehelen....you are the member who needs support. The rest of us are here to support you. You've been on a long tortuous journey that isn't over yet, so you don't need to worry about being "good." You just need to stay strong enough to get through this, and if letting us know what is going on helps you stay strong (and I believe it does) then that is what being a member of Bonesmart is all about. You grab the positives wherever you can, and knowing people care about what happens to you is a positive.

Sharon
 
Hi, Diane. So very sorry to hear about your struggles. I, too, have been wondering about you & was just about to write. So glad you're off the evil vac... Hope it lasts & that you continue to move along. Giving up a chunk of your life is not easy... Trust me, I know. Keep hanging on. Enjoying what we CAN is good advice.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So glad that you got some time without the vac....Dianehelen. Do hope with that and some downtime in your beach home you can get some much needed relief from your struggle. Hoping that this better news continues for you and you can start to move forward in your recovery....thinking of you.......Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks so much for all your kind words of support. It really means so much to me. @shrinkette how are you doing? Are you walking any better, numb feet improving yet?
 
@dianehelen , don't you worry a bit about not posting. You certainly have lots going on. Save your energy for all that healing that's going on. We're here for you anytime!
 
Diane, having a sister that had major surgery and has a terrible time with pain meds (she gets very nauseated), I understand your dilemma, but I agree with many posts that you should not be off meds yet!!!

Try try try different types of meds until you find something (or a combination, like and extended release med with a breakthrough med you use as needed) that works for you!!!! I had to take and anti nausea meds as well (zofran) but just occasionally, I tolerate pain meds fairly well. You can control the constipation too, be vigilant taking colace (I took a lot) and Metamucil (I took sometimes twice a day) and eating fiber rich things (ground flaxseed as well as chia seeds can be added to a smoothie or juice or cereal!). Work closely with your OS and don't give up. Be mindful, once you pain is out of control it will take overdoing it on the meds to get it back in control. But being pain controlled is key to a good recovery, both physically and mentally!!! Stay on top of it!! I'm in process of weaning down on the meds, which then causes the dilemma: am I doing too much or taking too little ??? LOL.
 
@54andfighting not sure what you are referring to about meds. I am almost 5months post THR and when needed I still do take a Percocet or 2. My main issue lately had beed the terrible problems I had with the wound vac, and the tape, and leaking issues. The painful dressing changes from that were impervious to pain meds as they had to tear chunks of foam out of an exudating and deep wound. I really have NO problem with taking whatever drugs I can to help pain. Also the constipation was an issue only after surgery and have not had any issues with that for months. Maybe you were reading and replying to my very first original post, that seems like a lifetime ago to me now.
 
Oh dear maybe I was looking at a very old post!? So sorry. Just looked. That was it. Duh'!! Newbie here.

Ok, a wound vac. that's a different can or worms for sure. I was in the home health biz a while back and have had patients with them. I so feel for you!!!! Hang in there !!!!
 
:-) no problem. Ya the soul and spirit killing vac was on me for almost 4 lousy months. It's off, for now, hopefully for good. I know sometime the way this forum works only letting us have one thread to follow our recovery, can be confusing and tedious to read all the way thru as things change and really turn into other issues for those of us who do not have a straightforward recovery. It can be alot to read to be up to date on some of the longer problematic recovery journeys.
 
So true! And I hope you are done FOR GOOD with the wound vac. Misery, I can tell, you have been thru it. Sometimes they work like a charm and sometimes folks have issues just as you have. It's very hard to go thru. Better days ahead!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom