THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy @shrinkette you sure have been thru a rough ride with this too. Do you ever find yourself feeling a bit envious of those who seem to sail thru this. I know I do.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Hi, @dianehelen ... I'm about a year out and not here much. I have read your story and appreciate how you've told about it all, which must have been hard when you had so many aggravations and pain that would try the patience of a saint. I am really pulling for you and will celebrate with you in spirit the day you can put all this behind you (and get rid of that hateful vac). Thank you for telling it like it is and sharing the journey. It is just rotten luck that some have had the horrible curve balls and setbacks and good luck that some have not. Your husband sounds lovely and I am so glad you have him to help you through this. Take care.
 
@dianehelen
Boy @shrinkette
Do you ever find yourself feeling a bit envious of those who seem to sail thru this. I know I do.

Absolutely, although I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it & don't wish anything less for those who make conventional, if not stellar, recoveries. But certainly the words, "This was not supposed to happen" have run through my mind & out of my mouth... I wanted -- no, assumed -- I would be one if those who recovered in my 70-year-old, out-of-shape way within some sort of 'normal' parameters, & be on my way to a life I had been missing. Didn't happen, but may yet with lots more time, PT, & patience. In the meantime, I continue to be very grateful for a pain-free hip & a good night's sleep. I'd like to be able to put my own left shoe on; to wear footwear other than sneakers, and most of all to gain my confidence in walking alone albeit with a cane. While hubby deserves medals for his care of me, it's 'enough already' for both of us. We need some space from each other, & I need the independence. So, yes, I'm envious. Not proud of it, but it is what it is. Thanks for listening.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dianehelen I'm sorry to find you still struggling with the evil wound vac!!! I think if it would just seal properly it would be so much easier for you.

Once in hospital had to have the IV on my arm right near the elbow. Every time I ate or drank or wrote it blocked the fluids....and the beeping and so forth drove me to tears as nothing else had. I had bad dreams about ripping the IV from my arm and throwing it at the nurses and kicking the stand into the hall. Imagine what I'd do to that pump.????

When you are unwell, tired and in pain it can be those tiny noises that send you to the brink.

Thinking of you often and sending healing thoughts your way.

@shrinkette I truly believe I know how you feel...your husband too....I really hope that you can get onto a cane and wear something other than runners soon. I seemed to have turned a corner and would love to hear the same for you and Diane too.

I think of you both often

Xxx
 
Thanks Sally @Vetgirl. While my husband had been an absolute gem thru all this,, he doesn't really get why and how this vac drives me to tears daily. I'm afraid to move, and I should be moving more but the more I move the more the tape moves, and loses seal. It's a conundrum with no answers from anyone. It seems like this is just running my life.

I am so very glad that you are finally seeing some good progress. You sure have been to hell and back.
 
@Vetgirl
Sally, I know you know, & thanks. You so deserve to be in a better place by now & I'm really happy you are. Here's to continued corner-turning. And

@dianehelen
I definitely 'get' how limiting the vac is... How scared you are to move too much or in such a way that it gets set off again. It makes you guarded & wary, not to mention anxious, I bet. Husbands sometimes seem to exhibit little imagination despite their desire to "fix" or help us. No matter how clearly we say we're scared, mine, anyway, will often try to tell me why I shouldn't be instead of just listening or saying he understands. Maybe in his own way he's scared himself, & this is how he copes. Oh well, vive le diférence, I guess. Maybe they ARE from Mars.
 
That's a really valid point @shrinkette . I think they are more scared that they let on or vocalise. My hubby was pretty stressed and cranky the whole time I had the spacer in and to see the relief he had when the hip went back in and I seemed so much better was enlightening. I actually said to him, that he seemed 'lighter' and more 'bouncy' and he said that he was just so worried for me and relieved to see a little bit of the old me back.

I just posted another novel on my thread....and I meant to add that sometimes it the emotions and turmoils rather than the pain itself that make this journey tougher at times.

You will get there.....you have to....I insist!!!!
 
I think it must be like Chinese water torture, having that thing buzzing away all the time and your can't get away from it. Horrendous. I get really enraged when there's a constant noise around my home - even one of those buzzy flies. So I cannot imagine what you must be going through.
 
YESSS! @Josephine ! I TOO am very sensitive to noises, even in restaurants or public places, loud constant talkers or crying babies makes Me bonkers. So with this machine, add to it the threat of the noise being a precursor of a leak fail, making me even more aware of every little change in sound. It's been almost 3 months and probably another 3 to go. It's really just taken over my life. Today is the last of my 6week, 42 day, 126 self administered IV Abx, and I see infection specialist Thursday. Sure hope I'm at least done with that. I see surgeon today, let's see what he has to say. Then come home to another torture session of painful dressing change. I so want my life back already.
 
I'm just back from infectious disease dr. Blood work all in normal ranges! Hip aspiration culture studies considered closed, following 8 consecutive weeks of negative for any known infectious. Wound infection, after 6 weeks iv ABX considered now gone. Just as backup, he put me on 2 weeks 4x/day Keflex. At the end of the visit, he said I was officially released from his care. I thanked him, said goodbye, hope I never see you again. ;-). He laughed and said I get that alot. Now if I could only see some end in sight with this [language! :no-fin:] vac deal, I would almost be a happy person. I'm still limping and not really walking normally, but every dr keeps telling me it takes time. That's my news of the day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh..good news at last...so pleased...now to the vac!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ya"that", still a problem, still can't get it so it doesn't leak within hours of a dressing change,, still making my life a living hell

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Bloody nightmare for you xxxxxx
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@dianehelen, I have been reading your story from beginning to end over the past few days. So sorry to hear of all your troubles! Good news from your IS, but that wound vac is still a thorn in your side. I was wondering if hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy was ever considered for your wound healing? I would think in Florida, with both a diving (treats the "bends") and a diabetic (slow wound healing) population, there may be facilities available in your area.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom