THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dieter @Vetgirl had to smile at your cross conv. Dieter was making a joking reference to my comment about my Dr Husband. She says: I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv, which is what I believed prompted Vet girl to ask Dieter : What do you do. Now ME being old, and living in the US, immediately "got" the humor reference from an old tv commercial from the 70's in the US, which I'm guessing Vetgirl, being so young and in OZ, had no knowledge of, thinking that maybe Dieter was on TV show, and asked what she (Dieter) did, not realising the reference was from an old USA TV commercial.
 
@Josephine I am more of a "gentelman farmer" with usually 20-30 head at a time it is very much a hobby that has short bursts of intense activity followed by keeping an eye on them till the next burst! @Plumberbutt knows what I mean ;)
 
Question, @Josephine . So I'm really suffering cabin fever on top of all the other pain and suffering I'm dealing with. I'm thinking of attempting going out to dinner tonight in a place that knows us well and think they may be able to accommodate me by letting us order ahead and have our food ready to serve us when we arrive, so I can minimize the length of sitting I need to do in pain. Question is about this vac. I find it annoying for me, but feel it would be disgusting to others. The vac provider says it's safe to turn off, (and I could disconnect the unit, and hide the other side of the tube in my clothing) for up to 2 hours. The vac support person says those are the guidelines but they cannot say I should or should not do that. Any thoughts our options?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
A small milesone today. After another meltdown last night, about this whole deal, the pain, the being tied to this damn machine, and just feeling like a prisoner in my own home. Since March 2nd, the only times I have left the house is to or from doctors or hospitals. We actually went OUT to dinner. I called our favorite Italian restaurant, that we have been going to for 25 years and spoke to the owner who knew about my hip surgery, but not the infection surgery. I can't really sit at a table for very long, still too painful. I explained this to her, and angel that she is, let us order ahead and have our food ready when we arrived, so I could have the least amount of sitting time as possible. It was a bit of a struggle, but we did it. I did turn off and disconnect the vac, for the 30 mins we were in there, hopefully that wont hurt anything. Dinner was very good, I brought home half. It was not easy, but did feel good being out and imitating a human being. yay for small milestones
 
Glad you got out for dinner! Sounds like a good milestone that you enjoyed.
 
Hi @dianehelen well done. It's great when you can start thinking of ways to make yourself feel better. I'm sure having a shower started that process!!!!

I too find sitting out quite hard and tiring for too long. Hubby had the bright idea of brining the wheelchair we hired into the house we were at yesterday. Fantastic. The soft back on it was comfy. I have a cushion to sit on and the foot rests provide awesome support to my leg.

I try to get out every 3 rd day. It makes me feel human

Keep up the good work
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I never got to answer your question, Diane. Of course it would be okay. The nurse just said that to cover herself in case! I, on the other hand, have no such qualms! If it says that on the label, then I'd take it as read to be able to do that. Glad you had a good time!
 
Hi DianeHelen, glad to hear you managed to get out for dinner and well done you for organising it so you could manage. Hope you can do it again! I can only imagine how hard all this is for you- you deserve lots of treats for keeping up the good work. Hope your pain gets easier,
Gill


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So, I think I'm starting to lose faith in this home health care wound nurse. I posted about Friday's crisis with the vac making noise then erroring a leak alert, then shutting off. After several frantic calls, my husband was able to use some of the drape tape from another wound kit, and get a perfect seal. Machine was quiet as can be all weekend. So nurse comes today and I remind her of the Friday fiasco and to make sure to seal it properly. She did her thing, left, now the damn thing is making noise again, driving me insane. Gonna have my husband take a look at it again. Ughh. At what point do I ask for a diff nurse. I really felt she was competent, but starting to lose that feeling.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Boy, @Josephine you don't mince words, do ya? I probably should. There are other little things that bother me about her, but the fear of change, seems to stop me. But I may have to get over that, for my own sanity. Husband retaped today, but cant seem to get a seal on the wound for damn machine to shut it up. Ughh. I see the infectious disease doc tomorrow, will make some decisions then I guess. Why does this have to be so hard and so painful. These dressing changes are just brutally painful, and leaves me in pain the rest of the day.
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 welcome to Bonesmart and congratulations on your surgery.

I can see you have a few questions which we would love to answer. The best way for people to follow your recovery and answer your questions is to start your own thread in the Hip Replacement Recovery area and when you have started that tag Josepehine who will be able to help you. To tag someone use the @ key and then type a few letters of the tag name/ person you are trying to contact and a drop down box of names will appear ....select from that. The reason Bonesmart asks you to do all this in your own thread is so we don't hijack @dianehelen s thread and so you both get the support you need.

@dianehelen I think you should really complain about this nurse. I learnt after this infection that. You really need to advocate for yourself....the medical profession are human and do make mistakes. They will even tell you that..that's why they have so many double check systems whilst you are in hospital.

For me....noise can be the thing that I lose it over. Buzzing machines, low droning sounds, loud tvs etc make me lose it. :censored: In hospital I learnt how to silence the drip etc.... To have a machine attached to me that was beeping all the time would make me batty :banghead::hissy::headbang::hairpulling::gaah::tantrum::hissy:

If you don't feel comfortable asking for a new nurse then maybe tell her all this????

I hope the infectious disease Dr has some good news for you

Keep us informed and good luck xxx
 
My husband just thinks I'm too picky, but, darn it, this is my life and my health, yanno? I.may just have to have a chat with the director of nursing at the agency, we chatted before about the appt time issues and she seemed pretty concerned and helpful. Ya im the same with noise, that's why this damn thing attached to me is making me crazy, add that to.in pain, its just too.much. As for the dr tomorrow, that's a whole other stupid insurance related nightmare. But we'll see how that goes
 
So, I today's hit parade line up, is the infectious disease dr. And of course, as life goes, cannot be without some aggravation. This is the dr that I guess was assigned to me in the hospital to investigate, then treat the infection I developed. When I was released, she made a follow up appt for me. They called the other day to confirm the appt, and to inform me they are not in network for my insurance, which really surprised me. I called Cigna to verify this and yep, out of network. Now between the 2 surgeries, and all the rip off hospital costs ($17 for each vicodin I was given), I have met my $2000 deductible AND my coinsurance $6000 out of pocket maximum. But, for out of network coverage there is ANOTHER $2200 deductible. The drs office gave me a choice of paying $220 per visit and they would process it thru Cigna and go towards the non network deductible, OR I can self pay $150/visit, and not go thru ins. When asked how many visits I would need, they had no idea. Both bad choices because if it were an in network dr, I'd pay ZERO, having exeeded all my deductibles and out of pocket. Ughhhhhhh making your head spin yet? I found an in network infectious dr, but first appt is May 21.I did book that appt. I have to go to this appt today as it's the last day of my iv antibiotics and need to know what's next. So I'll go, pay the $150 on my flex card, get my records and tell them whatever they give me has to be for the next 4 weeks, as I will not be coming back to an out of network doc. Insanity huh?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom