THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Josephine :-). For always telling it like it is, honest and clear to understand. I really appreciate your tremendous input to this forum. And I did read that article, but I still have some concerns.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen Just wanted to stop by and see how you are doing. Good to hear that you are following Josephine's advice, I promise she will never steer you wrong. :iagree:I agree with her that you had a major setback with the infection and that things won't be progressing the way someone without that would be. But then you don't need to compare your recovery to anyone else because as others have told you, your recovery is unique to you. Be sure to follow the mantras and rest ice and elevate. Take it easy my friend, your body will recover but it may take you a little longer because of what has happened. Don't feel like a failure, the infection was not your fault and you will get better.Everyone has their own set of things to deal with during their recovery and I think for what you have been thru you are doing great!! Just be patient, it will happen!! Love and prayers to you my friend!! :friends:
 
Thanks Mystikfairy61 for checking. I'm hangin in there, but for now, ice part is a no go. Both the surgeon and nurse said ice stops blood flow, and for this vac to work I need to stimulate blood flow, not suppress it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen Definately do what they said then, I had no idea but it makes sense. Hope you start to feel a little better every day!!
 
Hi Diane @dianehelen I'm just catching up on your thread and wanted to reassure you that you are actually doing really well remembering that you are recovering from 2 surgeries and are fighting an infection.

I just wanted you to try and reassure you that you are actually lucky (I know you don't feel it and probably think I'm crazy!!!!) that your infection was picked up so early......you are fighting the good fight and don't let hubby or anyone else tell you you should be doing more...it's tough fighting infection and recovering from THR plus another surgery.

Try to eat well, medicate for the pain and rest heaps.....when is your next visit to determine when the wound vac can come off?

Keep up the good work
 
THANK YOU so much for your encouraging words. It sometimes feels like this nightmare will never end. As for the wound vac, its gonna be many months. I see the surgeon tomorrow, but I think it will be the infectious disease dr who will determine the wound progress, but who knows. Just to give an idea of the enormity of this wound, the current measurements are 13cm(long) x 4cm(wide) x 14cm(deep). The depth started at 16cm, so in 2 weeks has decreased just 2cm. At this rate it will be maybe more then 3 months. Which is just unfathomable to me, to be tied to this machine and dealing with the 3x a week painful dressing changes, with a nurse who can't seem to schedule appts that ever come close to the time agreed upon. I still have daily meltdowns over this whole ordeal and feel like a prisoner in.com own house. I am walking a bit better, but still in pain from the wound, and hard to sit in a normal chair for more then a few minutes, which makes something as normal as going out to dinner not possible. But at this point I have no choice then to wake up each day, and just get thru another day, and count the hours till bedtime, as thankfully I am sleeping well. How are you coming along, I know you dealt with quite the ordeal yourself.
 
Hi @dianehelen Just wanted to stop by and say HI.
You are doing the right things, plus add in time.
It does sound hard for sure, but I know one thing.... we are so fortunate to have found Bonesmart
to get support from each other.
It sure helps to have buddies like @Vetgirl who is going thru such trying times but always finds time to
support her buddies here.
(((Hugs))) to you Diane
 
Diane, I had a dear friend who had a hysterectomy for cancer. She was in her 50s and extremely large (about 450lbs at a guess). She also had a very large, pendulous abdominal flap that extended right down to her knees when she was sitting. So needless to say, being constantly covered and her wound got infected and opened up right into her abdomen. I'd say it was about the size of yours by the sound of it. She also had a wound vac and yes, it was also her constant companion for around 4 months. But ultimately the wound did heal and healed well.
 
Ughhh josephine, that 4 month idea makes me want to throw up, but very realistically could be my reality.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Diane, you sound how I once felt! I had a hip fracture in June 2009. I had one surgery after another for the next nine months, with no time to recover between surgeries. I know that isn't your situation, but I can definitely relate to the frustration of feeling like this unexpected medical thing is controlling every aspect of your life. Stuck at home with nothing fun to do for a long, long time. It's so frustrating!

It's so easy to park in front of the TV and be depressed. Try to do something for yourself every day. Even if it's something small. Maybe, if you have the energy, this would be a time to learn something new or explore a new hobby. Only if that's what you want though. That certainly shouldn't become another source of stress.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @alexthecat. My biggest problem now is this horrid wound deal. Hard to do much of anything with this damn machine on me 24/7, as well as the every other day painful dressing changes. Also, the whole hip and infection sugeries, this year, are just on the heels of the last year and a half or so, fighting and dealing with breast cancer. So after a miserable year or so with surgery, chemo and radiation, the hip pain started during that, so I had to wait to get the hip surgery done. So it's just been a very long depressing health time for me, that with all going on, the extra deal with this infection, had really thrown me for a loop. Sorry if that's TMI, just needed to cast some perspective on things.
 
@Josephine, your friend who had the vac for 4 months, did she also not shower for that long? That's the other thing that's really getting to me. Bath wipes, wash cloths, sponge baths are NOT a shower. I sooo need a shower :-(
 
Bless you, Diane. You've sure had to deal with more than your share.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
B ack from exhausting surgeon appt. So the dr says the sores are indeed tape burns, and keep treating as best I can. Thankfully he did not need to open the wound, just looked at it and says it looks ok, and that the vac will take a while, but way less than the old way, and just suck it up. He took an xray and says the actual hardware is doing fine. Here is my bionic, $130,000, hip. Ok time for drugs and hopefully a nap

[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op and miserable
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dianehelen you have been through a lot in the last few years. And it must seem unfair

It is hard having your whole life revolve around your wound and infection....I know. And not having a shower....yuk.

I know it's hard but we have to try to look at the positives in our situation, medicate the pain, live within our limits and remember there is always someone worse off than us somewhere. I learnt that from my mother when she was dying of cancer. Of course I'm not saying don't talk about your issues here.....we need that too....don't we? And BS is a supportive and friendly place to do it

I've had a lot of blows this last year....losing my job was hard, more surgery and just missing out on so many things I looked forward to but couldn't make. I found reading some of others threads who have been through this situation to be a great tool as you realise that this is but a blip in our journey and we too will get our lives back too. We will!!!! We will!!!!

There are not too many well documented threads about post op infections so I am trying to keep mine informative like yours to help others if it should God forbid happen to them. I found knowledge is power.

Try and love your wound vac. :hairpulling: lol....and remember it is trying to save your implant and the ordeal of more surgery. I was just getting my life back when my infection raised its ugly head...either way is discouraging. Can you ask the nurse who visits if you can cover your leg and have a quick shower without the machine attached??? I know this would life your spirits so much.

Even a visit to the hairdresser for a wash, or a manicure or a facial....all these things make us feel human again

Hang in there....it will get better...it has too!!!!!
 
You are doing it tough @dianehelen - I hear you about you infection due to the tapes. I recently found I have a sensitivity to all bandaids, petroleum based dressings and even non allergenic micropore tapes. My infection started with a non allergenic bandaid covering a mosquito bite the size of a pin head ending up with over a 20 cm x 20 cm open nasty wound - Four courses of antibiotics, with all the associated side effects...

The reason I mention this is that our own immune systems are fabulous fighting machines and eventually it kicks in and recovery occurs - hang in there honey, you will get there - sadly I found it took all my patience (and more) and time - hugs from OZ.
 
@Josephine, your friend who had the vac for 4 months, did she also not shower for that long?
No she couldn't. As I understand it, she just spread a big towel on the bathroom floor and sloshed water over herself as best she could!

Oh, and during this ordeal, her daughter and grandson (who was a holy terror!) moved into their tiny retirement bungalow with them as well! Daughter worked so g/ma was left to see after her g/son all day as well! AND while daughter went out clubbing at the weekends! Talking about taking the michael!
 
Gosh @dianehelen I'm just catching up with your thread. You are a real trooper. Hang in there. A big bump in the recovery road but you will get there. :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom