THR 2 weeks post op and miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh ok. My brain has just gone to mush over all this and sometimes need clarification I stuff. Thanks :-)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Dianehelen....when you call the office, don't you get a menu where you push buttons to get to the right person? If so, there should be an option to leave a message for your doctor's nurse to call you. You would say you are a new patient of Dr. xxxx and need some information before your appointment on May-whatever.

If there is no menu and you go straight to the scheduler, tell him/her the same thing. Insist that you'd like to speak briefly with the doctor's nurse and could you please leave a message on their voicemail. Sometimes you must be a bit assertive, but a squeaky wheel can usually get the job done.

Otherwise, I guess you could simply wait until your scheduled appointment.
 
HI Bonesmarties. I'm still struggling along with this damn wound dressings, gonna be a long time. But I have a hip joint healing question..Now when they change the dressings they really want me laying totally on my right side to get a better angle on the wound. When I do this,,I feel pressure on my hip, I do use a small pillow better my legs, but I still feel a discomfort. Then the rest of the day my hip feels sorta achey/stiff. The next day somewhat better, but in general, I'm like 7 weeks out from the THR, shouldn't my hip feel about normal by now, or not? I'm still using a cane, but can walk a bit without it. I am still walking "not right", like with a limp. Do you think this seems normal/ok, or does it seem like there could be a problem with the hip? I'm also going to use a bigger pillow between my legs for the next dressing change torture session.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Which hip are you referring to? The left that you are laying on or the right with the new ironmongery?
 
Laying on my right side for dressing changes. My new hip is the left, where the wound is

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
I hate Mondays (like most people, but for different reasons), but I also hate Wednesday's and Friday's too. Those are the days Dr Mengele's (who knows who he was?) nurse comes to provide my thrice weekly torture sessions, aka wound vac dressing change. Damn, that is so freaking painful. But making some (slow) overall progress. The depth measured from the deepest part of the gargantuan opening on my flesh, has gone from 16cm to 10cm in just over 3 weeks. She did say today (sorry if tmi/gross), its looking nice and bloody and beefy? I guess that was a good thing. But man oh man, the pain is just beyond anything I've ever experienced on an ongoing level. Ok Percocet time.


Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Well,

When she is describing it like that it means that she ISN'I seeing any pus or unusual dis colored drainage! That is a very good sign for you! You are healing up nicely also. It takes time for the body to repair itself. :console2:
 
Oh Diane @dianehelen what a debacle this whole thing is with the IS......I just don't get it, compared to how it works here in OZ...I won't bore you again.

You really just don't need it on top of everything you are going through!!!

Good news on the wound progress though. Don't beat yourself up about feeling down and angry....you have every right to be.....I'm feeling abit that way myself.!!!!

Here's hoping the new ABX speed up the progress for you. Oh and good on you and well done for telling that IS how it is :yes!:
 
Infection specialist....I thought I saw it earlier in your thread and just assumed that was what it was :blush:
 
Ahh ;-) ok. I have not even given her a thought since that awful appt last week. But thanks for clearing that up for me. How are you doing today, with hubby and kids at work and school? How do you manage on your own? Can you walk at all? My husband i s back home now for 3 days, till he resumes his night shift thurs-sun, trying to enjoy/appreciate the few days he is around.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
@dianehelen ,

I have not had a hip replaced, but I had an incompetent doctor who decided the best way to fix an anal fistula was to "filet me open like a butterfly pork chop!" The wound was so deep and he wanted it to heal from the inside out. Every time I went to the restroom, I had agonizing pain and then had to shower. I went to a specialist in a different city after it had healed, because I could no longer "poop" and when he saw what had been done he asked who had butchered me! They had to clear just enough scar tissue so I can go, but not had to be careful, because if he cleared too much, I would end up with a colostomy bag! There are days it closes off on me now and it is painful. I just get my Miralax out and life goes on.

Open wounds especially with the wound vac are painful! They had one on my knee! I am praying that the IS has an answer to your problem!
 
@RestAssured, you had a wound vac? How long did you have it for? We're the dressing changes painful for you too?


Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
That's how we did it when I were a lass! It was the only method available to us.
 
Diane, glad your wound area is getting smaller. The process is working though I know you want it done. :hugzz:
 
Just popping in for a bit of an update on my continued saga. Still not doing great. Today was the last day of the current antibiotic, waiting in lab results. But the wound nurse is concerned about these continuing skin sores/blisters that keep occuring, like quite a distance from the actual wound. Her suspicion is that because the whole area had such hard swelling, as it's going down, the fluid needs to escape, and is finding it's way thru my skin. She called my surgeon yesterday, who wants to see m e Thursday to take a look at the wound as well as this skin blistering issue. I'm so down and blue about this whole deal. I read all these lovely posts about people getting such great recoveries, and I know everyone is different, but I can't help feeling a bit envious..The wound is getting smaller, but there is about a 2" edge on the outside of the wound that she thinks the dr will have to clean up, so it can heal. The rep from the vac company came with the nurse yest to to maybe add a 2nd pair of eyes as to why the machine is so noisy at times, and developes leaks. When pushed for even a ballpark time frame for the vac, she said maybe 3 months. Sorry to be whining again, but I'm just so sad, and miss my life. I'm scared about the dr visit Thursday.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Wow, three months? I am so sorry! I am worried about the blisters that are forming away from the wound. The reason the wound vac was so painful for me, was that a staple had buried itself under my skin and was missed when they took staples out. When Dr. Maale looked, he started talking to the one who removed my staples! He showed him what had gone wrong and he said "we will talk later !"
 
Ouch @RestAssured not good at all

So sorry to hear you so down in the dumps.....I can't really offer anything except to say that I understand. It's a lonely road that you ultimately travel alone....that's what has me so down. I haven't been out of bed since Sunday....why bother!!!!

I hope the Dr can give you some good news soon.

Thinking of you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom