2 weeks left to chicken out.. my random thoughts

Hi again @Mascaramom
Pity Parties Allowed Here.....
Your feelings are right on course. I'll bet 99% of us can relate to each feeling / concern you mentioned.
At times it's like a bad ride and you just want OFF!

It's scary and I so wish I could take it away. I recall the feelings all too well.
I quietly cried myself to sleep many a night simply because I was afraid. So if you feel like it....cry.
This IS difficult but you'll get through it. Its easy to say and hard to do but try to stay busy as a distraction.
If you like to cook, prepare meals to freeze for your recovery.
Decide where you will sleep and make sure you have ice packs, pillows, loose comfy clothes
and all the dumb old recovery items you'll need for a few weeks. Walker, cane, raised toilet seat, if you so desire.

Use us, ask questions, get opinions, cry, kick and scream. We're a sympathetic patient bunch who understand through experience. Stop by as often, or little as you want. You are not alone here.
Hugs, hugs and more hugs......you're going to do great!
 
Hi @Mascaramom it's not wrong to feel sorry for yourself I have been through numerous melt downs over the past few months as my hips got worse it's like any major traumatic life event. I still find it difficult to accept how quickly things go bad and how much we rely on our hips everything you do physically seems to involve hips you don't realise this until they get bad I also find you develope a strange sort of laziness because of the anticipation of the pain when you start to do something it's easier and more comfortable to just lie or sit there than get on with stuff. For a while anti inflammatories helped a bit but after time they did nothing for the pain and I am not keen on side effects long term I am not taking anything now and haven't been doing for months as nothing helps. With just 4 days to go I feel like I have developed a detached sort of acceptance I think the pain helps us accept the cure more easily. Life does become rubbish before surgery but try and project ahead when you will have that normal life back for you and your family.
 
With just 4 days to go I feel like I have developed a detached sort of acceptance I think the pain helps us accept the cure more easily. Life does become rubbish before surgery but try and project ahead when you will have that normal life back for you and your family.

Yes! A detached acceptance! That's my goal! Lolol
I agree, the pain is what is helping me turn the corner.
A little "law of attraction" and positive thinking is what I'm always trying to instill in my kids, I suppose Ill take your advise and try it myself.
 
If you like to cook, prepare meals to freeze for your recovery.
Decide where you will sleep and make sure you have ice packs, pillows, loose comfy clothes
and all the dumb old recovery items you'll need for a few weeks. Walker, cane, raised toilet seat, if you so desire.

I believe the walker, cane, commode, are being supplied before I'm released from my 2 days in the hospital.
I was told I'd be in surgery Tuesday and home Thursday.

But what about "thigh high compression stocking" and these ice packs?? Where would i get those?

My bedroom is upstairs but hubs will help me up. I told him to start working out! Lol


We're you able to wear underwear after? I was told I'd have a pretty big scar on my side. I keep thinking of those crazy mesh UNDIES the give you after having a baby. Lol
 
Hi @Mascaramom the hospital should give you the ted stockings not easy to get on and off apparently so another job for your hubby! Amazon are good for ice packs must get some more myself .
Sorry can't comment on mesh undies :blush: . Bag packing weekend for me I think . Don't forget keep drinking that water . Have a good weekend :SUNsmile:
 
@Mascaramom Welcome!!
I get the whole too young thing. It is crappy to get this done so early. But what would be even crappier? NOT having this, and being in pain. I have been dealing with this for three years. I have tried everything (in vain) to avoid surgery. I can't, and no longer want to avoid it. I WANT MY LIFE BACK. I miss walking anywhere, everywhere PAIN FREE. I am tired of the pity parties. Too much living to do. Is it March 20th yet?
 
I would double check to make sure about walker, cane, etc. @Mascaramom. different insurances handle it differently, you just don’t want last minute surprises. I had mine before surgery, but I was using cane and crutches before hand. I also ordered a walker and paid myself. That let me practice around the house and check out set up to make sure I could navigate where I need to.

We don’t have much longer to go!
 
You guys... you know how you keep saying I'm going to wonder what took me so long to decide to go through with it.. well, I'm ALMOST starting to BELIEVE YOU! Lol.


@mcopt You only have a few days!! I WILL head your advice and keep hydrated. That's a HUGE thing as I NEVER seem to drink enough. Cam you tell me how it is helpful in recovery also??

I have also on more than one occasion tossed my crutches across the room after bumping, dropping or tripping over them. Lol Not that your wife would do that ;)

I will look on Amazon for ice packs... Are we talking about the ones with the jelly inside? When I think of ice packs all I can picture are the small blocks that I freeze and put in my kids lunch boxes...

@sequin98 hi!
I can't imagine going on for years this way. It seems cruel To allow patients to endure this type of discomfort knowing that all of the hoops they make you jump through are not going to work. I mean really have they worked for anyone I wonder? Has anyone come away from physical therapy and a cortisone shot and said well I'm cured?

I'm beginning to realize how lucky I am that my insurance company has been so SO co operative thus far.

@MammaT I will be sure to call my surgeon's nurse 1st thing on Monday and ask. Thank you for the tip of doing a "dress rehearsal" if you will lol
February is almost here!!!
 
Last edited:
I got the extra large flexi-cold ice packs at amazon @Mascaramom. They are large enough to wrap around side of hips and covers most of thigh. I got two of the double packs so I have total of four-want to always have a couple ready.

I only mentioned the assistive devices because at my surgery center, they will order them for us if needed, but I don’t bring any to surgery center-i use theirs. As you can tell, I am a little ocd when it comes to prep but since it helps me be distracted, I figure tat isn’t all bad!
 
@MammaT that makes perfect sense. When I went in to visit my surgeon and sign the consent form, I do remember signing a piece of paper saying I agreed to come home after the hospital rather than to a rehab facility and that I would be provided with those things. However I do like the idea of having them here ahead of time so that I can check it out.

Those ice packs sound fantastic.
Amazon Prime is my best friend lately. I'm ready to do some online shopping. Lol
 
Hi @Mascaramom I think @MammaT has answered about the ice packs, gel ones. Keeping hydrated at anytime is good, post op it will help with any potential constipation, help uptake of painkillers and other meds efficiently, keep your circulation running well and generally keep body systems working well, also it might make you pee more which could be a good thing as it will gets us up and moving to the bathroom and movement as long as it is cleared by medics is good. Keep the faith and BELIEVE, a positive attitude is so important, the lovely people on here have given me so much help, support and reassurance. You can talk to friends and those near and dear to you BUT with the best will in the world unless they have gone through this themselves they really can't quite get it. Have a good weekend :wave:
 
Staying hydrated keeps those meds post-op flushing through your system.
Constipation can also be a common side effect of anaesthesia and pain meds so grab some stool softeners and drink drink drink!
 
My bedroom is upstairs but hubs will help me up.
Hubby can rest easy - you will not need help. You will not leave the hospital until you can move about on your own including up and downstairs.

[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks left to chicken out.. my random thoughts
I bought a package of 6 of these and rotated them constantly post op.
 
@Mascaramom my advice to you my love is BIG underwear!!Your butt will be swollen and the elastic will cut so get at least one size bigger! Also no PJ's just nightshirts in hospital. I am better prepared now for my next one
 
@Bevlah That's exactly what I'm talking about.
So this week I will be shopping for giant undies lol some night shirts for the hospital and some comfy outfits JUST IN CASE I am able to actually make it to my 10/11 year olds birthday party ( on February 18th.) I know it's wishful thinking....
@Jaycey I am SOOOOOO relieved to hear that. It's been a source of great anxiety thinking that I would have to be downstairs with all of the commotion of the 2 kids and my husband and my best friends who are helping with the child care.
 
Back
Top Bottom