TKR 1ELISEA – Over The Year Mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you and ask if it is ok to mention this on my thread so that the others that visit it could perhaps say a prayer for you or send positive thoughts to you?

Oh, Nana moon, that is so sweet! Yes, of course it is, absolutely, and thank you.
I didn't post my upcoming ablation on my thread because all of you are either worried about your own surgeries or busy healing. Last thing ya need is worrying about another person.

It is scary for me. My close to home hospital has been great with my electrical cardioversions; literally from the check-in desk to a room is 30 seconds with six people waiting there for me, not kidding. (Guess I must look really bad. :heehee:)

Though the nurses tell me I am stoic by not complaining, by the time I get to the hospital I am dog tired at 19 hours in 200+ bpm of atrial fibrillation (out of rhythm heart, sweating, clammy, chest pain, nauseous, light headed, etc.) And I've gotten spoiled with always getting the Resus room, the extra big room to make space for all of the hospital staff and with all the "special" crash cart type equipment.

But I can't keep doing this and living a full life so looking towards the cardiac ablation to be healing.

I'll write more as it goes along. It isn't TKR related but it would be great to let you know how I am doing.

You are all really great folks and I'll take all the prayers and good wishes you can muster!
Kindest thoughts, 1ELISEA
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @1ELISEA

I know this isn't knee related but you are a very important part if this forum. My thread, although officially is my recovery, has morphed into the most wonderful virtual coffee stop. I don't mind one bit. Distraction helps when you are in recovery and pain, most definitely. We talk knees, recovery, other ailments, the weather, the price of trainers, suitable footwear, what's happening in our lives, oh it's endless but marvellous. You are more than welcome to pop in if you just want a natter (chat) about anything you like.

After my TKR in January, I had a chest infection that gave me 133 bpm and that was dreadful. I cannot begin to imagine 200+ bpm. It wore me out, so I feel for you on that, bless you.

Thank you for allowing me to do this @1ELISEA , positive thoughts and virtual hugs in their way across to you xxx

Please take care
 
I wanted to give an encouraging word

Thank you, I need them. I am a bit worried it could be made worse, could permanently put me in afib, may need more cardiac ablations, may be necessary to live on meds which I cannot tolerate or are allergic to, etc.

I used the same method for picking the Electrophysiologist that I used for picking an OS. I handed him my paper with my history of afib for the last year.

It happened to also have my list questions on it, the first of which was, "how many people have died from your procedures". And then my questions got more direct. :rotfl:.

He didn't miss a beat and answered each one fully, told me all his stats, complication rate, how he does the ablation compared to others, why he prefers the method he uses, all.

I feel good I've picked a great dr. who has done a boatload of ablations. The drugs do worry me, though, I haven't heard of Ticosin before, is that a new drug?

I am holding onto hope that I won't need any drugs after I've healed as I don't do well on medications; too many side effects.

Thanks again @jeano !
 
Thank you all!
I started the blood thinner today so now it's more real.
One month and counting!
Yikes!
 
Hi @1ELISEA

Just popped in to see how you are? I hope all is ok? Won't be too long now xxxx you're in my thoughts...

Love Ann (Nana moon 27) xox big hug xox
 
Just popped in to see how you are
@Jamie for fyi

Thanks!
It's been a brutal week at work. As the end of the year gets nearer, seems everyone goes into panic mode; like the world is going to come to an end. Go figure.

Yes one more week! ACK!
Saw the physician's assistant who explained all of the upcoming appointments, tests, procedures, who's on first, what's on second... :heehee: My goodness!

I've tried not watching the youtube videos about the procedure, but curiousity won over. After all, I'm going to be asleep, so kinda want to see what's going to happen.

Everyone keeps reassuring me it is the right thing to do; but just like with a TKR, until you are on the other side, everything is a bit scary. It's the "what if it makes things worse", thoughts.

But I've chosen well, hopefully, with the dr. and his staff.
 
Hi @1ELISEA

Just popped across to see how you Are? Have you got an actual date for your surgery?

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxxox'oo
 
Hi @1ELISEA, my goodness I just happened upon your thread and you are going through a lot. Wow. I di not realize. I wish you well and my prayers :prayer: go out to you. You did swell with your knee, but now must go through this procedure. One never knows what will come our way. Life is not simple and we must take one day at a time. Many blessings and well wishes are being sent your way. Take good care of yourself and everything will be okay. :console2:
 
I'm betting you will be very, very glad you had this done. Thanks for the update. Wishing you well and sending you lots of hugs!!! Can't wait to hear from you when it's a done deal.
 
@yiayia3 @Jamie @chestnc @Nana moon 27
@icep707

Thanks much for the nice thoughts and prayers everyone!

Cardiac ablation is November 4th.

I go in on November 3rd for the TEE (like an endoscopy) to check for blood clots and a CT scan which they use as a model for the heart during the ablation. I return home and come back the next day, Tuesday, Nov 4th, for the ablation.

A video I watched from another country (so I did not understand what was said) showed the patient joking and talking with the surgeon as some wires were threaded into both his left and right groins. :yikes: Nooooooo, not for me, nooooope make sure I am completely out.

They are using GA because it's a longer procedure for afib (2 plus hours surgeon time) as they have to reach the left side of the heart. And I don't want to know when they are making me go into afib and out of it and back into it and out of it...... well, you get the picture.
I do hope this works, guess I'll seee-eeee. :)
 
Oh my @1ELISEA, I am so glad that is all under general anesthesia as they would have to strap me to the table. I am a big big chicken. I am glad you have a date. That is right around the corner. My prayers will be with you as I hope all will be well as I know it will be. It just sounds so intense. I definitely hope it works. :fingersx: It must. You know your bonesmart friends are all pulling for you. Take good care of yourself!! :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Well, @Nana moon 27 I am a walking billboard of what stress can do.

My heart couldn't wait until Tuesday and my cardiac ablation.
Sunday night I had another afib episode and wound up in the ER on Monday being electrically cardioverted.

The ER doc and nurses were wonderful. They were totally relaxed, yet confident, and put me at ease. Not that I looked stressed, never do, they always comment in the ER about how non-stressed I appear.

But after all night in afib and no an end in sight I went in on Monday late morning and they gave me some propofol and shocked me back into sinus rhythm. Thank goodness. The whole team assigned to watch over me was wonderful.

I had so much work to do I went back to work the next day, totally worn out, and with my freshly made burn marks which looked eerily similar to the maple leaf on the flag of Canada.

Then I've have spent the last few days fighting off some scratchy throat, sinus thingy. Tonight I finally feel like it's much better. One last day of work tomorrow, Friday, maybe a weekend too, then the ablation on Tuesday.

Perhaps the latest afib episode was meant to convince me I really do need this ablation.
 
Hi @1ELISEA

Oh wow, thank goodness you're still here to tell the tale. Gosh how scary!! It certainly has convinced you about the need for the ablation.

Thank you for keeping me posted. Good luck for Tuesday. I'll be around before then though.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@1ELISEA I haven't been on much lately but being someone who has dealt with a-fib for many years, I wanted to reassure you. I had my first ablation in 2000, the2nd in 2001 and finally a 3rd in 2013. I have been afib free for the most part since, and the recovery from the last one was very easy. Feel free to private message me with any questions and concerns and also, I am interested in knowing where you are having yours done.

Dorothy
 
@turtle68
That is so nice of you to share! :)
And so sweet of you to ask if I have any questions, you are a dear; at this point I have watched oodles of youtube on it and my PA and nurses have been quick to respond.

Which brings me back to this forum. As I am sharing about a cardiac ablation, it is/ could be helpful to those having a TKR.

How I chose my Cardiologist is how I chose my Orthopedic Surgeon to do the procedure. I could be having it done in New York, Boston or Los Angeles; my search would be about the same.

I look for:
Experience, reputation, skill, knowledge, willingness to answer questions and do so thoughtfully, attentive during examinations, follow-through, and so on.


Experience and Skill. I look for someone who has done this procedure more times than most surgeons and above and beyond that figure. I mean a "boatload" more than others. With repetition comes experience; less surprises as they've encountered various situations at least once already.


Reputation as to how peers and patients and coworkers view the dr. Both my cardiologist and my orthopedic surgeon were recommended by their peers. And they were at different hospitals and different working groups. That speaks volumes. I do review on line for any possible negative remarks or actions on both social media and professional governmental licensing sites.


Staff is important. Do they answer the phone or call back asap when I've called. My medical assistant for the orthopedic surgeon was superb, could not have asked for better help from her. For my Cardiologist, I asked a question yesterday about getting a shot and mentioned I needed to know within the next 20 minutes as I only had a window of time to get the shot. The nurse called me back in my car as I was driving up to the building to receive a shot. That's attentiveness which I appreciate; and never once did she sound irritated or impatient with me; she sounded happy and thanked me for calling them.


Attentiveness. Do they treat me as someone with a brain? Oh so important to me. If a dr figuratively pats me on the head and dismisses my concerns I'm out the door. I prefer drs that can formulate a direct response and consider alternatives. Even if the dr has answered a similar question from other patients hundreds of times, for me, it's a very important question and I need to hear a response from the dr.


I could go on but my point here is that the same attributes I need in an orthopedic surgeon, I need in a Cardiologist. And I approach making my choice in the same way.
 
@1ELISEA

Best wishes for Tuesday! When you're able, please let us know how you got on.

My brother had a very lengthy, complicated ablation. It took about 4 hours.
For about a month, he thought that it hadn't worked, and he was getting a bit despondent. However, suddenly one day he converted back into normal sinus rhythm and he has been fine ever since. Until he had his ablation, I didn't know that sometimes the effects are not immediate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom