Guest viewing is limited

THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

I am so heartened by your PT's very focused approach on your overall structure. It's wonderful you're feeling improvement.
Curious to see what the MRI shows.
 
Yeah…..I’m curious too. I’m going to call the imaging center tomorrow and see if I can get it scheduled quickly. They are usually pretty prompt. I don’t know if they will do the bone scan at the same time or not, but I’m going to ask.
 
Last year around this time when I went back to work (silly woman that I am), after about 3 weeks I was pretty sure I had done something to my hip. I could barely walk, back to cane.
I did regular X-Ray & everything was still in place & that's when I followed up with new OS at Brigham who ordered MRI. Turned out it was my back & spinal stenosis. Took about 3 weeks of exercises, ice & heat to get back to normal but I did & thoughts of returning to my job as a server were quickly dismissed! (Although I love the job & people). Now I just dog sit to make some extra cash.
Keep us posted on your tests.
 
Thanks for knowing that it is possible to come back from spine issues without surgery. I hope that’s the case for me if it is spinal stenosis, but the truth will be in the imaging.
 
Thanks for knowing that it is possible to come back from spine issues without surgery. I hope that’s the case for me if it is spinal stenosis, but the truth will be in the imaging.
I have spinal stenosis as well as facet joint disease and my MRI was pretty bad.
Straightening my leg from being very valgus pre my PKR helped- and now I can manage with back exercises/ pilates. My knee surgeon thought a steroid jab would also relieve my sciatica if the leg straightening hadn't worked.I think surgery is only if all else doesn't work. I also found naproxen and pregabalin were helpful.
I hope the MRI gives you answers and you can get relief without surgery.
 
A major positive change happened with my hip (and to some degree my lower back) with today’s therapy session. Katie did pressure point treatments on the tendons in my groin for the quadraceps and psoas muscles. In probing around, she had found some areas that were tight and I could feel the tenderness in both when she pushed on the pressure points. She said both got some release and the psoas released so quickly that she felt it was a “secondary” problem. Then she had me bend my leg while lying down and she attached a belt around my leg at the hip level. I tried to find an image of what she did but couldn’t find one. If you can picture lying on your back with one leg extended and the other bent at the knee (foot flat on the table and heel as close as possible to the butt). The belt went over my bent knee and was then encircled my lower leg and upper thigh. She then strongly pulled on the belt to do what she called “traction.” I could feel it pulling my hip joint apart a bit. She increased the pressure until was pretty uncomfortable against my quadriceps. When I told her, she backed off a bit, but continued the pull for a while. She had me stand to see how things felt. The joint was looser.

Then she did what I imagine was pretty deep massage with the pulsating gun all up and down my quad. It was a bit uncomfortable, but no real pain. Then she had me turn on my tummy and did the same to the glute muscles. Less discomfort there.

When I stood up again, it was a miracle. My joint was loose. I could walk basically with a full normal gait. And pain was pretty much gone. I felt like I’d been through a real workout, though. I had to run a couple of errands on the way home and as I walked, things were noticeably better. I was shocked at the dramatic change and it definitely gives me hope that what I’ve been experiencing the past year actually can get resolved. Both my hip and my lower back are significantly better. I can only hope this holds or that she can do this same thing with each session until it is permanent. It certainly proves the point that a good therapist is pure gold. By giving her a lot of feedback as she was working on me, we may just have stumbled on the source of my problem. :fingersx:
 
Last edited:
This is fantastic! And yes, in my experience a PT who has gone above and beyond the regular education based on their interests can seem to work magic at times!
 
I’m still in awe this evening that I’m able to walk around the house with no pain and a new feeling that my hips and legs are somehow now “balanced.” I do have a little discomfort in my groin when walking sometimes, but it feels like a “tired” muscle more than actual pain. I’m still going to get the imaging done on my lower back.
 
That's great news, sounds like PT worked wonders. Yes, I'd still keep MRI appt, it's nice to have peace of mind after the test is done.
 
New update: My hip continues to improve slowly. I’m seeing the therapist twice a week for a “traction” treatment that works to ensure the ball of the hip joint is in just the right place, followed by deep massage with a gun to the quads and glutes. Each time I have the treatment, my hip feels great and that lasts longer every week. I’m concentrating on walking correctly with a good gait and my shoulders back, head up. This is helping too because I notice it is just a bit easier to take steps up or pivot without using those little tiny steps to turn around.

I wish I had gone to the therapist much sooner. Lesson learned here!! I no longer need my brand new orthotics and no more lifts in my shoes. I’d love to get another x-ray to see what my hips look like. I feel like they are much more balanced now.

Even with this good news, I can tell that my body is going to require a lot more time to be normal again. I have a big trip planned for August and am hoping to be strong by then. But I’m certainly glad to see these improvements. I was beginning to wonder if I’d ever get my normal hip back again!
 
This is just wonderful!!!! You should be in much better condition for your trip than expected.
 
I am learning so much about how weakened muscles surrounding your hip can impact your ability to walk correctly following a hip replacement. It’s starting to make real sense why doctors have always said that walking is the best therapy after surgery. And the thing we always say about “everything being connected” really holds true for not only hip functionality, but weak glute muscles also can impact the knee functioning (patellar-femoral syndrome). Weak gluteus muscles (maximus, medius, and minimus … your “butt” muscles) can cause problems walking, as well as back pain and poor patellar tracking.

I learned today from Katie that my gluteus medius being weak was the cause of a recent discomfort and difficulty walking (this problem comes and goes as my muscles are trying to strengthen and normalize). I was suddenly having a little more difficulty walking in a balanced way after yesterday’s therapy session. So today, she located numerous trigger points in my gluteus medius that were tight and preventing proper functioning of the muscle. This can lead to a slight limp and a feeling that you cannot put full weight on your leg.…exactly what was happening. So, today, she focused on those trigger points to release the muscle tightness. And it worked! When I got up from the table, I could stand and walk in a more normal manner again. It may not last, but at least now we are both aware of the weakness of this muscle. She asked if I had done anything yesterday after our session that involved carrying heavy items. Bingo! I ran errands, carried a 15 pound bag of dog food around and a gardenia tree that I bought at the garden center. That is likely what triggered the muscle to tighten up.

I cannot believe the intricacies of our body’s muscles and the science of movement! Katie warned that I may experience a lot of these little problems in the coming months as my muscles begin to get proper strength and the balance among all of them changes. They don’t like change, and will try to stay the way they were. So, once again….patience is important as this all resolves.
 
It's always the glutes, isn't it? :heehee:

Glad you have such a knowledgeable therapist working with you, @Jamie !
 
A lot has happened since I last posted. I’ve continued my twice-a-week sessions with my therapist, Katie, and now have significant improvement in how my hip functions. My gait is greatly improved, especially within the last couple of weeks. I am putting weight on my surgery leg normally and can feel more strength in my quad muscles going up and down steps. Katie hasn’t needed to do the traction to keep my hip joint in the proper position and rarely needs to use the therapy gun on the muscles. Each visit she checks to see if there are any pressure points in my glutes and quads that need a release, but honestly there isn’t much. She’s also changed my exercises to focus more on balance as well as strength.

I had an MRI on my lower back in late April. It revealed that I had some pretty significant degeneration in my lower spine. Some discs were moderate, but others were advanced. Since my hip is functioning better, my focus has switched to my back pain and weakness. It does impact my gait still. The pain and weakness are primarily on the right (surgery) side. Katie has told me that at the beginning, my entire body was twisted somewhat and she’s been working to get me straightened back in proper alignment. Like the hip muscles, there have been improvements, but I’m not there yet.

After the MRI, my GP recommended I go to a pain management specialist. I was really hesitant because my experiences with pain management specialists has just been okay years ago when my husband was having problems. Either there was no result or they tended to push shots and prescription meds and not work on the problem. But, I decided to go so that I could have the benefit of a professional analysis of the radiology report.

Was I ever glad I went! I saw a very knowledgeable Nurse Practitioner who explained everything on the report. She advised me not to worry too much about the documentation of deterioration in the discs, saying that most people my age have that. It sometimes can be a source of pain, but not always. Lots of her patients have had worse spines than mine and no pain (proof of the power of strong muscles being able to compensate for the aging spine). She had me lie on a bed and do a bunch of different movements with my back and surgery leg. None of this hurt. Then she had me lie on my tummy and she did some probing in the lower spine area. Wow, did she ever find some spots with significant pain! There were two spots she pushed on my lower right side that hurt! Then she had me return to my seat and gave me the diagnosis - no problems with the spine from the degeneration, no facet issues, but instead the problem is in the sacroiliac joint. She felt there was some misalignment and irritation to the ligaments that had occurred from all the months of poor walking I had been doing. She believed the SI ligaments were probably inflamed. We discussed all the possible treatments available and she agreed with me that the most conservative things of anti-inflammatory meds and therapy with Katie would be best.

So, I’ll be taking 100mg of Celebrex twice a day for 10 days, then dropping it to once a day until things are resolved. I have a new order for therapy with Katie that started yesterday where she will be working on the sacrum as well as finishing up with my hip muscles. She did some manipulation of the sacrum, telling me it was actually slightly twisted. Her goal was going to be to coax it back into a straightened position again. This will be a process much like what she did with my hip joint. And when I stood up, my back felt looser and walking was easier too. This is amazing to me! I’ve always had some issues with my lower back and now I’m wondering if this problem with the sacrum has been there for a long time. Nevertheless, I feel very hopeful that this too will be resolved and I will be a new woman!
 
I LOVE reading about good diagnostics and clear hands-on paths forward!!!!
 
These solutions to my problems have been a wonderful education experience for me. I think it’s amazing to learn what can be done with excellent therapy support.
 
There’s nothing quite as great as an extremely thorough exam. It sounds as if the NP really likes his/her job. That is one of the major components I look for in a practitioner.
 
The Celebrex has helped with the arthritis I have on the tops of both feet….that and Voltaren. Pain from this can seriously impact my gait. But the good news is that my hip continues to be in great shape. I walk better and more evenly with it now and Katie can only find slight tightness when she checks it every time I see her. The glute muscles are in good shape too with no tightness.

But it’s funny how when one thing gets fixed it reveals another problem. Today I began therapy for my SI joint in my back. It is out of alignment as well and causes me to still walk improperly and get some back pain when I work in the garden or do lots of things around the house. New pressure therapy, new exercises, and new education about my core muscles and what is weak. My spinal problem centers in the Transverse Abdominal muscles which form the base of your abdominal core and provides stability for your spine. I learned this really strange way to do clamshells today that exercises that muscle. Plus there was another exercise that required a partner (Katie) to provide resistance as I held my legs in a particular position. These are things that I’ve never been exposed to. She showed me how to push my fingers into my groin area so I could feel when the Transverse Abdominal muscle engaged during the exercises. She explained that strengthening these muscles would help the SI joint stay in proper position more rapidly than if she only did the manipulation. So she’s using a combination of manipulation of the SI area and the exercises. It will be interesting to see how this works. It sure did the trick when she was working with my hip, so I have high hopes. I know when I leave a session with her, I feel MUCH looser in the lower back. Progress! It just doesn’t last very long yet. Time….patience…..those old standbys are important.

But now another new problem has surfaced that may need attention. Sometime in the past I must have turned my left ankle to the point that it tore one of the ankle ligaments loose and it took a small chunk of bone with it - a bone fracture. It wasn’t treated and healed like that. An ankle surgeon discovered it 2 years ago when I went in to see why my ankle was hurting (I had twisted it, I think). He told me at the time that he could fix it but recovery would require 6 weeks on a knee scooter. I opted to have my hip replaced instead and just live with the ankle for a while.

But last Wednesday, I must have moved in just the wrong way because I had instant severe pain. It was so bad Wednesday night, I could barely walk with a cane. I canceled all my plans for the next day through the weekend to rest it and it did improve. But I decided I needed to see the doc again and find out if things are somehow worse now. So I’ll be going to have that looked at in late July. In the meantime, I just have to be careful when moving around, especially with backward or side steps that can cause my foot to roll slightly laterally. That makes the ankle hurt big time. Sigh…..older bodies!! At least it doesn’t impact walking forward on level surfaces. That seems to be going well.
 
I love reading about your collaboration with your PT!
But.... (sigh) ... yes... We're out of warranty!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom