THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

Oh, Jamie, the side effects of getting older can stink. I pray there's no surgery involved with your ankle and that it will repair itself.
 
The ankle fracture cannot heal itself. But it might be possible to avoid surgery with more physical therapy that strengthens the muscles surrounding the ankle. Or maybe some type of brace for use when doing heavy activity. I’m not going to rush into surgery, but at least the surgeon in this case assured me that if I had the ligament reattached, my ankle would be like new again. It’s a very mechanical process. The worst part is the 6 weeks on the scooter (non weight bearing) so that the attachment has time to heal. I have strong bones (just had a bone scan), so that’s a plus too for a good surgery result. I’ll be curious to talk with him. That diagnosis caught me way off guard two years ago and I’ve had lots of time to think about it. I don’t want to not do something that can keep this old body going as long as possible. I love me independence way too much for that.
 
Ouch, ankle issue. I'm coming up on 5 year anniversary of ankle fracture & surgery.
I was running down 6 carpeted stairs in my house & slipped, & still have no clue how I did it but I knew immediately it wasn't good. Just like when I slipped on small patch of ice & fractured my hip. All very avoidable accidents!
Had X-Rays at urgent care & immediately was given orthopedic appt for following Monday, I believe it was day after 4th of July I slipped & was a Friday.
Went to see surgeon, brought my X-Ray from Urgent care & he performed X-Rays himself to see if my ankle was "stable."
Nurse placed me in examining room & I was saying I didn't think it was broken and she replied, "oh, it's broken."
So my options were 8 weeks in a cast to see if it would heal, it was fractured in 3 places both sides. What? Simple slip down carpeted stairs??? Or surgery to repair, I would need pins, screws & rod going through back of my heel to stabilize the ankle, the rod would be removed later. 4 weeks in a cast, then boot, then PT.
If you can avoid surgery, do so. In meantime you can purchase an ankle compression sock which will help, also a boot helps too but will throw your gait off.
I wish you the very best.
 
Jamie, if your knee is at all sensitive, I doubt you'll be able to tolerate the knee scooter. I bought one when I broke my ankle and foot. After trying it for a few minutes, I knew I had to send it back.

Having strong bones is a huge plus! That is something we after-menopause women have to be concerned about.
 
@sistersinhim I don’t think I would have knee issues with a scooter. I can kneel with no pain. And you are resting your shin bone on the scooter and not square on the knee joint itself. I had planned to go test drive one at a local store if it looks like I need surgery. But thank you for the reminder to watch out for knee discomfort.

@myglasshalffull Your poor leg after that fall! In talking with the surgeon about my ankle, it sounded like a very straightforward procedure to reattach the ligament. At least that was how it was then. My concern, though, is that something may have changed and that might require some action now.

My appointment isn’t until August, so I’ll just try and be careful until then.
 
No, Jamie, I rested my knee on it. I assumed since I've had so many knee surgeries that I'm extra painful in my knees. I'm so glad to read that you are not having that problem. I bet the scooter would work fine for you, since you can kneel on your knees.
 
My biggest problem with the scooter is my home. The bathroom doors are very narrow and the bathrooms themselves are fairly small. It's an older home from the late 1970's and that's the way they were built. I plan a huge remodeling project soon that will open up some rooms and enlarge the small doorways so I can age in place here. But I'm not sure how I'd get to the potty easily or quickly with the way things are now if I had to try and wedge a scooter in there. I have a bedside potty left over from Chris, but then I have to worry about emptying it. So I don't think that would be an option. I could take the door off the main bathroom and that would help a little. My house is a "tract" house and, after seeing the inside of another house just like mine in a nearby development, I can see my house design was modified to bring the laundry area upstairs. In doing that the builder made the door to the main bath open right into the middle of the room (big sink area is on one side of the doorway; tub and toilet are on the other side behind the open door) so you have to navigate around the door to get to the toilet. I'm going to have a bigger doorway put in with a pocket door. If I needed the surgery soon, I'd hire a contractor to just come in and put in that doorway for me.

The other problem I would have with a scooter is the car. My garage is in the basement. I have a nice stairlift Chris left me to get easily up and down. But I would need a second scooter in the basement to use as I don't think I could get it up and down the stairs by myself. Then I also wonder about getting it in and out of my SUV. I suppose if push came to shove, I could just order groceries delivered for those 6 weeks. But I don't want to.....selfish, unrealistic me....

And then there's my dog. With my other surgeries, I boarded her for the first 3 weeks of recovery. I can do that again, and hopefully get through the remaining scooter weeks okay with her at home. It's pretty expensive to board her for the full 6 weeks. Plus....she's my pal and I miss her!

These are all things that could be worked through. I'll just be happy to hear that things haven't changed and I can put it off some more until I get the remodeling work all done. That will be a couple of years, I think.
 
Fingers crossed that you can put it off a bit longer. I have rejoined the grocery delivery club. It helps tremendously. I went to our local farmers’ market and picked up some things. Any more veggies and I would have needed to make a second trip in and out of the house. I put in a small dog fence for my two dogs. It helps me tremendously- the girls go out and then come back in. My outside steps plus a tall toilet are my next big projects. Finding someone to do it is the problem. Keep us posted!
 
Jamie,
I rented a scooter & couldn't use it, I just didn't care for it so my partner returned it. I used my rolling office chair to get around! I could stand on good leg at kitchen counter for awhile then sit & roll off to my next destination. I'm horrible on crutches.
And no weight bearing on that cast for at least 4 weeks so that was my life for what seemed like longest month of my life.
I've said it before I'd do hip surgery all over again rather than anything to do with my feet & not being able to walk.
I recently visited ortho who did my ankle surgery cause top of my right foot is so painful some days. I just wanted to be sure I didn't have any type of injury on that foot cause I do walk a lot. I have arthritis which I was hoping that's all it was. He said there's several solutions, final one being surgery at which time they cut bones & fuse together which "cures" it. No thanks...
 
I’m with you about pain on the top of the feet. I’ve recently discovered that Voltaren works wonders for me. I rub it on my feet in the morning and before bed and it really does reduce my pain there from the arthritis.
 
Yes, both my ortho & podiatrist suggested Voltaren which I purchased but doesn't seem to work for me.
I can go several days & foot is totally fine & then wham...I can barely put pressure on it.
I have found Biofreeze helps. And if I'm going to sit in one place for awhile a nice warm bucket of water with Epsom salt helps as well. Another reason I enjoy ocean water, that salt water takes a lot of aches & pains away.
 
Interesting about the impact of salt water…..another great reason to spend time at the beach!!
 
Another vote for Biofreeze - it helps my chronic neck pain more than anything. Yep, it's just menthol, so maybe it's placebo.
 
TigerBalm (red) is awesome! My nephew who hikes recommended it. A small amount goes a long way-it comes in a small container which works well for backpacking. I have used it on muscle aches and it worked well- shoulder pain from early days of hip surgery. The white version is not as strong.
 
HI Jamie:
Boy I really feel for you with all the surgery, and now the ankle acting up. I have had a bad ankle since my original break in 1971. My two ankle replacements in 2003 and 2005 (revision) worked OK, but not perfect like some others on the forum. However I am able to carry on a "normal" life...whatever normal is....but no running or extreme hiking, and no high impact anything.

Even though ankle surgery is the worst, your ligament will not reattach itself with out surgery. (I am not a doctor obviously) but this is what I believe. That ligament is what gives your ankle stability, and if it were me I would be on the phone with the DR office to try to get in to see him (her? they are usually guys) before the end of August. I personally hate not knowing, and having a plan. If he says it will serve you well, I would be getting that surgery done sooner rather than later.

Anyway, regarding the knee scooter, it was a life saver. I learned how to back into tight spaces, like a small WC and to navigate well with it. Really saved from having to crutch everywhere, and less risk of falling too. Your dog walking is another matter you will have to solve (a near by student?) and your garage will be basically inaccessible while you are NWB. But the rewards seems to outweigh these bumps in your road.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you have any questions or want to vent!
TCTuna
 
Thanks for the real life experience! Your information was helpful. Actually I will be able to access the garage area and driveway where my car is parked. I would just need to have a second rented scooter down there to use on that level. I have a stair lift to get up and down.

I never thought about backing the knee scooter into a tight doorway, but that may just be the answer for my bathroom. I'll have to take a look at that and see. If all else fails and I need the surgery, I'll just to my bathroom remodel sooner than planned to put in a pocket door.

You are definitely correct that the ligament cannot heal and reattach itself without surgery. The doctor explained it all to me 2 years ago. It seems pretty straightforward. He goes in and cuts off the small bone chip. Then he roughs up the surface of the ligament and tacks it to the bone. During the 6 weeks of non weight bearing, it will regrow into the bone and should be as good as new.....so he said. And you're right about those ankle ligaments being critical for stabilization of the leg, foot, and ankle. I think I've likely had the fracture for a long time as I have had bouts where I just suddenly fell for no reason. I thought it was my knees, but looking back, I'm thinking it was actually an imbalanced ankle.
 
Back to my hip recovery, though.....

My hip continues to feel good. And now that Katie has been working on my SI joint and gently pressing it back into proper alignment, my back feels loose and stable too. It's totally amazing!

I saw Katie this past Friday and my back has gone back into place so quickly that we feel I'll be able to drop back to one session with her a week instead of two. I'm still going to need to work on strengthening my back, core muscles, and legs. But these are things I can do on my own if I choose not to do formal therapy. I haven't made that decision yet. I'm just happy that she has been able to get me back into proper alignment. I feel balanced and like my hips are even. I wish I had a reason for an x-ray to see for sure.

Progress is measured by the fact that I can stand and walk without having to pause for a few minutes before I take off, I can go up a full flight of stairs without difficulty, I don't limp at all or favor my surgery leg any more, I stand and walk more upright, I can actually swing my arms forward and backward when I walk, and everything just feels more stable. Each of these things were not possible back in February.
 
Phenomenal!
 
Yep! Today things were still good and I was able to drop to one day a week from now on for a check and maybe to add or revise the exercises. Hip feels completely fixed now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom