• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

I didn’t mean to sound like I’m struggling. I’m not really. It’s just that things aren’t perfectly pain free, which I was expecting like with both knees and. My shoulder. I can do pretty much anything I want with the exception of walking long distances without using a grocery cart or cane for extra support. I’m not sure that’s not a factor of not exercising enough on a routine basis. I just seem to be so busy that it’s difficult to find a lot of time to pursue answers or try things that require time - like therapy or exercise. It will work out and I’m still glad I had my hip replaced. The hip pain I had before surgery is not there anymore and that’s a good thing. I strongly suspect that my spine issues are at least part of the problem. I may try a visit to a chiropractor also. There are a lot of options if I can just find time to fit them in.

Hi @Jamie I know what you mean about finding time but perhaps it's a question of priorities and remembering to factor in time for yourself. Therapy and exercise can be tedious as well as time consuming and it's a nuisance to know things are not as well as they might be so it's all too easy to ignore it and get on with the routine / easier / happier stuff. Only you can decide what's more important and valuable for you. Wishing you well whatever options you choose. Take care.

(I'll add my latest woes on my own recovery thread!)

Hi @Jamie , So nice to read an update from you. You were always so chearful and managed to give people on bonesmart courage for their recovery and it helped me a lot :flwrysmile: May your future be less painful, whatever solutions you may find.
All the best
Constanze

My movements are complicated by lumbar pain that makes me feel "stiff" a lot of the time.
So many of us with new hips suffer back issues. In my experience, once you get your orthotics fitted it will make all the difference in the world. It may take some time to get used to the new orthotics. But it will be worth it.

It’s so hard to prioritize our care and find time for our needs. I imagine having extensive knowledge about surgery and recovery makes it much harder when something is amiss. I hope you are able to find answers to what you are experiencing. Keep us updated!

Good luck with the new orthotics! I had to get new ones about a year post-op on my last knee and they really have helped me too. Mine were around 20 years old also and had worked fine for many years but I guess that next bionic joint necessitated a new set.

I don’t know why the orthotics issue didn’t dawn on me sooner. We always tell people to get new shoes following surgery because of the old wear patterns. I guess because I hadn’t needed the orthotics in a long time it just didn’t occur to me that I may need something like that again as I work to get things back into proper functioning alignment. It will be 4 weeks before I get them and I’m anxious to see how they work.

I have been working with my new orthotics now for a few months and they did improve things in terms of pain. But I still have not been able to shake that feeling of tightness in the hip joint, limping whenever I stand from sitting or lying down until I walk a few steps, and generally just not walking correctly. Yesterday I had an “event” that sent me back to my therapist today.

I had put some eggs in my egg cooker and pulled one (hot) egg out to have with breakfast. It was hotter than I expected and so was hurrying to get over to the sink in the kitchen to put it under cold water. When I took a kind of twisting step onto my unoperated leg, my foot rolled to the outside and, had I not been right by the kitchen counter, I would have fallen to the floor. I was able to catch myself where one counter intersects with the other and kept myself upright. I know there was some jerky movement that happened with my operated leg and hip joint, but I was focusing so hard on not falling that I don’t know exactly what it was. There was no pain either when this happened or afterwards. There also was no feeling that something snapped or broke loose, but when I stood upright, the tightness was significantly less. The rest of the day there was no pain and I was able to walk much better. I was shocked to have this happen!

Although I was not familiar with anything like this, I began to do some research and learned that, although not the same as with knees, it is possible to develop adhesions in the hip after replacement. In fact, much like the shoulder, the hip can actually become “frozen” if there is not enough movement during the weeks after surgery. My surgeon had me on 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks plus I had a home therapist move my hip in a way that really, really hurt in the first week after surgery. I always felt that one or both of these things contributed to my inability to regain proper strength and gait.

Fast forward to my consultation with my therapist today and she agreed this sounded like what I have been experiencing. And…..she proposed some specific passive motion therapy that should ensure I keep the gains I have now and begin to really improve with strength and mobility.

So….I guess I did the Manipulation Without Anesthetic (MWA) we talk about with knees sometimes…just with my hip. I’ve learned so much and in talking with Katie during my upcoming therapy sessions, I expect to learn even more about this. She says she sees this quite often with hips. So, while I think the stretches, getting new orthotics, and working with my tilted hip has helped, it would seem the real problem has been some adhesions that were restricting proper motion from my hip. I will know more as I work with Katie to get this resolved.

It’s the first time I’ve ever heard of a fall (or near fall) actually HELPED a patient! :rotfl:

@Jamie my mother had something simular to that when she fell with her hip replacement. She heard a pop though. She spent a few days in bed and said she has been great since. I'm going to go throw myself down the stairs soon. lol. Glad ur feeling better.

Over the years I have heard and read accounts of people experiencing a fall or car accident or (insert sudden movement here) and realizing a chronic pain or limitation had disappeared. It's uncommon and random!

I'm glad you're okay, Jamie. I know how scary it is to almost fall, and how thankful we are when we are close enough to grab something (or someone) to keep us upright. I also know how painful, frightening and awful it is to have the opposite happen, and I'm so glad you were able to catch yourself. I don't wish a bad fall on anyone!

I love the idea of a video of this “therapy maneuver.” I wonder if I can get my puppy dog to work my phone…..

Nahhhh….she’d probably be more interested in the hot egg I was trying to get to the cold water faucet.

You guys really made me laugh. I’ll report more after I have my first therapy session next Friday.

What great news, Jamie! Thank God you didn't fall, but also thank God that you now have better ROM!

I saw my therapist on Friday and Katie agreed I needed some work. She spent about 15 minutes stretching and pushing on my hip joint. She tested strength in both legs as well in all the leg and glute muscles. She was as surprised as I was that I actually had plenty of strength in all of them. Go figure. But my right leg still feels weak when I walk.

So she had me walk and then could see that my gait is horribly off. I leaned to one side and forward. My spine and hip were tight and there was no gentle rotation of the spine with each step. When she asked me to swing my arms front to back with each step, I literally could not do it! I was so uncoordinated and it was like nothing worked together in my body! She sent me home with some exercises to do every day….really simple ones….and instructions to concentrate on standing upright and pushing my shoulders back when I walk. That is helping more than anything. When I do that, I feel stronger in my right leg and walk better. But for now it’s hard to maintain the upright position without real effort and concentration.

So I’m thinking a good part of my work will be to learn to walk properly again. Evidently the strength is there in the muscles, but if I don’t have the right posture, my bad alignment doesn’t let those muscles engage. I swear….the body is so amazingly complex! It’s going to probably be at least a month or two with Katie before I improve. The good news, though, is that she feels confident we can make some good progress.

The therapy is helping with my hip flexibility and that helps my gait and strength. But I think it’s going to be at least a couple of months to begin to regain “normal” again (and work after that to keep it).

I saw my GP today and discussed the possibility that my lower back problems may have worsened. He agreed that needed to be checked out. So now I’m scheduled for a bone density test and an MRI. But he agreed that what I’m describing seems to indicate some nerve compression. He said to keep up the therapy! Katie said I walked much better today and I do feel I’m making some slow progress. April and May appear to be pretty “doctory” months!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member