Revision TKR 16 Months Post TKR

Your new doctor sounds very thorough. It’s good news that everything is coming back with no problems. I’m guessing that your surgeon will tell you that your knee is fine and just needs more time. When you opted for an MUA in September, that started your recovery clock all over again. Some people just have a lot of swelling to deal with after a knee replacement. The old standbys of not overdoing the exercises or activity plus taking something for pain or swelling and ice can help. Let us know what happens when you see your surgeon again.
 
Thank you all for the reply’s full of information and caring. So I met with my new Dr. yesterday and he asked how I was doug. I said not well actually losing ROM and pain level much worse. I said I was concerned given everything came back normal. He said that is correct except for the bone scan. The radiologist stated that the radiation uptake was normal for post op. My Dr. sad that two or three month after he would agree but not at 16 months. He showed me the scans and pointed out all of the dark uptake parts which were all the way around my knee. He said there is no question I have loosening and from the scan it appears to be in several places. So he gave me 2 options. Keep going how I am and do nothing or do a complete revision. Take everything out and put new in. Being in pain 24/7 it’s a no brainer let’s fix it is what I said. He said a revision is no joke. The operation is very long and of course all of the possible negatives are there like DVT:s and many others. He agreed and I am going in for revision surgery on the 7th of January. I am excited and nervous. Starting all over seems crazy but I want my life back. Thanks for listening and if I can help any of you let me know.
 
James......revisions can be tricky, so I'm glad you have a new surgeon who is experienced in this procedure. I'm sorry you are facing this, but it is the only way to get things on a good path once there is loosening. It doesn't ever repair itself. We're here for you if you have any questions or concerns. I'm glad this doctor did all the tests necessary to find this out for you.
 
Glad you found a new surgeon. Good Luck with your revision surgery! Please keep us updated on your progress following revision surgery.
 
I am so glad you found a revisionist that is listening to you, and that you have a good result in the new year!
 
Just a quick update. Revision surgery is now confirmed for the 13th of January. Wow, it’s a really weird feeling to be excited and super nervous at the same time. Excited to get this fixed and I will be able to get back to life without pain after 16 months post TKR! Nervous to go through this whole starting point again! It will be worth it I am sure!!! Take care and Happy holidays to you all.
 
Thanks for posting. Your signature was updated.
It will be nice to have the surgery behind you and back on the road to recovery. We're here for you, James!
Happy Holidays! Enjoy! :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@JamesW57
 
I truly understand that feeling of excitement and apprehension. We all get it. Even when you’ve been with BoneSmart for years as a staff member and know all about the surgery and recovery, it’s a normal reaction. The time will go by quickly and you’ll be on your way to your new life. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, James.
Will be watching for your first update and hope to hear from you soon.
@JamesW57
 
Thank you all for thinking of me. I am really late updating my status. I got caught up in my insurance transition and it caused a delay. My new date is 19 February at 12:30.

JCX, I hope your revision went well. When you feel up to it I would really like to hear about it. Take care.
 
James ... I am looking forward to hearing about your journey .... I am 14 months in but while not having the pain that I used to have my knee remains to be a work in progress .... I had 2 second opinions with doctors in the same group so although they took the Hippocratic oath ... I am suspect that they are all in cahoots. Next week I see another doctor from a different group. I had it all ... scrapping, dry needling, aspirations (negative), stimulus shock therapy, EMG nerve tests, and so on besides 6 months of PT ... My knee still feels foreign, and I still experience pain at night, and very tight all day but strangely, my ROM is good like 130 degrees +. I am going to check into the Patella Baja with the new doctor next week that was referenced in your thread as walking up stairs remains painful. I'm on the peloton 2-3 times a week. When I am inactive as I was last week due to an illness, my knee starts to stiffen up.
Like you I am looking for answers ... this is not what I signed up for as I was looking for enhanced quality of life at my age after my TKN but regretfully its been much worse.
 
One week to go, James!
Wishing you the best and lots of comfort as you wait out this last week before your revision.
Take care!
@JamesW57
 
Layla,

I cant Thank you for your thoughts as I approach this revision. Its like I said before it is strange to be so apprehensive/nervous but at the same time excited! I am guessing a lot of it is the last year and a half waring on my mind. That said, I am ready to go! Thanks again.

@mtcwp Great move going outside the circle. Absolutely nothing against my surgeon but something tells me had i not gone outside I would be heading toward more of the same! Pain, swelling, decreasing ROM. After the new surgeon cleared me for infection he sent me for a bone scan and then showed me the results. There was no doubt that I had loosening in several places. The uptake of radiation was so big he said most likely loosening in several areas. Hang in there and keep pushing for the answers you deserve.

I'll post when I am home post revision and heading toward a normal life again.

James
 
You're welcome!
I'll post when I am home post revision and heading toward a normal life again.
Yes! Please do. We'd love to support you as you heal your way back to the life you love.
We'll be here!
 
@JamesW … I’m so glad to read that BoneSmart has helped you so far in your joint journey. I know that feeling of apprehension and excitement that you feel right before surgery. I had it with all my four joint replacements!

It’s very normal. Surgery is a big deal and you’d be really abnormal NOT to have some thoughts about taking that step. And, the excitement is what we love to hear from our BoneSmarties because it means they’re going into the surgery with knowledge and support and are eager for the better days ahead.

Please be sure to read our Posting Guidelines and membership information. As of January 29th, BoneSmart went to a 2-tier membership program and some of the things you were used to before that date have changed. If you read the links I gave you, you’ll see that as a Basic Member (which is what you are now), you may not get the level of personal one-on-one support in recovery that you need and want. The ability to start a recovery thread and journal your surgery and recovery is only available to members of the Insiders Club. This is where our experienced staff will be focusing their attention as we move forward with our new platform. The Basic Member level is designed to be more of a “research and read” level where you can use the search tools to find threads by topic and read about other members’ experiences. You can also make on-topic posts on existing threads. But you won’t be able to address your questions and concerns to our staff or other members. Please suggest giving one of our subscription options for the Insiders Club a try. I think you’ll find the small subscription price is well worth it. The funds we receive go toward keeping BoneSmart active and online for everyone.

All the best to you on the 19th!!!
 
@JamesW57 . Hi James it's about two weeks since my revision dressing coming off today. The first two days were rough but I've got myself into a routine now. Not on a lot of pain killers I take them after I do my exercises. Happy the revision is over and looking forward to a positive result and I can get on with my life. Hang on in there and I will keep in touch and see how our recoveries are going. Take care jcx.
 
Thank you all for the reply’s and Jcx I appreciate you sharing your experience. I’m ready!
 
Just a quick update. My insurance failed me again so my surgery was cancelled yet again!! 37 year retired military and since TriCare switched to TriWest on 1Jan 25 it has just been a mess. Praying for positive answer!! Talk soon. I’m crushed!!
 
Aww, I am so very sorry, James! :console2:
All of your years of dedicated service and now this. Heartbreaking! Please keep us posted.
@JamesW57
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom