Guest viewing is limited

TKR 16 Days PostOp, Getting Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I figured in the first week on the percocet when it made me doze off that was probably a good thing because rest was good for me at that point. Luckily when I stepped down to the hydrocodone it didn't make me loopy at all.
 
my new knee would let me know when there is an 80 percent chance of rain

Hey there SMenasco, how are you?
I found your question about the knee telling you when it would rain, veeeerrry interesting. I mean, in some parts of the USA, like Juneau, AK it probably will. Then again, in someplace ....... oh, like .... let's say Death Valley, CA it probably won't be accurate. :loll:

Ok, hope I brought a smile to your face. Laughter is the best medicine, you know. :)
 
1ELISEA, friendly people bring smiles with them wherever they go. Thanks for bringing a smile. By the way, I try to play a little each day. I don't think I'm quite ready to do a 3 hour jam session just yet. The dobro neck sitting on my incision, even with a towel, is just a shade uncomfortable after a half hour or so. It'll get better.
 
I'd like to run something by all of you. I am at 9 weeks since surgery. My knee still has slight swelling. I am still on the hydrocodone, taking two 10mg tabs when it wakes me up with a pain level of 6 or 7 in the middle of the night, 2 or 3 times a week. Doesn't bother me much during the day, although it does ache sometimes. I walk fine with no aids. The knee is at about 100 ROM and 0 degrees. I do fine with it except on the days I go for PT. Takes me a full day to get over it. My major complaint is tightness and stiffness in the morning when I get up. The incision looks great. My main concern is as follows: The inside of my knee just below the knee cap is a little warm to the touch and is pinkish red. I haven't noticed how long it has been this way, since it is a little difficult to see. It is an area about 2 inches square. I am not running a fever. We have a surface thermometer and have been keeping track of the readings. My forehead always reads between 97.8 to 98.3. The warm part of my knee where it is pink, runs about a degree or so higher than my forehead. I have heard so many bad stories regarding infection that this reddish area and the fact that it is a slightly warm, has me a little concerned. Anyone else have slight redness at 9 weeks? I'm not wanting to buy trouble but don't want to bother the doctor unnecessarily. Any thoughts?
 
I had some slight redness and warmth in my first knee that lasted somewhere between three and four months, maybe longer. My memories are getting a little fuzzy. I had surgery in February and I was still using ice packs for the warmth in July and August. After that it just prettyvmuch disappeared. My new 12-day- old knee is pretty hot and has ice packs on it almost constantly. Overall it sounds like you're doing really great. Keep up with the icing,resting, and elevation. It does get better, but it takes a long time!
 
ema8447, thank you very much for your comments. Makes me feel a little better. I might wait another week and see how it does. Thanks again!
 
Hey. Its great to hear you are still plugging away. Cant help you with the knee but stay positive and follow the mantras. Remember 9 weeks is not that long when you talk about the trauma your knee endured. Its wouldnt hurt to go to the doctor if you suspect a infection although it may just be typical symptom of a tkr. It wont be too much longer till you will get to enjoy your knee to thr fullest. Also hoping you get that other medical condition under control . Take care
 
If you have a concern about you knee---you are not BOTHERING the doctor---that is his job!!! you are paying him for his expertise!! By all means call the office.

It should not take you a full day to get over pt---tell you therapist to back off. It sounds like h/she is causing some inflammation in your knee-----why would you let the therapist do that??? Tell him/her is it too much and to back off for a week or so. Your rom is good for 9 weeks and you are doing well---but it is still early days----your knee is still Healing--it does not need to be stressed now. You cannot get strength back until the tissues are healed---if the therapist is causing pain and swelling--they are preventing your tissues from healing. Don't let them do that.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 16 Days PostOp, Getting Better
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!! bottomshollow
 
Wednesday marks 9 weeks since LTKR surgery and I am finally turning the corner on this journey. I walk without any aids. I have very little redness, no heat nor swelling. It still aches some and also experience moderately severe pain occasionally. When "Mort" (my new knee) wants attention, he wakes me up in the middle of the night 2 to 3 times a week hurting like hell. I get up and take a couple of 10mg/325 hydrocodones (I'm a big guy and it takes a big dose to have a satisfactory effect) and the pain leaves fairly quickly. There are days when I require no pain meds at all. Other days, I might have to take 2 or 3 hy'dones. My last PT session is Monday and back to the OS Wednesday. Extension is zero and ROM is 110. I am assuming he will discharge me. Thanks to all the knowledgeable ladies on this forum for all their moral support and great information. In fact, early on I was having a rough time during one PT session, and told the therapist that I was through having pain during his sessions. He said I couldn't progress without experiencing some pain during manipulation. I told him I had been informed otherwise and supported a different viewpoint and would continue with him as long as he proceeded without causing any pain. Otherwise, other arrangements would be forthcoming. No more problems.

All the site principals and moderators are to be commended for the fine service you are providing. All of us that have been attacked with a chain saw only need to follow your instructions to achieve a positive outcome. Thank you again so much. I will say that even though my other knee is also bone on bone, it's going to have to really be barking before I do this again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom