Guest viewing is limited

TKR 16 Days PostOp, Getting Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the Georgia O'Keefe quote, "When one door closes, another opens" has been the mantra of my life. There are lots of things I no longer do--but equally lots of things that I am just discovering.

I have been a ski instructror for the last 15 years and am almost ready to move on to cross country racing!!
 
So, in a couple of hours, I have my first post op appointment with my surgeon. It has been three weeks today and I am doing fine, especially now since, with assistance from the knowledgeable moderators on this site, as well as all the positive comments, I was able to extract head from butt. My PT-measured ROM yesterday was 112. My torture rack will only go up to 110. I think the doctor might assign me to outpatient physical therapy (I guess that's what it's called) for however many sessions are approved by Medicare/BCBS; 12, I've been told. In this area, we have a nonprofit operated by Native American tribal govt. and another for profit facility. I'm selecting the for profit folks. I'll report back as soon as I receive the straight skinny. Thanks again, everyone. What a great site!
 
1ELISEA, Ida Red thanks you for your compliments. She's solid maple. Her finish is pomegranate (sp?) dark red with a black overspray along the edges. She sounds as good as she looks. Custom-made, just for me, to my specs. Twenty-five coats of hand-rubbed lacquer, built by a small shop owned by luthier Steve Smith in Hendersonville, TN called Red Line Resophonics.
 
Sounds like you're doing great!:thumb:
 
Thank you, kneeper. Met with P. A. yesterday. He disagreed with PT's assessment of 110 ROM Based on the test he asked me to perform, I'm probably at about 100. But just like Mr. Mom; "100, 110, whatever it takes!" I was told I am doing well and have been released to drive, should I choose to. I have been issued a prescription for 12 visits to a physical therapist of my choice for strengthening and increasing ROM. Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom.
 
It can vary a bit day to day. Also I think I did/do better after a little warm up. Also 100 is awesome for the point you are in the recovery.
 
Good report! You're doing very well!
Be aware that ROM measurement can vary by +/- 5 deg, or more, depending on who is doing the measurement, and how well they line up the goniometer with the ankle and hip bones.
 
I will probably start outpatient therapy next week. I am now taking pain medication by the clock. as this forum recommends. However, two acquaintances are saying I should schedule taking of pain medication just before therapy. Another has recommended against this, that medication should continue to be taken by the clock. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
I think the general recommendation from this forum will be to take the meds by the clock, and to avoid taking them just prior to PT. The reason being is that you don't want to mask any pain in PT. If you do, then they may push too hard and you won't know it. This could set you back afterwards with more pain & swelling.
 
I also agree---PT should not hurt you!!! If you need pain meds for pt, then get another physical therapist!!!

take your pain meds by the clock and then go to pt and do not let anyone hurt you!!! I never had any pain in pt---discomfort? maybe a few times. I have full rom in my knees--so you do not need to be aggressive or allow pain in order to get full rom. Take care of yourself.
 
Thank you for your advice, all y'all (Okie plural for everyone). Meds by the clock; that is now my plan. I might mention an event last night. I woke up feeling as if someone was sticking a large darning needle into my incision. It would last a few seconds, then happen again in an hour or so. Frequent enough to effect sleep. I am assuming that this is a function of the nerves that were probably stretched and/or cut during surgery. Additionally, I have no feeling whatsoever in the left side of my kneecap (LTKR). Any other opinions? Thanks.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 16 Days PostOp, Getting Better
SMenasco, the numbness and the sudden sharp pains are all part and parcel of "normal" TKR recovery. Eventually the sudden sharp pains will go away---but you may have them off and on for several months. The numbness will mostly wear off over a longer period of time. Some may remain with you the rest of your life. I still have one small area of numbness after 2 years, but am only aware of it when it touch that area.

And keep in mind, as you are recovering, that every ache and pain you experience is not necessarily from the surgery. Some of them are just the normal aches, pains, and stiffness associated with our age.

It's going to be another two to three months before surgical pain is mostly a thing of the past. Except maybe for the tight rubber band feeling around the knee that doesn't really hurt just makes you aware of your knee. It often stays until 5 or 6 months post op. This really is a long recovery--but it's worth every minute when your final results come in.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Judy is right. That "stabbing" pain that comes and goes has to do with the nerve ends finding each other and reattaching. I think they just send those signals because they love getting your attention!!! It will get better with time. When you get them, try gently massaging the area that hurts for a few minutes. That can calm things down.
 
I am at four weeks post op now and doing well. I failed to mention that just prior to surgery, the P.A. asked if I objected to the doctor inviting students to observe the surgery. Of course, I did not mind a bit. In fact, I was pleased. I am told my surgeon is considered to be one of the best, if not the top knee man in Tulsa. I am told he performs 15 to 20 replacements per week. By allowing students to observe suggests to me that he probably performed the procedure in a textbook manner and if special methods of his design were used, he would explain them to the observers. I had my first PT outpatient apppointment yesterday. I think the therapist knows what he is doing. He said that I am now at 92, less than previously reported. He performed several activities, most of which were not painful, but were slightly uncomfortable at each conclusion. However, this morning, I am really tight and sore, but am somewhat relieved after doing my homework exercises and applying an ice pack. Also, my pain medication schedule is now two 10 mg hydrocodone every six to eight hours when awake. At 6' 1" and 280, one pill doesn't phase me. The eight hour time frame is my design, not wanting to take more of this stuff than necessary. I'm sure if I'm all wet, someone will jerk me up and tell me. If the time schedule doesn't work out in taking the pills just prior to bedtime, the dogs start barking very loud at the six to seven hour time frame. I've noticed that when the hydrocodone kicks in, it is just like flipping a switch. All of a sudden, the pain vanishes. If I take the pills on an empty stomach, things happen in about twenty minutes. If I have just eaten, I plan on about an hour before the pain is addressed. Thanks for listening.
 
I'm not quite sure if you're specifying the pain before bed gets bad at 6-7 hours or in general. I'd say if it usually gets bad by 7 hours you could be going 6 hours for maybe another week. You don't want to chase the pain. But it sounds like you're doing the right thing and gauging how you feel as you stretch the time between pills.
 
Just finished second session at therapist. I was really stiff and sore after the first session. He spent over an hour massaging and manipulating. A couple of times it hurt, I told him, he stopped that particular activity. Felt great after session was completed. He said I was doing really well and at zero, whatever that means. I'm pleased with the activity so far.
 
Sounds like you are doing great. Im sure its a slow process but remember its a marathon not a race. And im in pre op stage.lol. I say that because ive been reading this forum daily since finding out I will be getting a trk in about 9 weeks from today. Too bad you are planning on giving up your bike maybe you will change your mind when you are fully recovered, but do whats best for yourself. anyways congratulations on your new knee sounds like you are doing great. Im purchasing a polar bear ice therapy gizzmo. What are you using ? ICE PACKS ? also the proper way to elevate confuses me already and ive read the mantras, can u tell me how u elevate ? Just want to make sure I do it right. Oh! Are you driving yet ? And stairs. Are they difficult? I ask you these because im a bigger guy 6ft 3 and 260 with average body fat but still that alot of weight. Pain management can be an issue as well because of my size and the 1980s. If you know what I mean . Well keep up the great work and enjoy your music.
 
Thanks, icep707. I did not experience a whole lot of swelling, so I probably don't ice as much as some. I'd say two to three times a day during the first two weeks. Now, about once a day. I use one of those old fashioned ice bags like the fighters use, that has the screw on top. I just keep it in the refrigerator filled with water. I put a few ice cubes in it when I need it, then return it to the refrigerator, so it's always ready to go without much trouble. So I don't mess with freeze packs that I have to wrap up or other bulky ice delivery systems. The bag works great. Regarding elevation, I just sit in my recliner with it back, and my knee is a little higher than my body. Actually, I sold my bike due to reflex problems as opposed to knee problems. It was time I quit. I was released to drive at three weeks since it is my left knee. Stairs are handled the same as before the surgery. I start off with my right foot and go up one stair at a time. The new knee joint is doing fine. It's the musccles, tendons, etc. that are still sore, so I can't lead off with my left just yet. Regarding my pain management, re-read my first post on this thread. I had a huge problem with constipation and diverticulitis. I take eight 10mg/325 hydrocodone pain pills a day, two every six hours. I'm large, so one pill is kinda like peeing in the river - doesn't make a lot of difference. About every three days, I see how far I can go without them, just to make sure I'm not becoming dependent on them. So far, no problem. Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom