Bilateral TKR 15month update....finally normal

Thanks @Josephine. I'm 9 months postop so ROM of 70ish is confusing and concerning to me. It was measured right around 90 when I was released by my OS and PT in December and I have more bend now than I did then.

Or are you saying my
L knee forms an acute angle of 70 degrees (20 degrees past 90) so ROM = 90+20= 110 L
R knee forms and acute angle of 74 degrees (16 degrees past 90) so ROM = 106 R

:rolleyes: I've no idea what your equations mean! Here is a chart that shows how these numbers are calculated

knee ROM small.jpg

Another explanation:
- maximum bend as shown on the chart is 155 degrees
- sitting on a chair with the foot on the floor it's 90 degrees
- having the leg out straight as in laying down or standing, it's 0 degrees
- being unable to lay the leg completely flat means it's in the + area (plus) so +10 as shown (red flag)
- if , when keeping your thigh flat on the bed you are still able to lift your foot off the bed by an inch or so, then it's minus 10 degrees or -10 degrees (blue flag)

But I do apologise, I got the numbers wrong!
What I should have said is Right 103, Left 113. Much different!

But I do apologise, I got the numbers wrong!
What I should have said is Right 103, Left 113. Much different!

Thank you, those numbers make much more sense to me, since I knew I was at least 90 in each knee.

Once again, my problem child right knee is lagging behind.

There's still plenty of time for your right knee's ROM to improve.
Just as an example, to reassure you:
This is what one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"

10 month update:
Not much change from my 9 month update.
  • Bend still around 105 in R knee and 115 in L knee.
  • The tight band feeling, especially when first moving after sitting a long time, is still present but is slightly less tight feeling.
  • I continue to rebuild strength and stamina through daily activities and hiking.

Thanks for the update. I've been following your thread and agree that the process of rebuilding strength and stamina is an ongoing part of recovery. It's daunting sometimes how far away we are from where we want or need to be. It just takes time, is all. It took years to lose that strength, and takes a while to get it back.

They aren't kidding when they say it can take up to a year or longer to recovery. Thanks for the update and I'm glad the tight band feeling is less.

Even though you still have goals you would like to reach, it is inspirational to see the positive milestones you have accumulated through your journey! Thank you for sharing each month.

11 month update:
Minor changes from my 10 month update.
  • No change in my L knee flexion, but the R knee finally caught up to match. The bend in both knees is around 110-115.
  • The tight band feeling is sometimes still present when first moving, but is slightly less tight feeling. Some days I don't notice it at all.
  • The numb spot on the outside of my R knee is completely gone. It is still present on the left, but the size of it is getting smaller.
I just scheduled my 1 year follow up for next month. I suspect the appointment to be about 30 seconds long, with my doc saying "Everything looks great! See you in another year."

It took a while to get there, but you now have a reasonable ROM, one that will allow you to do almost everything.
I'm really glad for you.

1 year update:
Went to see my doc for my 1 year checkup. All looks good and I come back in 2 years unless I have any problems before that.
  • The bend in both knees is around 110-115. He said I could continue to improve for up to 5 years! Much better than the 90 degree bend I had before surgery.
  • The left knee clunks a lot. He said he needed a larger spacer, so there is some looseness, but nothing to worry about since the knee is stable and the clunking doesn't hurt
  • The tight band feeling in the left knee is gone but is sometimes still present in the right knee when first moving, but is slightly less tight feeling. Some days I don't notice it at all.
  • The numb spot on the outside of my R knee is completely gone. It is still present on the left, but the size of it is getting smaller.

What an excellent report! You're getting around, improving still, and don't have pain. As for the clunking, but stable, knee --it will just have to be one of the many things that makes you unique. :egypdance:

Sounds like a good report and you're getting your hiking in. I'm glad to hear your tight band is gone and is getting less and less. I'm approaching my 10 month anniversary and still have quite a bit of discomfort with that tight band. This is a real journey to continue building strength without making the knee(s) mad in the process! Looking forward to your continued reporting.

1 year 3 months update:
I feel confident in saying that all the post surgery healing is finally done and my knees are now the new post-op normal for me.
  • The bend in both knees is around 115-120. This allows me to to everything I could do presurgery, plus more. I can finally comfortably sit on a barstool/high top table at a restaurant. I hadn't been able to bend my knees enough to do that since I was in my teens!
  • The left knee clunking has settled down some. It still clunks in certain positions, but not as bad or as often as it did earlier in recovery.
  • The tight band feeling is totally gone in both knees, so I no longer feel like I am aware of my knees every time I move them. Movement feels completely natural to me now.
  • Still have a numb spot on the outside of my L knee but the only time I really notice it is when I shave my legs.
  • Best thing about the new normal is that I have functional knees and I no longer spend mental energy planning how to accommodate bad knees. I don't have to psych myself up to use stairs or plan how to step around (instead of over) an obstacle. I get on the ground/floor a often as I want and don't have to worry about IF I will be able to get up (still awkward). I don't have to worry about walking on uneven surfaces anymore, or have the fear of my knee locking or buckling anymore.

Oh yay, there’s hope! Thanks for the update! I’m glad it finally came together for you!

Just when I was ready to give up I returned to Bonesmart after not posting for awhile and this thread gave me new hope. I thought by 11 months I would have my life back. I had a knee ablation 4 weeks ago but still have much pain. Just have to hang in there.

Good to know. Positive posts give us hope

2 year update.
Knees are still doing great. The left knee still klunks and my final bend in both is about 120 degrees. Not enough to squat or sit on my feet (have never in my life been able to do that) but enough that I can comfortably sit on a bar stool or tuck my feet behind a chair leg (first time in my life I can do either).

Kneeling is possible but still feels weird, so I only do it when I have to.

Best thing is I have finally got used to a stable knee going down hills, walking on uneven ground, or stepping over things without swinging out my leg. I no longer watch every step and worry about pain or falling.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom