Guest viewing is limited

TKR 13 Months Out and Sore<

Yay, a good outcome! You did right calling your doctor.
 
Another weird thing! With question. I could sleep on my side. Should I?
 
I kept a pillow under the length of the leg. They were actually ok with that at the hospital when I explained I wasn't saying a pillow just under the knee itself.
 
Yes thank you kneeper. I know what you mean. A nurse helped me to this position one night

I am finding it strange because it was 4 months before I could manage it on my own with the left knee replacement.

I guess it goes along with every knee behaving differently.
Kathryn
 
I'm a side sleeper so I tried very early on, but it was difficult. I could only manage a short time at first.
 
I put a pillow between my knees and tried to sleep on my side. I wouldn't stay there long at first, but eventually I did! I'm also a side sleeper and couldn't wait to get back there.
 
Hello friends. I’m looking for kind words and support today. 5 weeks post surgery today. I have been unwell with nausea and diarrhoea all weekend. My body has had enough of oxycodone ER 10 mg twice a day. This happened on my last knee and I withdrew cold turkey. I swore I wouldn’t do this fast withdrawal again. Withdrawal was the worst part of the tkr for me. Im dreading it.

So... I have decided to try only one oxycodone at night. Haven’t taken one today. I feel awful. Sick in stomach. Dull in the head. Trembly and blah. My knee is good I can manage that part. I have tramadol if I need it.

Thank you for being here.
K
 
I’m so sorry. :console2::console2:
 
I’m so sorry you feel bad. I’m glad you’re not going cold turkey this time. Hopefully when you take it tonight you’ll get some relief from the awful withdrawal symptoms. Is the medicine in pill form so you could break them in half if need be?

Hang in there and good luck!
 
Hi all,
I am now 13 months post left tkr and 7 months right tkr.
I am back doing daily housework etc and part time work. Most evenings I’m still very sore and have some swelling. I take 1000mg of paracetamol at night to sleep. I am very stiff and sore in the morning.
I have used my Fitbit for a few days just out of interest to see how much walking I do during the day.
Today a big day at 6,700 steps I have iced and am sore mostly behind the left knee. The left knee is always worse than the right. When I do very little it feels better.
I wish I was without this pain and swelling after this length of time.

My questions are
Am I doing too much?
Should I go back to the OS?
I look forward to hearing some ideas
Kind regards
Kathryn
 
My guess is that yes, you are doing too much. Especially as the elder knee is worse. You could try cutting down to just about nothing, if possible? See what happens?
 
@Xmasknee56 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the thread title for you. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
The simple answer is "Yes, you're doing too much for this point in your recovery."

Your body is showing you this is the case because you improve when you slow down. So take this cue and scale it back. By pushing, you're only delaying your recovery even more. And, in case you're wondering, it's quite likely the reason your older knee hurts more than your newer one is that you are favoring the new leg and putting more stress on your first TKR.
 
Thank you Jamie and Roy. I really want to be doing the walk on the beach and the farmers market and outings with grandchildren. It is a long and frustrating journey.
More ice and rest for me
Kind regards
Kathryn
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Thank you Josephine more than willing to answer questions.
Kathryn
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] 13 Months Out and Sore<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. It’s early morning now
Today
1-2. Mostly stiff
Sunday after farmers market and beach stroll 6700 steps 6-7 evening and next day

2. 1000 mg Paracetamol on going to bed.
Have just bought a tens machine

3 slight to moderate

4. ROM 100. When swollen less
0 INTO. Minus left knee.

5. Icing after walks or when sore

6 not elevating

7. Quite active. Have been on holiday. No paid work on atm.
Housework. Little gardening. Minding grandchildren overnight. 1 day a week. School holidays
Max 7000 steps over a whole day occasionally this seems to be connected to more stiffness and pain.

8. No exercises. Daily living.
No PT


Thanks Josephine

Regards
Kathryn
 
1. Pain: 1-2. Mostly stiff
Well, to be expected at 7 weeks out
2. 1000 mg Paracetamol on going to bed.
Okay
3 slight to moderate swelling
Hmmm ....
4. ROM 100/0
0 is neutral so there would be no plus or minus! Not a great ROM
7. Quite active. Have been on holiday.
Housework. Little gardening. Minding grandchildren overnight. 1 day a week. School holidays
Max 7000 steps over a whole day occasionally this seems to be connected to more stiffness and pain.
Okay
8. No exercises. Daily living.
No PT
Okay.

Not a lot of information there for me. What did you mean when you complained of soreness? (in your first post)
 
Thank you Josephine. The pain and swelling is very variable I think depending on activity and the shoes I am wearing. I just soldier on and only seem to notice

That was a goodish morning.
Today is about 5-6 Going to take to paracetamol now. Very stiff and sore. Can only put my trousers on with great effort so suspect the Rom is bad today. My friend say my swelling is moderate. I will try to measure my Rom again.

I guess I am frustrated. My 3 grandchildren are here making grave markers for the dead hens grave. I want to be up with the play.

I’m over a Year out for the left knee and that is the sorest. The 7 month old is doing good as expected for her age. Lol

Thanks again
Kathryn
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom