Guest viewing is limited

TKR 13 Months Out and Sore<

I had a raised toilet seat already but next time I think I will add something with arms to the setup. My tub is one of those corner types, so it’s higher than others and the toilet is next to it, so I was able to push up from that on one side. I want arms next time, though.
 
I have comfort height toilets (not quite as high as a regular toilet with a riser, but higher than usual toilets) and I got toilet rails like the ones in the picture for the one that didn't have anything handy to push on. They didn't attach to the toilet or anything, so could also be moved to be used with chairs if needed! (I never did need them for that, but my elderly FIL who lived with us eventually did.)

Having something to push on/hold while lowering is really helpful in the early days.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 13 Months Out and Sore<
    71vNVQ8ud7L._SX522_.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 367
Having something to push on/hold while lowering is really helpful in the early days.
This is helpful even later. At 4 months post op we visited friends for a weekend
and I had an awful time all weekend with their regular lower height toilet and nothing near by to help me get up.
(I’ve also had higher toilets for years, so even before surgery the lower ones were a challenge)

By the time I got home I could hardly bend my knee at all. It caused quite a set back.

I now have a lovely portable raised seat to take anywhere with me so that doesn’t happen again. Bring a sew-er I made a denim tote bag to carry it in.

Another thing I will do differently next time-ask for help if I need it even if I am embarrassed to ask! The friends we visited were 2 of our best friend’s. The guy is very handy. I think if I had explained my problem he would have come up with something to help me. But I didn’t and did some damage to my whole leg that weekend.
 
Last edited:
I never needed a raised seat with the first knee, but not sure with the second knee since my first one is in recovery mode still. So today I started "practicing" getting off the toilet with just my left leg. If I still have trouble by the end of July I can order one.
 
Hmmm! Good idea practising letting my new knee leg doing the leading before the second replacement. I do wonder how the first will cope when it gets to be In charge!!?

I will hire a toilet seat with handles to support when I hire my shower stool.

Thank you my second tkr friends.
Kathryn
 
Five sleeps to go before number 2. I’m scared and anxious. I contracted salmonella last week. Had antibiotics and GP and OS assure me all should be fine. I feel less resilient and resourceful. And why would I do this again.
Just saying to those who really understand. This is taking all the courage I can muster.
Kathryn
 
I totally understand! My partial is not going well, I’m scared a revision is in my future, sooner rather than later. :yikes:

Best wishes for this surgery!
 
Number two is done. I have a matching pair. OS said the bone was in worse condition than the left. I was conscious most of the second. Listened to music and the work!! I think light anaesthetic because of tachycardia. The block is still in and paincontrol is good. I had a comfortable night and some chunks of sleep. All going as expected. Staff and nurses a kind and efficient.
Day 2 coming up. Yay shower, toilet and walk hopefully. It’s nice to know the ropes.
 
Ps. The prosthetics are a BALANSYS. Does anyone know more about that brand of full name etc?
 
Best wishes for your second recovery!

I sure wouldn’t want to hear any of the surgery! You’re a better woman than me!!
 
Yay xmasknee56 - I know you’re relieved to have the second one done! I’ll be having my second one done later this year. I’m glad they have your pain under control and that you’re getting good care from the staff. Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery!
 
Hello friends. I came home yesterday. Everything is standard. Much happier here. The nurses and doctors were kinds however the old saying is true. There’s no place like home.
I had quite a rough painful night settling in and getting comfortable. This will get better.
One thing the PT is very firm about is ‘nothing under the knee. Keep it flat’
Last night I resorted to folding a small scarf and putting it under my knee like a little bolster.
Does anyone have thoughts about using something under the knee at this stage?
Kathryn.
 
I always had a little bend in my knee and was much more comfortable.
 
Thank you jockette and sistersinhim. I will go back and read some.
A little bend does help.
Kathryn
 
Hello. I am 10 days post right tkr. And have a red, itchy and hot wound. It has healed well and there no ooze. I have a normal temperature

Should I be concerned?
K
 
I think that's pretty normal. Old wives say that itching is a sign that it's healing! My certainly did itch and was purple if I was up for a while. If you are still concerned you can always call your doctor.
 
Thank you Sistersinhim. I texted my OS a photo he called to say the skin looked inflamed. Maybe allergic to something and to apply an antihistamine cream. Not on the glue. Just outside edges. It worked a treat and calmed me down. Lol
:heehee::heehee: The redness and itch in going away.
Kathryn
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom