Guest viewing is limited

THR 12 weeks post op issues

I went to the 2nd opinion surgeon today. He measured the implant angles and thinks it is well positioned and looks good. He ordered blood work for ESR and CRP just to make sure there isn't an infection possible. Ordered me 2 weeks of steroid pills and a prescription for Diclofenac. Continue PT. He said since I had hip dysplasia and the new implant is now in the correct position, that all my soft tissue has to catch up and get used to that new position. I hope he's right because I still feel really bad. Thank you everyone for being so wonderful and supportive!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Nsarova for updating us. It sounds like your appointment went well and I’m sure the meds will help, and it’s also about time. Your body has to recover from the major surgery and adjust to a different gait, which changes post op, and in the joint itself because of the previous dysplasia there’s been major adjustments which will take time to settle. It’s a long recovery anyway and patients often report improvements well after the 12 m.
When I had diclofenac in the past I have found it very good. A good friend of mine had a THR in early February and she is doing better now but is still not back at work, it’s a standing job. I hope you feel reassured, knowing all is well and you can relax a little and let your body do its thing. I know it’s frustrating as we always just want to get on and get our lives back.
 
Sounds like your appointment went well and exploring any possible infections will also help you to try & relax and let the healing continue. I have no clue your level of discomfort but this is a very long and sometimes arduous recovery.
Keep us posted.
 
I am sorry you're still struggling. While tests may reveal there is no infection and the surgeon's words temporarily feel reassuring, my guess is it all feels like cold comfort as you continue to deal with pain. I hope the meds help, PT continues to be gentle and the pain slowly eases. Please stay in touch and know that we're here for support always.
@Nsarova
 
He said since I had hip dysplasia and the new implant is now in the correct position, that all my soft tissue has to catch up and get used to that new position.
I don't have hip dysplasia, but I walked around on a bad hip for much too long before having my first THR back in 2019. The soft tissue pain in my leg, hip and back lasted for months. Since it was my first joint replacement recovery, I had no idea what was normal and was really worried that something more was wrong.

Like your doctor, mine explained that my body had changed its alignment slowly over time as the hip deteriorated -- so gradually that I probably didn't notice until the hip was really bad. He told me to try to be patient because "it took a long time for those soft tissue to get used to the bad alignment and it would take a long time for them to adapt to the corrected alignment."

I hope it helps you to know that it did get better with time and movement. My PT helped by targeting certain muscle groups. I also saw a massage therapist to help release some of the really tight areas. By about 10 months post-op, I felt great and was able to do everything that I wanted to do. I'm hoping you will find the same.

Meanwhile, I'm sending hugs
:console2:
 
Thank you benne68! The original surgeon didn't explain anything and I'm thinking something is seriously wrong with the implant and that he's trying to hide that something is wrong because I'm not hitting the recovery timelines that most others are. That 2nd opinion surgeon really took the time with me to explain everything and I'll be more patient and kinder with myself from here on out. My head was filled with darkness and the depression was crippling. Probably my emotional state didn't help matters with healing. I'm planning on going on light duty at work at the beginning of July. I work in a prison so there's no way I'm going full duty until I feel really good.
 
He said since I had hip dysplasia and the new implant is now in the correct position, that all my soft tissue has to catch up and get used to that new position.
I'm glad you found a surgeon that would explain things to you. What the said seems to be a logical explanation. My both hips were bad for many decades so I knew going in mine would be different then what I'd been dealing with. If you look at what they do to us to perform the surgery it's incredible that we recover in the way we do. It is a common procedure but pretty uncommon for our bodies!
 
The original surgeon didn't explain anything and I'm thinking something is seriously wrong with the implant and that he's trying to hide that something is wrong because I'm not hitting the recovery timelines that most others are.
Hi,
I am wondering if you raised this concern with the OS you just met with? If so, did he offer you any reassurance?

It's understandable that we easily allow our minds to wander to the "bad place" when we're not feeling well, when we're worried / anxious, or in physical pain. However, you're right that your emotional state can affect the healing process. Heightened levels of anxiety, stress, depression are associated more pain and slower wound healing. Stress affects inflammation, our immune system, our sleep, and the healing process (tissue repair) in general.

Hopefully you're feeling more confident in your recovery after your second opinion. July 1st will be here before you know it. This gives you several more weeks of healing under your belt. I hope you feel ready to return to work when the time comes. It's good to know you can have extra time though, if you need it.
Please keep us posted, we're here for support always. May today be a good day! :)
 
@Nsarova I’m so sorry about your struggles. It parallels my journey in so many ways. I don’t know if it helps or not to know someone else has lived it and come through on the other side. I do know the pain, the frustration, the down days. You just have to keep slogging through. There are still options. They’re just frustratingly slow to become reality.

I also could feel the psoas impinging on the cup. Mine would feel like a grating slide and then hurt enough to make me have to catch my breath. It would continue to be sore a day or two until the next time. You figure this can’t help it to “calm down.” I’m wondering why they haven’t suggested a steroid injection to help with pain, inflammation directly, and for a definitive diagnosis. Perhaps, once they’re done rechecking the blood markers, they might consider it, if negative.

There is still the pressure point manual release a trained PT could do. It does wonders for a tight psoas. It might hurt at first and take more than one time but it’s a good non-invasive option in the meantime. In my non op leg, which had a very tight psoas affecting my back, it felt so much better after the first session.

I’m glad you’re not going to tackle a full work schedule at first. It’s hard to cut back if you start full right away. Everyone expects you to be 100% if you do when you feel anything but. Again, speaking from experience. We’ll be right here for you, supporting you all the way. Keep us in the loop.
 
Checking in to see how you are feeling, @Nsarova, since it's been a couple of weeks since your last post. Hope things are improving a little and that you are still planning to go on light duty in July.

Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
I'm moving around better but got even more swollen because I'm doing more. It looks like a soccer ball strapped to my thigh. I just don't understand this swelling at all.
 
I'm sorry, Nsarova. It sounds like you're dealing with some significant swelling. Have you heard back on the bloodwork? Also, wondering if the second opinion OS wants you to check back with him?

It's unfortunate you're struggling with the swelling as you're getting closer to your return to work. Hopefully this won't interfere with your specific duties there. It is great you're moving around with more ease, that's progress. :thumb:

Thanks for updating us. I hope you have a peaceful evening and the swelling eases for you soon.
@Nsarova
 
Hey there Layla! My C-reactive protein was <0.5 mg/dL, normal. The sedimentation rate was still high at 52 mm/hr but trending downwards compared to April, when it was at 67. Looks like there's still a lot of inflammation going on. I see the 2nd opinion surgeon again next week to try and get cleared for light duty and to check on this extra swelling. This has been grueling and so confusing.
 
If you're elevating less, you may want to go back and dedicate some time to that daily and see if it helps.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

I will also leave instructions on an exercise that a former staffer, shared on occasion. Forum Advisor, CricketHip, was involved in Therapeutic Massage. This exercise is to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Not long ago I read - After a sports injury or surgery, lymph vessels can become overwhelmed with the demand placed on them. When tissues are swollen, deep tissue techniques may actually cause damage to the lymph vessels and surrounding structures. Lymphatic massage is often the treatment of choice, because it helps the body remove proteins and waste products from the affected area and reduce the swelling. This helps reduce pressure on cells and allows them to reproduce faster to heal the body.

If so inclined, give it a try and see if you notice a difference.
All the best!
@Nsarova
 
Hello Nsarova,
It's your four month anniversary, to date. Happy Anniversary. I wish you a pleasant weekend and all the best with your appointment next week. Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you and we care.
@Nsarova
 
I am so sorry you are going through this. I had 3 PAO's to treat severe hip dysplasia, before I was eventually able to have a replacement on the left side 4 yrs ago now. I ended up having a lot of pain inside the join close to my groin. My surgeon eventually realized I have a psoas tendon rupture, and he said it cant be treated. When I get into my vehicle(drivers side)I literally have to physically grab my knee and swing it into the vehicle, because of the amount of pain it causes.

It sounds like the surgeon is on top of things to try to figure things out. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
 
Saw the 2nd opinion surgeon again today. CT scan was ordered to see if the implant is positioned correctly and check on this giant fluid mass that grew on my thigh this past week. Doing a hip aspiration tomorrow to check for infection. No good news really.
 
I'm glad that the surgeon has ordered testing. Sending prayers that there is no infection.

Please keep us posted.
 
I'm sorry you have to go through this, Nsarova. I hope the CT scan and tomorrow's hip aspiration provide your OS with clear answers so you're able to fully recover. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Please update us with any news, we do care. :console2:
@Nsarova
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom