TKR 12 weeks and Knee-Cation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the help of xanax after TKR (and before TKR, for sleep). Be careful that you use it very seldom. It indeed would be better to have an antidepressant. I became physically dependent on xanax with just .25 mg at bedtime. Getting off it involved 8 horrible weeks of weaning and then two months more of neurological withdrawal and so xanax went from a great sleep inducer to turning my dismal TKR recovery into living hell. I knew it was highly addictive but I didn't realize how horrible the withdrawal can be. If you are struggling, then maybe a SSRI or tricyclic might give you a better and safer relief. On the other hand, I want to assure you that at the 3-4 month mark, things start to ease up. I can tell you are worried and that maybe like me, you don't do well with the waiting game. I found it impossible to have faith that things would work out. I didn't feel like myself. I was in a terrible rut. You are not alone!
 
Deb: Yes the mood swings are crazy which is what I have felt like I might be. :) I will be cautious about NOT overdoing anything.

Jo: I am on Percuset and take approximately 5Mg every 5 - 6 hours or so. If I need more after PT I take it. Good point on the goals, I actually wondered about that when i was writing it. I am used to setting goals BUT a goal only works when I have full control over the outcome and in this circumstance I don't. Thanks Josephine for the reminder. Maybe a better goal is "do the best I can each day". When returning to work I will be super cautious to NOT get caught up in the work rut. My health, the PT on my knee and my rest is the most important thing to me at this time. There is a part of my that feels thinking of other things rather than my knee 24x7 will be good for me. :)

Mary:
If you are struggling, then maybe a SSRI or tricyclic might give you a better and safer relief
What is an SSRI or tricyclic? Excellents points on the Xanax, i have known how addictive it is but in the state of mind I am in I just don't care. I think that maybe I need to call my regular doctor about this.

I want to assure you that at the 3-4 month mark, things start to ease up. I can tell you are worried and that maybe like me, you don't do well with the waiting game. I found it impossible to have faith that things would work out. I didn't feel like myself. I was in a terrible rut. You are not alone!
Mary you explained me perfectly and now I am crying. LOL Yes I am extremly worried nearly 24 hours a day and it is affecting so much here at home. I try to "be OK" but I am not. I usually am strong mentally which is required for my long distance cycling events but with this TKR I simply have fell apart and feel mentally out of control. Mary thank you for listening and simply understanding. Knowing I am not alone and that this WILL END helps.

On a brighter note, I truly enjoyed my 15 minute hot tub time this evening, very relaxing and peaceful.

All my best to each and every one of you!
 
SSRIs are things like Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Prozac, etc. They are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They even out the highs and lows. Tricyclics were the class of drugs used prior to SSRIs, which seemed to work better, but there's been a trend back to tricyclics. They can help with sleep and pain as well.

I know what you mean when you say you don't care about the consequences of xanax, but if you'd spent even an hour in my shoes when I was in withdrawal, you really would care very much.

The worry cycle is very very hard to break. It's almost as if some of us are wired for it. I'm not a worrier. If anything, my problem was discouragement. If I had to go back and do it again, I'd aim for more faith, but then I also know that sometimes you cannot drum it up even with motivation and effort. It was a slow, dark time and I'm not sure I could've made it any different. Enjoy your hot tub, and try to fill your day with simple pleasures. I listened to a lot of Django Rheinhardt and other music I loved, indulged in things that unfortunately made me gain weight, and read. But, ultimately, the true healer and cure is Time.
 
Maybe a better goal is "do the best I can each day"
Better yet, just see what each day brings and be grateful for whatever gains you make.

I also had moments of looking at me knee and giving myself the willies thinking it wouldn't work out right. But then I figured that my surgeon was pretty confident it would and he's seen a lot more of the long term outcomes than I had so I finally decided to trust him and see what happened. As things turned out, he was right!
 
It's been a long time(2 years) since I was where you are, and I remember all the advice and repeated mantra of "we all heal differently". Like you, my attitude was, yes, I get it, but... I should be doing better!

For what it worth, looking backward I will say this, at a year post op we are all pretty much in the same place. And more importantly it's a really. really good place. You will be there too. Slow down, listen to your knee, it's the boss right now.

Good luck.
 
Oh yeah, doing just fine. My knees are the healthiest part of me now. I've hiked from the rim to the river at the Grand Canyon, Biked the KATY trail in Missouri, hiked sections of the Appalachian trail and canoed the Missouri River in Montana following the path of Lewis and Clark.

All of it and more completely pain free and without limitation.

It's good to have new knees!!!
 
Hi Brenda - I have just "found" you and your thread. You are getting such wonderful advice here - Bonesmart is filled with caring folks who truly know what you are going through because we've been there ourselves - to varying degrees. I don't know how your quad and pain at the hip are doing, which you attributed to the valgus. I suspect you are correct. I also had very severe valgus prior to my surgeries, which my OS corrected. When you think about it, all those muscles and tendons along the outsides of your legs have now effectively been stretched out and suddenly. They are not happy. And each one has attachment or insertion points in different locations, including around the top of the tibia. It seems quite likely that the pain you are experiencing, even in the tibia, is from the stretching necessary due to straightening your leg. My PT gave me some very specific exercises for that, including clams. Moreover, I would occasionally get aches and pains in seemingly wierd locations like the foot or butt or even arm. But when you think about it, for years we had been compensating for the odd way we were walking and moving with the valgus, and the entire body now needs to readjust to the new vertical you! The great news is it gets better! And the greater news is the amazement you feel every time you look down and see that right foot directly under the right knee directly under that right hip! I am almost a year out on the right (10 1/2 on the left) and still get a chill when I see that.

I hope you continue to have a wonderful recovery. Oh, on the cramps - rather than adding more chemicals to the system, I found a wonderful little homeopathic called "Leg Cramps" which did the trick for me. That and lots of water - got to keep those muscles hydrated so they can stretch out.
 
It's been a long time(2 years) since I was where you are, and I remember all the advice and repeated mantra of "we all heal differently". Like you, my attitude was, yes, I get it, but... I should be doing better!

For what it worth, looking backward I will say this, at a year post op we are all pretty much in the same place. And more importantly it's a really. really good place. You will be there too. Slow down, listen to your knee, it's the boss right now.
SO TRUE BigGene! You figured me perfectly, I totally understand needing to be patient and that we all heal differently but yuppers.... I feel that I should be doing better. LOL I have written your advice down, "Slow down, listen to my knee as it is the boss". I also added patience, patience, patience.

Jo: I am doing better at being grateful each day for whatever progress is made. Great advice. Essentially CALM DOWN, relax, work hard when required and believe that there are better times to come. :)

NightQuilter: Yup, exactly. The re-alignment from valgus to straight has literally wreaked havoc on my muscles. I am still struggling but am doing lots of stretching, massage, hot tub, etc. and hope and believe that at some point they will settle down. I am literally having to relearn how to walk correctly. Finding the 'new normal' for me. It is truly amazing seeing a straight knee yet feeling like it is all wrong. Thank you for the encouragement and the knowledge that it will get better. I so appreciate your thoughts!!!

My PT gave me some very specific exercises for that, including clams.
I am interested in this, what is the exercise called 'clam'? How do I do it? I will ask my PT if that is something I can do to help

Oh, on the cramps - rather than adding more chemicals to the system, I found a wonderful little homeopathic called "Leg Cramps" which did the trick for me. That and lots of water - got to keep those muscles hydrated so they can stretch out
I haven't heard of this but would like to try it. I saw something called "Myo-Calm" at the massage office today, I wonder if it is the same stuff? I love the thought of using this verses adding another medicine into the mix.

Thank you all!!!
 
I did a lot of massage myself Brenda - a dear friend would bring her table to me, but I am convinced it got so much of the lymph in the lower legs moving and that helped reduce the swelling, and with that pain reduction. My OS thought so too - he started recommending gentle (and trained) shiatsu for his knee patients after being astounded at my lack of swelling at 3 weeks after each knee.:yes!:

DO ask your PT about the clams. You lie on your side, back straight as you can, knees bent forward on top of each other (towel between is fine). After engaging your core muscles, you simply lift the upper knee a little (my PT kept admonishing me for being too aggressive - less really is more!), and bring it back down, and repeat. Then repeat on your other side. It even helped me reengage my glutes, which had fallen into severe laziness as my knees got worse and worse. The motion apparently calls on a whole series of those muscles and tendons all along the outside of the thigh, for both legs. And you can do it in bed, where I did most of my exercises! (Usually followed by another nap!):whistle:

The "Leg Cramps" was actually something my gynecologist recommended. Little tiny pill you put under your tongue to dissolve. Probably not the same as you saw at your massage place.
 
@cycling67- Ditto on the re-alignment from valgus to straight. My IT band felt tender to the touch but is diminishing. Sort of a bruised feeling. Walking is better, but still needs work. I feel uncoordinated sometimes!!:shrug:
 
That bruised feeling explains it perfectly bentknee, and very tender to the touch! I was feeling occasionally uncoordinated up until about 2 months ago. I swear people must have thought I was drunk a couple times! :martini: But I am here to confirm it does get better!!

Bentknne, congratulations on your new knee! How are you doing?
 
Howdy! My knee and I are progressing, thanks for asking:). I am better on flexion than extension, even though I hate flexion stretches more:gaah:. Presumably because the valgus position shortens the tissues on the outside of the knee. But it is almost at 0.

That little biceps tendon is the one that bothers me. I try to be careful so as not to irritate it. But when I am on my feet a while, that is where I feel it the most. Not really bad, but I am aware and try not to aggravate it.

I guess my biggest gripe is still the interrupted sleep. I fall asleep fast but 2 hours later, I am awake. I tell my knee to go back to sleep. If it doesn't, I take a painkiller and get another 4 hours or so. Still I see continued progress and am feeling positive and soooo glad to be among the recovering:egypdance:!
 
Thanks Jo, i had read but obviously not close enough. I re-read and appreciate the article reminder
 
Good Morning Everyone: I need help today, things just feel overwhelming...

Jo: Can you please change the title of this thread to "10 Week Questions (morning stiffness/back pain/knee type)". Thank you so much in advance.

I am feeling completely, over the top, overwhelmed and depressed with this recovery. I still struggle with Flexion ROM but thanks to the forum am on the patient, gentle stretching plan with the belief that my knee will respond when it is ready to respond. My biggest struggle right now is the constant discomfort I feel not only from my knee, but mostly (like 75%) from peripheral areas like feet, hips, lower back, etc...All of this is causing me to not get nearly enough sleep at nigh which of course doesn't help. :zzz: Mornings are just horrible basically just because...

So a few questions that I am hoping the great people on this forum can help me with and put my mind at ease, or at least start the easing process. :)

Morning Knee Stiffness? How long does this take to subside? Every morning it is as if I can barely move my knee.

Knee Type? My doctor, who I really like and trust, determined based on my body type which is fairly small decided to use a knee meant for a boy, meaning I guess larger than womens knee. He showed me how the female knee would not have covered the entire surface so felt this would be a better option. He describes it as giving me the 'Hummer' knee verses the 'small jeep' knee. The knee feels BIG in there and feels like concret. It certainly does feel stable though. :)

Any words of wisdom? Thank you!
Brenda
 
Brenda,

I think your hips and lower back issues are because you are walking imbalanced and sleeping with pressure on lower back. I have the same problems. I sleep with pillows under my knees to take pressure off lower back. It helps a little. As soon as I am able I intend to go to my chiropractor for an adjustment and a full body massage!!!

Best to you,
MM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Brenda just found your thread and I could have written everything you have said myself - which to be honest is such a relief. Hope you feel that too.
I get terrible stiff knees every morning and have difficulty getting out of bed and gaining my balance but gets better once I get moving slowly.

I still find sleeping a luxury from the past. i have a separate bed and room now so that i don't disturb my husband but it is so frustrating not being able to rest. I also find that I start itching the more I can't get to sleep. Think this might be a habit????Not sure what is going on-I know I haven't got fleas though!:happydance:
I too have a pillow between my legs when 'sleeping' and others packed around me to try and get into a comfortable position.

I also find the whole 'knee thing' overwhelmingly frustrating and sometimes depressing, which is so not like me as I have always been such a 'cup half full' sort of a girl - which in itself is so upsetting and bewildering for my husband and close friends that I have confided in. My mood swings are worse than any teenager! Again placid used to be my middle name! Hope this will return soon...
We will climb this mountain together and celebrate when we reach the top.:martini: The one thing I have learned from this is the need to be far more supportive to others as we all need people to share highs/lows with.
 
PS forgot to say I get pain in the back, groin hip etc-( and my husband says neck as well!!!!) I'm sure this is through the straightening procedure that we have gone through in addition to the knee. At least we both have it and are at the same post op recovery time. Hope you're feeling a little better Brenda?:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom