TKR 12 weeks and Knee-Cation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot tub question: OS said I could start trying hot tub (15 sessions@ 101 degrees followed by stretching then ice) to help regain flexion. Have others tried this? Successful? Thoughts??? I like the idea to help with my aching and tight muscles along with cutting back on PT content as previously talked about.

I am 8 weeks post-op today and scar healing nicely.

Note: wanted to change title of thread but I don't know how.
 
Did you have your right or left leg done? If Right leg how is driving?
 
Hi Tweet25: It was my right knee that was replaced. I just barely started driving at 7 weeks post-op. I have enough motion to safely drive, but I am also VERY cautious to not drive if I feel at all loopy from pain meds. However I am not taking enough to make me feel this way anymore except maybe at night.
 
Here is what I did---pt three times a week---I never had any pain in pt. If our pain is an 8 or 9, they are pushing you too hard and they need to scale back. I did almost nothing else. I walked my dog for a couple of miles, every day---slowly at first.

I never did any exercise at home, I just hung out. at eight weeks, I began training harder--but I had NO Swelling at all.
 
Wow skigirl: I don't think I could walk 2 miles right now. thank you for your thoughts. I have scaled back with the hope that it will help. I have PT today and hope to be able to hit 105 which is what I hit on Monday, after warm up of course. Patience to get the flexion is challenging but I am going to try and do better.

Any thoughts on Hot Tub? I have little to no swelling as well, at least that I can see on the outside, with specific instructions from the OS.
 
Brenda, I started using my hot tub about 8 weeks after surgery, when I felt I could safely get in and out (it's a stand-along tub with three steps to get in, so I was very cautious). It felt so good....I'm not sure if it really helped with the flexion/extension but it was sure relaxing! And since my whole body was more relaxed it probably did help the knee as well. Just be very, very careful!
 
OS said I could start trying hot tub (15 sessions@ 101 degrees followed by stretching then ice) to help regain flexion.
It's fine provided you don't overdo the temperature or the time.
Note: wanted to change title of thread but I don't know how.
Only staff can change thread titles. Tell me what you want it changed to and it shall be done!
 
I live where it is cold on top of a mountain basically, so I use an electric blanket at night. I found that along with a muscle relaxant I had less problems with cramping. Now I am just using my blanket. It seems to help relax things during the night, then I ice in the morning.
 
Thank you everyone for the information on the hot tub. I have used it once felt great, mostly just for me not necessarily making knee bend further. Still doing my easy stretches and cutting back on amount.

New question and fear! Today I have started to notice fairly substantial shin pain in leg. Ice not helping actually making worse. Is this normal or is this a bad sign???

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe this is related to the realignment from valgus to straight????

Thank you
 
Hi cycling67 !
I had my RTKR on 8/1/13, so we are pretty close ! I too am suffering from pretty horrible shin pain, and believe there are several of us on this forum with the same symptoms. Some days it is almost disabling. I spoke with my OS, and he feels it is from the tibial implant stem, and being on the leg to much along with a possible stress fracture or at least bone stress. It didn't start until several weeks after my surgery and after starting to use weights in PT. I immediately stopped PT, bought a shin/compression sleeve and am back to using the cane. He said it may take many weeks to straighten itself out but if it hurts to stay off it. I was put on Lyrica, because I have burning along with the shin pain which may be nerve pain. I also have been using Motrin which seems to help. Stay off the leg as much as possible, try using a cane for a little while and see if it gets better. Mine has taken quite a while but is getting somewhat better. Still there, but not quite as intense.
Good luck and let us know how you are , Deb
 
Deb: thank you so much for your reply. Always good to know I am not an 'outlier'. I haven't been using any weights anywhere and am still on one crutch. I will try a compression sleeve which is a great idea and add this to the " be patient" list. It seems that when one pain starts to subside another one appears. :(. This gets so tiring after awhile. Tuns shin pain just showed up at about 7 1/2 weeks post-op.

I w l call OS on Monday to inform him of this new pain so he knows.

Good luck to you and let's stay in touch.
 
Lots of people on the forum complain of shin pain. I don't recall any of those being more than another "speed bump" on the road to recovery.

My dear, it's so so hard to totally understand for those who knee deep in the challenges of TKR recovery, but there is no way to speed up healing or ROM. It just happens. Reminds me of being of the age that a bra gave you status, so anxious were we to have boobs, but wearing a "training bra" didn't make them grow any faster!! Some TKR knees are sprinters -- they get good ROM early -- and others are marathoners and get significant ROM late in the game.

BTW I think the hot tub is a splendid idea. It makes you feel good, and sometimes heat is just the ticket.
 
Here is what I did---pt three times a week---I never had any pain in pt. If our pain is an 8 or 9, they are pushing you too hard and they need to scale back. I did almost nothing else. I walked my dog for a couple of miles, every day---slowly at first.

I never did any exercise at home, I just hung out. at eight weeks, I began training harder--but I had NO Swelling at all.
Oh wow....2 miles? There is not a chance I could walk even 1/4 mile without swelling up like a balloon and I am pushing 4 weeks. I envy your lack of swelling! My ROM is good 125+ and -5 extension and improving. So I need to keep the swelling down. Can't wait till it's gone!
 
Hey,cycling67, if you are returning to work on Monday ,just do nothing tomorrow but rest. The shin pain is relentless & the more you stay off of it, the better it is. Try the Motrin, I can't believe how much it helps !!, I was several weeks after surgery before it hit. My knee feels pretty good , considering I am only 9 weeks post -op. The shin & foot however is awful :(
Hang in there & rest, I hope it gets better!! Some days I can barely walk and other days it is and incredible soreness, but can manage to do stuff. Can't figure it out at all but going with the feeling that it is better then a few weeks ago. All I can do for now!
Take care & let me know how you are doing, Deb
 
Hot tub question: OS said I could start trying hot tub (15 sessions@ 101 degrees followed by stretching then ice) to help regain flexion.
Heat will help those muscles stretch and relax. (Hence the term, "Warming up.") Take it easy, do not overdo the heat, and ice afterwards. I used a heating pad to heat the muscles prior to and uring stretching after my BTKR---it worked quite well.
 
Hey ladies
I don't have shin pain, but varying degrees of calf pain at 9 weeks out. For me I think it has to do with switching from walker to cane and of course too much walking. I notice it is worse on days that I am pushing myself just "to do" things - empty dishwasher, small outing to the store, etc - kind of sneaks up on me. Might also have to do with the realignment. I use both heat and ice as both seem to help at different times. I'm guessing I will need to lecture myself soon since I have been neglecting my elevating & icing. I have experienced a variety of aches & pains on this journey - so far all seem to resolve or morph into something else.
Take care,
Stacie
 
Deb, Mary, Stacie and all, thank you for your thoughts, suggestions and well wishes. I think the Motrin is helping the shin pain and as you mentioned the pain varies from day to day.

I am in my 9th week of recovery and am hoping more ROM will be achieved, however I temper my hope with the knowledge that my knee will heal and bend when it is darn good and ready regardless of what I do. :). Gentle stretching, no pain lead to more gain is new motto thanks to this forum. I am learning to believe and have faith that this recovery is temporary and I will, at some point, be back walking a new dog, riding my bike and not crying each day.

I cannot believe how much I have cried with this recovery, didn't know I had an endless supply of tears, LOL. I use Xanax periodically but in retrospect wonder if I should have started anti-depressants. I have felt that a Positive attitude should prevail but admittedly it is harder done than said.

Small goals is my new plan. My next small goal,is 110 degree flexion and hopefully less muscle pain associated with re-alignment. I am calling OS tomorrow to ask again about Flexoryl.

deb: I return to work on the 14th of October. I am a software consultant who works from home when not traveling so I can actually work while on the couch with leg elevated. :) I am very blessed with my job.

I send my good wishes and positive thoughts to you all as we navigate our own pathway through this recovery. One day, hopefully sooner than later, we will be walking, cycling freely.
 
Brenda, I almost think that anti-depressants should be prescribed after every total knee replacement , even if only for a few months :)
The mood swings are pretty awful. Had a good day yesterday, probably did to much and today am paying for it. I warned my husband this morning that he would be better off just ignoring me today and watching football, yes I am that cranky, haha!!!
I'm so glad the Motrin is helping, just be careful when you start to notice a difference, that you don't over do !!! Trust me :)
I am entering my 10th week, and even though I returned to work 2 weeks ago, I am only staying 6-7 hours a day. My bosses are wonderful, and have seen me through all 3 replacements, so they get it. I will do the same for one more week, then resume regular hours.
Pretty swollen when I get home , so I don't do much after work. I just keep saying it's ok, it will get better and sitting on my butt for a while longer when I have to, is fine. Next summer I will be out doing things I haven't done in 4 years !!! Fall and colder weather is on its way so staying home, not doing much is easier :))
Needed some comfort food so the other day I made turkey, mashed potatoes, cranbury sauce,stuffing & gravy! It was wonderful. I think I am liking food just a little to much right now but whatever. Take care of yourself and easy on the shin, & let me know how you are doing.
Deb
 
Today I have started to notice fairly substantial shin pain in leg. Ice not helping actually making worse. Is this normal or is this a bad sign???
What pain meds are you taking? How much and how often. You are only 8 weeks out yet so should still be taking a fairly substantial amount.
My next small goal,is 110 degree flexion
Never ever set goals. Mile stones in retrospect are okay but never set goals. Just let things happen when they happen.
I return to work on the 14th of October.
I note you are a computer bod sp can pretty much dictate your own mode of working and I am also sure you realise that you will only be 9 weeks out then. I strongly suggest you read this article just to prepare yourself for the impact of recommencing work so early. (I always recommend 12 weeks if at all possible).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom