Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

Yesterday I decided I would see if I could cut down on meds. I’m seven weeks out. I took out one dose of one medication. However by the end of the day my pain score increased to a seven. Obviously it is still to soon to cut down yet.

I’m being extremely cautious about how I go forward during this recovery. I have pondered the whole recovery dilemma a lot of late (I have plenty of time to do this lol). In each of my past recoveries there is a common thread and that is the goal of getting back to work as quickly as possible. Other than the issues that resulted in my needing a TKR revision aside this is what I believe.

To achieve that goal, each time I have employed either an exercise physiologist or personal trainer and/or physio with the objective of strength training to be cleared for return to work. Am I really following the BoneSmart mantra then? I think at the time I believed I was. While I wouldn’t allow anyone to push me too hard etc if I were to be honest I think I became impatient as there was a constant reminder that I needed to return to work as quickly as possible.

I honestly believe that it is beneficial to do nothing in the first month, other than ADLs, adequate pain relief, icing and elevating. I have never done that in any of my previous recoveries. I began exercising immediately from day one. In hindsight I think this set my knee up to fail, in regards to swelling. It started a cascade of exercise, swelling and pain which then continued throughout each recovery. Therefore, while the incision and soft tissue healed and I achieved adequate ROM swelling and pain remained an issue even at a year post surgery.

I have to date, refrained from any formal exercise during this recovery. I have extremely painful sciatica and very acute swelling and pain as a result of two surgeries within eight weeks of each other. I require strong pain relief even at this stage of recovery. Just on that note, I do not feel like I am an addict, I take this medication to alleviate excruciating pain. I have done very little in the way of heel slides or extensions as I fear more swelling. I have, however, been outside with the dogs (one in a stroller I use instead of a walker) and walked down the street and back to avoid cabin fever and deter stiffening.

I have continued to wear a compression sock during the day along with a tubigrip also to avoid increased swelling. Other than that my day involves rest, icing and elevating and minimal housework.

I have a stationary bike. This afternoon I attempted to do a full revolution just out of interest as I have done nothing in the way of formal exercise and have no idea what my ROM is. I was able to do a full revolution straight away and continue to do them. I stopped after a few. Obviously the ROM is there even with the swelling (I’d consider my swelling to be huge even now). I am going to continue to do very little other than ADLs and walking during at least the next six weeks of my recovery in an attempt to avoid swelling.

I believe that like chronic pain, it is possible to set oneself up for a cycle of doing too much, swelling then pain that eventually results in a ‘chronic swelling’ situation that can continue past the twelve month mark in recovery. My comments here are not based on research but based on my own observations and gut feelings and my belief that the BoneSmart way really is the right way to approach recovery post knee replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
I think it is so interesting that some people with a lot of swelling actually have a decent ROM and can do a revolution on the bike. I’m glad you are able to do that.

I have a question for the advisors with medical knowledge, how does the compression stockings and tubigrip help with the swelling? If the leg wants to, or needs to swell, and those things repress it, what happens to that swelling that now has no outlet?

Your experiences prove how different we all are and how we need to listen to the body we have, and not try to fit it into some other body’s mold for recovery. Each knee has its own timetable, for sure.
 
Every one is as different as their knees are different. Every surgery is different. My husband had both knees done at separate times. I thought something was wrong with me because my recovery was “ not the same” I complained more, took more pain medication. He made it look “ easy breezy”. But the reality was he was stoic. These knee replacements are not easy surgeries. I read every’ s story and honor their achievements.
 
I have a question for the advisors with medical knowledge, how does the compression stockings and tubigrip help with the swelling? If the leg wants to, or needs to swell, and those things repress it, what happens to that swelling that now has no outlet?

The TEDS -type compression socks are supposedly to help prevent deep vein thrombosis.
They don't do anything to prevent the knee from swelling.

The full-length compression stockings or tubigrip apply less pressure than TEDS do. They can prevent some swelling. I think the fluid that would have contributed to swelling just stays in your general circulation.
 
I have typed a response to these three times and each time it has disappeared. @Celle I have found the sock and tubigrip help heaps with swelling. The sock covers my knee then I put the tubigrip over the top. Usually by the end of the day the tubigrip has fallen below the knee and my knee has swollen and there is a distinct line where the swelling ends where the sock begins. I guess if you put a sleeve over the hose then the hose can’t expand under pressure. The fluid either remains in the knee above the sock or is reabsorbed by the body and eventually excreted by the kidney. If I don’t wear the sock the swelling is both in the knee and half way down my lower leg.

I find it odd that the OS when asked if I could stop wearing them said I could take them off at night when I move the least but to continue to wear them during the day. How does that work for DVT prevention?? I would assume it would be best to wear them overnight.

@Doreen1063 I thought I would feel the same way and I don’t have to continue wearing them anymore. However, my knee swells so much, I actually find it more comfortable wearing it at the moment. When I don’t wear it the swelling is much worse and the knee feels less secure. There’s a lot more movement without the sock on and I am very aware of thee feeling of the fluid as it increases during the day.

@Mutti3 I think the purpose of my last comment was more a reflection of where I have gone wrong in the past. This knee has had many surgeries over th past four plus years and each recovery has been the same healing wise but it’s always swelling that remains at the end.
 
I find it odd that the OS when asked if I could stop wearing them said I could take them off at night when I move the least but to continue to wear them during the day. How does that work for DVT prevention?? I would assume it would be best to wear them overnight.
I've never been able to understand the logic of that, either.
It seems the wrong way round to me.
 
I’d like to change the name of my thread but I can’t for the life of me think of an appropriate title. I’ve been pondering it for weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle. Besides pain, what are the symptoms of a misaligned prosthesis/implant?
Are you thinking you have misalignment? If so, why?

I'll ask @Josephine to advise you, but it would help if you can post a photo of your leg, showing all of it, from hip to toes, preferably wearing shorts.
 
I can’t. But yes I am thinking that. It looks knock kneed
 
Is there anyone you could ask to take a photo of your leg?
Then you could post it:
Uploading a Picture in a Post

It's still quite early in your recovery, so it's probably normal to still have pain.
 
Oh it’s not the pain. It’s the weird way I’m walking and the knee appears to point in towards the other knee. That’s all.
 
Do try and send a full-length photo of your leg, so Josephine can see what you mean.

Help with gait is something a physio should give you. It's not uncommon for your gait to be "off" for some time after a knee replacement.
 
I got one as straight as I could get it and nearly vomited looking at it. The whole leg is swollen and misshapen and crooked
 
I can’t do better than that.
 
Last edited:
Shelli, that photo is not useful to me. You need to take one that includes hips and knees and barefoot so I can see the position of your foot. Also well illuminated - as you can see, yours has your legs in shadow with bright sunshine behind so I can't figure out anatomical points.

Like this

[Bonesmart.org] 12 months later but can’t find my thread
 
Sorry @Josephine. I can’t do it. I live alone. That’s the best I can do. No matter. Thanks anyway [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom