Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

I read them all too, there’s a lot of learning from both the smooth sailing and the more difficult recoveries.

Same here. I read them all and have done so since I found BoneSmart months in advance of my surgery. Seeing all kinds of recoveries let me know what I COULD be in for, both good and less good. I figured that way I would be prepared for whatever happened. I already knew most TKRs turn out well because I have so many family members with TKRs. They're also ridiculously stoic, so share almost nothing. "Had my knee replaced. Turned out good." So I studied the difficult recoveries because those told me where problems were likely to show up.

Hope your dad is feeling better today and can go home. He'll be much happier there!
 
@shelli22 I like reading your posts. Something about reading about others that are having similar experiences that create a special bond. We are in the same boat together. I also read positive posts because they give me hope that some day I will be well.

About people in pain not getting pain management like the gentleman you mentioned. Just this morning I heard in the news about the opioid crisis and how the government is going after doctors and pharma. They are going to force doctors to reduce the amount of pain medicine. They specifically mentioned knee patients. Doctors in the US are already rationing pain meds in an effort to prevent addiction to opioids. That is ridiculous to me. People in pain need pain medications to heal. Things are about to get worse. I’m contemplating another knee surgery in the future and I’m afraid I won’t be given pain meds to manage pain. My OS will not refill my Oxi prescription which has made me ration the pills I was given (30 day supply).

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack your post. But wanted to encourage you to keep posting. We are here for you and want to hear about your troubles as well as your triumphs.

I hope you have a good week!!

{{{{Hugs}}}}
 
I’ve never read full threads. They make me sleepy! Haha perhaps I should have to help me sleep. Anyway I started reading parts of threads soon after my tkr but really only to find out if what I was experiencing was ok. It’s so good to find out your not alone in ‘heavy knees, non-sleep, excruciating pain, bruising, swelling and other stuff. I am having a bit of a difficult time as still in pain, still not sleeping and still having to ice and elevate with only 15/85 Rom. I get a bit down it’s such a slow process but Bonesmart threads keep me positive as I realise how much better I am than just after the op! I look at my progress month to month rather than week to week! It’s not a competition it’s a recovery and we are all different. Look after yourself, you’re number one priority and don’t feel guilty about it either. Rest ice and elevate and keep posting all your difficulties as we all like to know we’re not alone on this journey.
 
I hope your dad's temp is ok, I ran a low grade fever after both my TKR's, I guess it was just my body trying to heal.
I read post from everyone, though I don't comment on all of them. If I feel I can contribute in some way, I'll comment, otherwise, I usually just read. @Babushelen my OS said here in NC they are only allowed to write a script for a 10 day supply, when I went for my 2 week follow up, he wrote another 10 day supply, and that's it!! I've been rationing too!!
 
I ran a fever for a few days after my surgery, too. My OS said as long as it wasn't above 99.5, not to worry.
 
@SusieShoes I agree there’s so many benefits to reading all both for the reader, and if they post a response then for the poster as well. My dad is better and they let him go home last night. But he is not allowed to elevate, has to keep his leg straight and is not allowed on a recliner plus he refuses to use ice. So I have no idea how he will get the swelling down. I’ve tried to tell him the benefits etc but he is of the old era where the dr is the only one he will listen to. He also eats so little I worry he will not eat enough to gain his strength back. But I can’t say anything. I discussed it with my sister. She can try too to talk to him but I don’t think she’ll have much luck. He has his leg straight and sitting on the table apparently. How can that be comfortable. Sigh.
 
@Babushelen I’m so glad I can help others and yes I agree it does create a bond. We are only just starting this medication issue in Australia. It’s a nightmare. I haven’t had issues because my surgeon knows the agony I’m in and he will just count what I need until I next see him and make sure I have enough. He know I’m in pain. I think you can see it when people are in real pain.

You didn’t hijack my post it was all relevant to what I posted. I hope you too have a good week. Thanks for posting.

@Gel-girl I think you’re right. The best thing about reading these posts is that you realise you’re not alone in what you’re feeling. I have no idea what my rom is and I didn’t ask. I know it’s not good because my knee has affectionately been named frankenknee by my sons girlfriend because it’s so huge and swollen. So I’m not going to be able to bend it far lol. It’s true it’s great for a journal of your progress. I do post the food and the bad because there are others struggling like me and I may find something that others recognise and can investigate about their own knee. Thanks for your post x

@jboles dads fine. At least you read them. It’s not necessary to comment on all of them, I don’t either. Sometimes the conversation doesn’t pertain to me but I feel the topic interesting so I read it but don’t comment. I don’t understand how they think anyone will get through recovery from a TKR in the future without adequate pain relief. I would keel over right now if I stopped the pain relief and I’m not on just Paracetamol lol

@sistersinhim I did too but his was a fever with altered behaviour which was more of a concern and requires investigation before he could go home. I agreed with this because my mum can only cope with so much. I think at one point it was over 100 in your measurement lol
 
Yesterday was my six week post op check and MRI appointment for sciatica investigation. I had the MRI which result in awful pain last night when I got home even though the radiographer gave me an elevation cushion which helped immensely. I had to put my head just inside and that made me panic. Bit close for comfort in there but the pillow from under my head was removed so I could look back out towards the ceiling and look at the cloud pictures. That helped. Haven’t got the results of the mri yet. The surgeon will chase that up and notify me if I need referral to someone else. Think I have claustrophobia issues lol.

Then I had OS appointment. One look at me and I think he knew it wasn’t going to be a positive report. I relayed my attempts to cut down the meds and the pain that ensued. He looked at my blood results. Lfts still off and ESR up but that could be due to post surgery inflammation. Then he looked at my knee and felt it. He was quite shocked at the heat and swelling. He checked the ROM but I didn’t bother to ask and he didn’t tell me what it was. I know a knee that swollen isn’t going to bend and he didn’t expect it to. So he said it was going to be a long and slow process and to just rest elevate and ice.

He wrote a prescription for the same meds and wants me to continue taking them not sit in pain. He is not surprised at the amount of pain I am in looking at my knee. He did comment on the fact that I’m recovering from lysis 14 weeks ago and TKR revision 6 weeks ago and that will result in a much longer and more difficult recovery. So there we go. I have a review in 6 weeks unless I feel worse or something is wrong.
 
Last edited:
I’m sorry that your leg is still so painful. It’s good you have a doctor who acknowledges that pain and swelling and is supportive.

I guess you dad has a different doctor?
 
[emoji17]@Jockette thank you for your post. I am very thankful that my surgeon acknowledges that something is wrong, the swelling is huge and that the best action is minimal ADLs and no formal exercise. He is very understanding.

Yes my dad has a different surgeon at a different hospital, though I doubt he will have issues regardless of the fact that he doesn’t ice or elevate and is restricting his own medication to minimal, as he doesn’t has issues with swelling. We shall see.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle he’s almost 80. He will go by the rules of the dr. It’s really sad. I tried to explain that he will be more comfortable but they have the instruction sheet from the surgeon and that’s that. Hopefully he won’t cope with his leg on the coffee table and he’ll give up and do what is comfortable.
 
Left to their own devices, most humans opt for what’s most comfortable. Your dad will most likely find his own way. All anyone can do is suggest “Hey, here’s an idea that might work for you.” In the end, it’s up to the patient.

I’m sorry you’re still having so much swelling and discomfort, though heartened that your OS is pragmatic about what’s going on with your knee and not placing unrealistic expectations on your recovery. He’s giving you more meds, which is so helpful, and you should not hesitate to take them. Pain hampers recovery, so knock pain back whenever you can. Rest, elevate, ice and take things slow. Just call it the scenic route. :console2:
 
@SusieShoes you are right. I had a chat to my Mum last night. I think they are realising that keeping the leg straight isn’t really all that comfortable and she has put a pillow under it. He’s comfortable now so it’s better than nothing. She has decided to clarify the whole straight leg no recliner thing with the surgeon next week. Sometimes my dad hears things not quite right lol and then sticks to what he believes he heard. Mum is going to make sure now because it’s so odd.

It’s interesting, I have once again just accepted that the outcome this time is what it is. While I would love to have had a ‘normal’ recovery I’m fully aware there are no guarantees. I guess I look at all the facts. My knee has always swollen more than the normal. I have had many many investigations and operations now on this knee and it has suffered a lot of trauma. In the past 14 weeks it has been subjected to two extremely painful ops not just the TKR revision. In hindsight I honestly can’t expect it to just recover like any other knee that has had a TKR or a revision TKR.

I am thankful the surgeon is on the same page and doesn’t expect miracles. He is a realist. He wants me to take as much medication as required to ensure I have no pain. He also wants me to do the bare minimum. I have realised its best to accept what cannot be changed. It could be worse.

Thankfully, the surgeon is not giving up. He already said that if this isn’t resolved through rest and time there are still many tests that we can do to investigate further if need be. It isn’t a case of this is as good as it gets. We’re just on a slow and steady road to give this knee the time it needs to heal from all the trauma. I also know that he will be on the other end of the line should there be any issues. I don’t feel like I’ve been left ‘hanging’ wondering where I will end up. Thanks SusieShoes for your thoughts.

@Beckadeez oh me too. Elevation keeps my knee comfortable. I must say, my mum has insisted he use ice and I’m pleased about that as he has only been prescribed one medication for the next two weeks other than paracetamol, so icing is also pain relief. I think Mum will advocate for him now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Beckadeez me too. He’s doing ok. Slow and steady now using a walker. Taking meds, doing exercises and ADLs. Just happy he’s comfortable.
 
@shelli22 I'm almost 5 weeks out from my first TKR, I seem to be having a relatively smooth recovery, and I just read your entire thread. I learned a lot and wish you well. I hope you turn the corner to less pain and swelling soon.
 
@HoneyB thank you for reading my thread. I’m glad you’re having a smooth recovery and I honestly hope it continues that way. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about my own journey and those of many others who have similar outcomes. I think the lesson I have taken away from all of this is that recovery works best if you have no expectations that the outcome will be perfect and don’t rush to get to the end. Good luck with the rest of your journey. I’ll come and check in on you from time to time and see how you’re going.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom