TKR 11 months out LTKR still in Pain

My Perch stool came yesterday and my Husband put It together. Works great in front of the counter and stove. Kind of like sitting and standing. Takes the pressure off my knees and feet.

Friday I went back to outpatient PT. After being coached here, I told them I would not do the leg press, that I didn’t like it. Fine with them, no pressure.

On the table my PT wanted to bend and push my knee beyond what I could tolerate.
I said, Ouch! Ouch! He said your Stryker knee can do this, it’s OK. I told him I know my Stryker can do it, but it’s only been 4½ weeks and my knee, though it looks great is swollen inside, plus there is a Baker's cyst in there. It’s counterproductive to me for you to squish my healing tissues.

I told him, I’ll get there, I am not worried about my knee. It’s doing great. He smiled and realized he couldn’t argue with what I said. So all of us have a voice. They let me be the boss of my on body.

Thank you bone smart for all the great information and advice.❤️
 
Awesome report! Make sure you maintain control. I’ve gotten bolder, too, since finding Bonesmart!
 
Could you post the exact name/title of what you ordered on amazon as I can’t find anything that looks like what Josephine posted? Thanks!
 
On Amazon, it’s from Drive Medical. It’s called Drive medical kitchen stool
 
Hello all. First of all Thank you everyone for sharing your stories of recovery. I don’t know what I would have done without this forum to read.

This is my 2nd TKR, the first being in June 5 months ago. I’m 64 yrs old and I was hoping to delay my TKR till I retire in a couple of years but my knee had other plans. Someone said, “Life is what happens when your busy making plans”

I’m 12 days out from my surgery, and this left TKR is completely different than the right. I’ve had a lot of swelling. All the way down from my groin to my calf, with a tremendous amount of calf pain. I can barely put any weight on my left foot as it engages the calf muscle and sends a stabbing, Charlie horse type of pain through it.

I was so worried that I ended up in the ER 6 days ago and a blood clot was ruled out.

I have been elevating, icing, resting, a lot. I started out on oxycodone 10 mg every 4 hours the first few days then reduced it to 10 every 6 hours, occasionally reducing to 5 mg. It wasn’t really helping my calf pain that much. My knee actually feels pretty good, but it’s my calf that’s killing me.

Of course the pharmacist,doctors and insurance company all don’t really want me on oxycodone. The nurse suggested I go off it and try another opioid, now I’m on hydrocodone 5-325, 1-2 every 6 hours. I tried last night 1 tablet every 5 hours. It worked pretty well during the night. But I’ve had breakthrough pain 7-8 this morning. Waiting till the 1½ tablets kicks in. 2 tablets every 6 hours makes me dizzy.

I woke up with a migraine also. So took medicine for that.

This swelling from my groin to my ankle concerns me. I was having some left leg swelling and calf pain prior to surgery. My doctor chalked it up to just arthritis in my knee. But I’m wondering if I could have some edema problem going on with my body in addition to needing a new knee.

Has anyone one else experience swelling from groin to ankle? My thighs are normally quite slim, so I can see a real difference between the right and the left. It’s not like my legs to look like tightly stuffed sausages.

But I’m in quite a lot of pain. The nurse just tells me I’ve had major surgery, and that I will have pain.

Mostly I’m freaked out about the swelling, and that maybe I have a lymph issue. This comes from my brother-in-law, whose leg just suddenly started swelling. He was in the hospital 3 times having ultra sounds of his leg, before they decided to ultra sound his abdominal area and found a lymph tumor.

I’m worried the doctor and staff will think I’m a hysterical ninny. I see my doctor for my post op exam in 4 days
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

And I’ll leave you the Recovery Guidelines for a refresher course:

Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
@BeesKnees! you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated (as in here where the recovery threads have been posted a second time - posts numbers 4 and 49!
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

There was also this notice in the post that Celle left earlier with the recovery guidelines
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks so much for complying with this. :)
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

I have done this for you before but it was back in July. You can read both our responses in posts numbered 17 and 18!
 
Yes Josephine, I’ll answer your questions.

My sister, (I ❤️Her). Just left, she’s the one whose husband had leg swelling problems. And told me my leg did not look as swollen or purple, like his. So that calmed some of my fear down. And before lunch today I took 2, 5 mg 325 hydrocodone tablets with two crackers. Waited 45 minutes and got some good relief. Pain level 3.
Then had lunch. My sister who is a fantastic cook, brought the two of us enough, soup, scalloped potatoes, broccoli salad, Asian lettuce wraps. That my husband won’t have to make lunch or dinner for at least three days.
Now if I can get get my pain regime right, I will be good in time. You would think having gone thru this once already I would have it figured out. But this surgery and where my pain is located, is different than last time.
 
Each knee is different even on the same body! You first surgery was less than 5 months ago. Your body has two knees that it's healing now. It's very possible that this last knee had a lot more damage in it than your first one did. That could account for it being a harder recovery. Be sure you ice and elevate as you can. That should help with that swelling.
 
Sistersinhim, you said that right. My RTKR, my knee hurt. My LTKR my knee feels good and my calf and lower back hurt.
Same doctor, same Stryker knee, 5 months apart.
 
Well tomorrow makes 3 weeks since I’ve had my LTKR. This is going so much slower than my RTKR. The pain last time was in my knee, and I the numbness and neuropathy in my right foot after surgery. Which by the way 6 months later has not gotten better.
This time the pain is in my calf, hamstring,hip and lower back. I guess everything is out of wack. I’ve been first on 10 mg Oxycodone every 4 hours, tapering to 10 mg every 6 hours, for the first 2 weeks. Then switching to Hydrocodone 5-325, 2 every 6 hours. I’ve tried to taper down to 1 Hydrocodone but it doesn’t help my pain enough. 2 every 6 hours doesn’t get completely rid of the pain, but makes life tolerable.
The doctor tells me I can only take opioids for 6 weeks. I have a backup bottle, one week worth from a root canal. Hopefully this will suffice.
He did talk with me about the pressure he receives from who, I don’t know, about not having patients on Opiods for very long.
Patients is not my virtue.
 
Hi IronGirl16,

I’m 3 weeks out today and still taking the maximum dose of my Hydrocodone prescription. And I need it. For all my glute, IT band, calf pain. I’ve been taking a bath, with a waterproof bandage over my scar. I do my heel slides and leg lifts in the tub. Then a massage on my leg. It’s the only thing that loosens me up to do my gentle PT.
We are going to my sister and brother in laws for Thanksgiving. Just a short visit. I will manage my meds so I take them just before we arrive. I have a real hard time finding a comfortable position. Sitting hurts, laying down hurts. Standing and walking feels good for awhile.
I have a question for all of you in the States. What are you doing for Thanksgiving? How are you managing?
 
I hope you feel better soon. Its terrible what this opiod situation is doing to the people who really need them. My RA the other day said to me that knee replacement is a brutal surgery. His exact words. And brutal it is. You would think that surgeons know this and prescribe accordingly. I ask my OS before I had surgery what his policy was regarding pain meds. He told me he prescribes up until 90 days. I found the oxy to strong for me. It made me sleep weird and cry and other things so I switch to tramadol and tylenol and Josephine has recommended so many times before. It worked well for me. I was taking tramadol beforehand because of pain in both knees.

Maybe your doctor can prescribe that for you.

As far as Thanksgiving we are going out to eat. I am 7 weeks out today and cannot cook a big dinner like that yet. Especially a big bird. So the first time in my life we are going out. And its going to be bitter cold outside. So who knows how the knee will handle that situation.

Well good luck to you and have a Happy Thanksgiving...
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you schpooko.
I hope you find dinner out to your liking. I have Celiac disease. I cannot eat The protein gluten found in wheat, barely,rye. So, going out for Thanksgiving isn’t for me. Even at my family’s house. I have to be careful. I can only eat certain things. Not stuffing or gravy, rolls, most dessert ect.
I still got sick last year, she stuffs the turkey with bread dressing.
I’m not about to dictate to her how to be gluten safe for me.

As for Tramadol, it gives me nightmares
 
As far as Thanksgiving we are going out to eat.
The one time I went out to eat on Thanksgiving was a nightmare. It was a cafeteria style that you served yourself. The place was packed and everywhere we had to wait in line. Wait in line to pay and then wait in line to get to the food choices. I hope that's not your plan for T day. I suggest a full service restaurant and not a cafeteria.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom