TKR 11 months out LTKR still in Pain

I was taking 3000 mg of Tylenol a day the first two weeks along with the 2,5mg tablets of Oxycodone. My Oxy had no acetaminophen in it.
But my pain was bad. The PA suggested changing to Enteric coated Advil 400 mg taken three times a day with food.

That has been working better for me.

I agree, I’ve been doing too much. And Type A me is figuring it out. Things like dust bunnies can wait. But I must ask for help, from my friends and family for some of the things that can’t wait like laundry, meals and watering plants so they don’t die.

I’ve also ordered a Dr Lounge leg rest, I think that will work better than my stack of pillows that want to wiggle around.

I’m renting the Donjoy ice machine from my pharmacy. It’s set up on a table next to my bed. My husband installed a floor to ceiling pole on my side. Which he has an off an on switch attached for me to turn my ice machine off and on. Plus another outlet for my electronic devices to charge.

So during the day I’m in the living room on the couch, reading, icing with gel packs, napping, staring out at my garden. At night it’s me and me new Love, Donjoy.
 
So I went to PT yesterday and told my therapist that my legs were aching and I thought it was the leg press. He said no, it’s the way your walking incorrectly that is causing the leg pain. So I did the leg press.

My legs throbbed so bad last night, I had my husband take me to the soothing store. This is Oregon, USA.

I bought some CBD gummies, which I had never tried before. So I tried one instead of 1,5mg Oxycodone. Well it was relaxing, but no real pain relief.

Anyone out there that uses soothing for pain?

Also I’m interested to hear from people who had jobs where they stand, like me a hairdresser.

Sales clerks, nurses, teachers, ect. How soon could you stand for your job after TKR.

I’m now thinking that it’s looking like going back part time after 12 weeks off . Instead of the 4 weeks that the intake doctor told me. What an idiot he was. I feel like a sucker, for believing him.
 
I have a question

Has anyone woken up from TKR and had a completely numb foot? It’s been almost four weeks and my foot is as numb ( burning, tingling,freezing). as it was the first day. It’s really painful. I’ve talked to the PT about it and the PA. Not my OA, I haven seen him since the surgery.

I’m worried that it going to be this way forever.
 
@beesknees, your surgeon is the one you should be telling about your numb foot. It may need investigating. Your PT and your PA can't do that.
Be persistent and ask for an appointment with your surgeon.

BY the way, stop doing the leg press. It's bad for your knee at this early stage of recovery. Don't discuss it with your PT. Just say that it is your decision not to do it.
You have every right to choose what happens to your own knee and your PT has to respect your wishes.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
 
Thank you Celle. I’ll put a call into my OS on Monday. And I’ll let my PT know that I’m not doing leg presss anymore. Or am I going to let him bend my knee to it’s full flexion and firmly massage my scar. He’s trying to break down scar tissue. I’m at 120. That hurts
 
I have a question. I’m just starting five weeks out.

I’d like to get a bar stool height chair to have in my kitchen so I can cook. I just can’t stand for more than 20 min in one place.

Does anyone have a chair they use in their kitchen to cook that is comfortable that they like?

I make simple meals.
But my little poodle Pepper had pancreatitis, and I make his dog food. I have a friend that’s going to help me make it tomorrow. A batch last about 2 weeks, that is if my husband isn’t feeding it to our other dog Ollie, because he feels bad for Ollie.
And Ollie who doesn’t need to be on a special diet wants homemade food too.

I made enough to last 5 weeks, and I’ll be running out soon.

I thought I would be back to normal, driving, working, cooking, cleaning ect, by 5 weeks. No Thanks to the Orthopedists office for not explaining what a long trial this would be.
 
5 weeks out and back to normal. No way. You will be better, but that's a little over 1/12 of the way being healed inside your knee. Outside might look OK, but there's still a whole lot going on inside that knee!
 
Sitting on higher chairs, where your legs dangle, or even if you put your feet on a rung, might be quite uncomfortable. My sister-in-law has high chairs around her dinette and I found them painful to sit in for long up until about the seven month mark. Standing up from them was more painful than from regular height chairs.

One option is to do your prep work at the regular dining table or a snack table. Then have a chair in the kitchen that you can use for short periods while sautéing or doing quick tasks. I did this for a bit until it became comfortable to stand for longer periods.
 
Thanks for your replies everyone. Yeah, I’m thinking the doctors office doesn’t give you the real story because then they would have no business.

It’s brutal. I did have one lady tell me her husband had TKR and it was wonderful and he had no pain whatsoever.

Really?
 
True, it is a brutal surgery. But the ability to walk with no bone on bone pain is worth all the effort. Recovery from knee surgery is like child birth, you forget all the painful details.
 
I did have one lady tell me her husband had TKR and it was wonderful and he had no pain whatsoever.
Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it! Unless he had a pain pump the whole time. Some do have less pain, but I'd not believe he had no pain.
 
I’m thinking he must have had it done when they handed out OxyContin and Oxycodone freely.

That’s how it was when I had my first knee surgery 8 years ago. I had very little pain.
 
Of course you can get a stool. In the UK they handed them out on lone with toilet frames and bath shelves! But you need one something like this which is stable. A bar stool would be UNstable! The point of this stool is that the seat is angled forwards so you're neither sitting nor standing! You can see the angle - the yellow line

[Bonesmart.org] 11 months out LTKR still in Pain



Perhaps you could get one to rent or lone?
 
That looks really nice. I’ll check out Amazon. Does that stool have a manufactures name?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom