MUA 11 Months Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for you to see a pt? Even for a few visits where they can talk to you about gait---perhaps you are not walking with a heel strike and then a roll onto the ball of your foot? If you have not walked like that for a long time, it will take some time for the new gait to be established. I know it is time consuming, but I think a pt could help you right now.
 
I had a terrible time remembering how to walk following my bilateral MUA 3 months after BTKR. I think my post MUA is around 95 to 100 now too (PT will measure tomorrow). I found walking in a swimming pool helped tremendously. I didn't have to use a walker in the water, and I wasn't afraid of falling. At first I used a special flotation support, then quickly graduated to a pool noodle, and soon no support besides the water itself. I still have to use my walker on dry land (I still have terrible weakness), but walking in water really helped me with the proper gait. I also had a therapist in the water who worked with me on correct form. It only took one session for my form to improve significantly. Maybe the water would be helpful to you too.
 
Try using a treadmill if you can get acces to one , head up , heel to toe, heel to toe. Also for flexion , put your foot up 1 or 2 stairs and gently bend knee back and forth. Try that. best of luck . You will be so thankful and happy when you walk out of the tunnel and past the light . Believe it !!
 
When you say you had an MUA one month ago, what date was that? March 28th or thereabouts? What ROM did your surgeon say he'd achieved during the MUA?

If you have had dicky legs and a limp - and quite likely bad ROM - for 30 odd years, then it's quite possibly that you might not get as fantastic a result as you'd hoped. But on the other hand, you are only 5 months out so there's still time for improvements to happen.
 
My mua was done around March 12 I did not find out what rom he got. I was on a cpm machine for 2weeks and the when I was done the cpm was at 110.i am staying positive that this new knee will help.
 
You know, your ROM will increase as time goes along no matter what you do. It really is 75% Time and 20% R&R and 5% activities to encourage leg fitness. I do sympathize with how slow progress can be for such a knee. I remember feeling as if nothing changed, as it wasn't noticeable day to day.
 
how was the pain after the MUa
 
I am having the mua this wed (two days away) and I am more nervous about this than I was to have the actual tkr. I do, however trust my surgeon


 
The pain is not as bad as having my knee done. There was alot of swelling but I iced my knee all the time .
 
I had my MUA done one week ago and am having a very difficult time with pain. Before the MUA my ROA was 95 and today at PT it was only 88 and that was with tears and lots of pain. I am very discouraged as I feel I was doing so much better before this procedure.
 
@@willow1 Can we interest you in starting a recovery thread? It's normal to "go backwards" after MUA, but if you or your PT is pushing your knee, that also will cause things to regress and will increase inflammation. Inflammation is the setting where scar tissue occurs. So it's important after MUA to do the opposite of what "they" tell you to do. Gentle stretches, do nothing that is painful, keep up the icing/elevating/rest. If you focus on this rather than PT, your knee will start to bend better.
 
After my mua it took about 7-10 days to get the swelling down. I was on a cpm machine for 10 straight days that has helped my rom. You have to remember that your knee has been beaten up once again. Keep excrsicing it will feel better. Ps ice ice ice it really does help.
 
Hi it has been 7 months since my tkr and 3 months since I had a mua done. I contiue to struggle with trying to straighten my knee. I have been to a pt 2 x a week and we can not get this knee to work. After the mua I gained rom from 60 to around 95 but lost on the extension. I am getting very frustrated and any ideas will help me get through this?
 
In two more days, I will be one year from surgery and like you, I can't totally straighten either leg. Maybe I should have had a MUA long ago and now its mostly too late for one. While on a bed or couch I can touch the back of my knees to the mattress or cushion, but if I sit on the floor, its not even close to touching the floor. I'm about a 5 on each leg.. I have been using the JAS system and it has helped a great deal, but still can't get them totally straight. Since using this system, my knees feel better and are much looser and it has even helped with bending the knees. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to straighten them again.
 
See also my exercises thread from my sig

There is nothing to stop the exercises working, no physical or mechanical feature of the knee.

It's simple (and so as not to be disrespectful I fully understand that 'simple' is not the same as 'easy'), do exercises nice and gently several/many times a day.

Walking with a long stride is a fine exercise, you'll feel the stretch down the back of the leg.
 
Take it slow, it will get better. Where you able to do before the surgrey? I had trouble before touching the floor so it just took me a little longer. Keep up the work and remember go slow. Take care Tashia
 
[Bonesmart.org] 11 Months Ouch
@gman33, You may notice that I have merged your three threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom